is it a girl? what locale could it be?

LanceLee

Am i right that this 5cm baby chameleon is a girl?

i'm thinking because of the shape of its tail

is there any chance it might be a boy? also could it be a tamatve?

what could be its locale based on the red tones in its eyelids?

i got this baby hatched from eggs laid by its mother which is of an unknown locale. but she was apparently mated to a Tamatve before she was sold to me. she laid eggs within the first week she came to my house, and this is the first of the babies....

many thanks for your help

girl.jpeg

At this age, colour is really no indicator and I have seen many young females look more colourful that their brothers. Based on the tail I see a female. The angle goes up and not in a line towards the belly as is typical in young males. Lifting that tail up, as you are in this pic, can be deceiving and I see why the previous poster may think male.

Try posting a pic in similar position without holding the tail up for a more accurate sexing.

If it was bred to a Tamatave, then it IS "part" Tamatave. However, if the mother is of an unknown locale, it is very important that when you sell the babies that you disclose this information. There is nothing wrong with mixed locality chams, but it is important that people know this so they don't accidentally use these cham in a breeding project thinking they are pure locality Tamataves. Many breeders and hobbyist breeders are working hard to keep the localities pure. Good luck with your cham.

。。。 it is very important that when you sell the babies that you disclose this information. There is nothing wrong with mixed locality chams, but it is important that people know this so they don't accidentally use these cham in a breeding project thinking they are pure locality Tamataves. Many breeders and hobbyist breeders are working hard to keep the localities pure. Good luck with your cham.

thanks, i will certainly bear that in mind.

i won't be selling my chameleons, most likely, i wish to trade them for different locales and to broaden the gene pool

btw, could you also help see if this baby cham is a boy or girl, please?

Last edited:
@LanceLee you have a beautiful little girl. Her colors are intense but most certainly a female. As for locale, you will never know as all the females will look similar despite their locale. You will just have to keep / breed her as an unknown locale.

That last picture is perfect! I agree, she looks female. She is on the small side. But she looks healthy! If you could take a picture like that with a better background you could do good with the photo contest!

That last picture is perfect! I agree, she looks female. She is on the small side. But she looks healthy! If you could take a picture like that with a better background you could do good with the photo contest!

thanks for the compliments, i will try to participate in the photo contest with better backgrounds, thanks for your encouragement.

Are there certain locales that are naturally smaller than other locales?

Back
Top Bottom