Is he ok?

I am guessing screened tank just means screened cage. The terminology is confusing when you just get started with cham care. At least it was for me. As for the black dots, I'd probably have him evaluated too. He such a little cutie and you wouldn't want him to be suffering unnecessarily from anything. When I had a veiled cham, she had an eye problem that didn't resolve until I got her to the vet and she was much happier then. People here can help you figure out how to find a vet if you are okay with taking him in and not sure how to find one who specialized with chams.
Yes, but in the other thread, he referred to the screen tank to a 10 gallon, or something like that. I didn't mean to be negative, I just needed to make sure we were on the same page. Good thing you will be getting the screen tank soon, your chameleon will be really happy! Just watch humidity, you live in New York, right? Happy Chameleon Keeping!!!:):p:D:p:D:)

Last edited:
Kind of figured I would write up a list of stuff to help keep you up to date:

1) Screened enclosure - You are buying tomorrow according to your last post, would you mind if people gave you suggestions?

2) UVB Light and Fixture - We still haven't heard feedback on this

3) Supplements - Same as above, haven't heard feedback from you yet

4) More vines, possibly a live plant (Don't know how large of a tank you are getting him yet.)

5) Hydrometer

Also, for my sanity, please tell us what the temps in the cage are.

I am thankful to see you looking for advice. You are doing a great job. Please continue to comment on the status of all the stuff listed above. All of these are CRUCIAL for the health of your little one.

Here is the safe plant list, for your convenience:

http://flchams.com/chameleon-safe-plant-list/

Make sure if you do get a real plant to rinse it off with water to take off the pesticides.

As far as the post above me you need to do more than to rinse off the pesticides. You need to change the soil in the plant as well to organic. Take the plant and shake off all the old soil from the roots. Next take the plant and turn it upside down in some dawn and swish it around well. Rinse the plant off well and repot with organic soil. Make sure to cover the top with rocks and you are good to go.

As far as the post above me you need to do more than to rinse off the pesticides. You need to change the soil in the plant as well to organic. Take the plant and shake off all the old soil from the roots. Next take the plant and turn it upside down in some dawn and swish it around well. Rinse the plant off well and repot with organic soil. Make sure to cover the top with rocks and you are good to go.

I forgot to even post about that. Rocks do help make sure they don't get access to the soil.

@mylittlebabyPASCAL Can you please respond to our questions regarding the UVB light? We still haven't had you acknowledge what we're saying and this is absolutely critical for the long term survival of your chameleon. Since there have already been several instances of misunderstanding here, I want to be absolutely certain you understand. You've liked several posts of people which come chronologically after our questions about the lights so I know you're still paying attention to the thread, even though you are for some reason ignoring our questions.

So I'll ask again: What are your plans regarding the UVB light? Do you have any questions that need clarifying?

reptisun5-500x500.jpg

You need a linear UVB, not exactly this bulb, but something linear.

I have a UVA light. I will be going out in a few minutes to buy the UVB . Can you guys inform me on how I’m suppose to use to light ?

If you get the UVB linear, you will need to get a hood to put it in (Example mentioned in previous post: http://www.lllreptile.com/products/34497-zoo-med-repti-sun-terrarium-hood-24-inch)

You keep both lights on for 12 hours and then have them off 12 hours. Most people use a timer. The basking light (the one that could be 40v halogen) needs a perch about 6-8 inches beneath it. You don't want him too close to the light or he can get burned if it emits too much heat. It helps to put a thermometer on the wall right next to the basking perch at the same height so you can track the exact temperature that he is exposed to with the light and make sure it's in the correct range. Let us know if you have other questions about the lights.

Hi! Welcome to the forums.

Please fill out the form below in as much details as you can and include a couple more photos of the enclosure and the chameleon. This will help us help you as quickly and as completely as possible! Briefly with what you've already provided: his eyes look a bit sunken, so he may be dehydrated. As for the black areas around the mouth, they don't look completely normal to me but someone else may have better comments to make on them

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

Guys I need help! I think my chameleon is dying! He is probably about 3 to 4 months old and he has been acting weird and I haven't been seeing him eat or drink. He is shedding on his head and eyes recently and has been sitting at the bottom of his cage idk what to do. Please help I'm very worried! :(

Guys I need help! I think my chameleon is dying! He is probably about 3 to 4 months old and he has been acting weird and I haven't been seeing him eat or drink. He is shedding on his head and eyes recently and has been sitting at the bottom of his cage idk what to do. Please help I'm very worried! :(

Please make your own post in the health forum. This is an old thread and will not receive enough attention. It is important not to hijack other people's threads. Make a new post and include photo of your chameleon and its enclosure. It is a very bad sign for a chameleon to be at the bottom of its home

Please make your own post in the health forum. This is an old thread and will not receive enough attention. It is important not to hijack other people's threads. Make a new post and include photo of your chameleon and its enclosure. It is a very bad sign for a chameleon to be at the bottom of its home
I didn't know how to do that so sorry. But he is now bright colors and sitting at the top of his enclosure so I think he must've just been acting very weird.

I didn't know how to do that so sorry. But he is now bright colors and sitting at the top of his enclosure so I think he must've just been acting very weird.

I wouldn't be too sure. Please share photos with us anyways. Click on the forums link, select the health one, and click "make new post." It is NOT worth the risk to just hope he is fine now

@mylittlebabyPASCAL I feel a little sorry for you right now--you have been inundated with advice and no one addressed your original question.

Black marks around mouth look like marks from trauma to the skin. Baby skin is especially fragile and will mark up very easily. Some people call it "bruising" but I don't think that is what is going on. Bruising is bleeding and that's not what seems to trigger black marks. For example, if I inject a really small amount of Baytril under the skin, I will get a black mark that might be 1" in diameter. If I restrain a chameleon to give it meds, I will get big black marks on either side of its head. They are superficial and will go away unless there is a lot of damage.

I wonder if someone was forcing his mouth open to medicate, force feed, or force fluids into him. That's what my guess is why he has them.

What does concern me is that his lips do not meet smoothly. There can be many reasons for that, anything from just a fluke picture to serious disease process. Here are a few reasons I can think of off the top of my head:

A fluke picture that just caught him like that and is nothing at all;
A calcium deficiency either caused by poor nutrition or kidney failure will cause deformities of the jaw;
An infection of the lips/gums/mouth will also distort the lips;
Debris around the gums/teeth can distort how the lips meet;
Damage to the lips/jaw from someone manhandling him to try to force his mouth open.

I am not concerned with the black markings on his face. Really watch his lips and mouth. The lips should meet smoothly--they shouldn't spread apart when his mouth is closed. Here are a few baby pictures to try to illustrate what I mean. Different species, of course, but I hope you can see what I am talking about. I hope you weren't too overwhelmed by all the advice you received. Good luck with him.

20171202_143009.jpg

20180103_151655.jpg

20171122_103818.jpg

20171123_141130.jpg

Back
Top Bottom