Is Iggy eating sand!?!????

scs

My veiled female (somewhere between 8 and 11 months old) is currently sitting on a branch over her nesting box and repeatedly flicking her tongue out onto the sand. There aren't any bugs down there!!! She has never taken any interest in going into or near her box, and now all at once she is eating sand! Help please!:(:eek:
She is perfectly healthy and has never done this before, at least not to my knowledge.
I don't know how long she has been sitting there, I came over just now and found her there....

My veiled female (somewhere between 8 and 11 months old) is currently sitting on a branch over her nesting box and repeatedly flicking her tongue out onto the sand. There aren't any bugs down there!!! She has never taken any interest in going into or near her box, and now all at once she is eating sand! Help please!:(:eek:
She is perfectly healthy and has never done this before, at least not to my knowledge.
I don't know how long she has been sitting there, I came over just now and found her there....

Something on the surface is attracting her attention. Is there water beading up on the sand? Are there shiny flecks in the sand? Sometimes chams shoot at shiny objects testing to see if its water. If she's not gravid and won't need to lay a clutch any time soon, maybe you should cover the sand surface with a screen or flat rocks too large for her to pick up on her tongue. Though, if all she's doing is shooting at flecks she's hopefully not picking up large amounts of sand and eating it. If she was grabbing mouthfuls of sand that's a different matter.

Something on the surface is attracting her attention. Is there water beading up on the sand? Are there shiny flecks in the sand? Sometimes chams shoot at shiny objects testing to see if its water. If she's not gravid and won't need to lay a clutch any time soon, maybe you should cover the sand surface with a screen or flat rocks too large for her to pick up on her tongue. Though, if all she's doing is shooting at flecks she's hopefully not picking up large amounts of sand and eating it. If she was grabbing mouthfuls of sand that's a different matter.

-no water beading up on the sand, nothing shiny

-no gravid coloration or behaviors

-about what size rocks?

-it looked like her tongue was returning to her mouth completely clean, no sand sticking on it.

Thanks a lot for the help, and since she isn't eating the sand should I just keep an eye out for this peculiar behavior and not do a whole lot yet?

Back
Top Bottom