Hey guys, well my chameleon has been on a worm streak for a few weeks now. He wont eat grasshoppers or crickets. Only superworms. Well, i got some waxworms for the first time today and i was wondering what would be a good way to introduce them to him.
is there a reason why you are giving him wax worms? most of us dont even use wax worms at all unless you are trying to put weight gain on the animal, and even then moderation is required. with that said, chams love wax worms, they love superworms, just like people, love the fatty foods, but just be careful, as stated above (1 wax worm = 1 big mac) (a feeding of wax worms would equal to like 2 quarter pound big macs with 3 layers of filet-o-fishes) craziness lol.
hornworms, silks and butters are the 3 you want to focus more on feeding (along with your other feeders like crickets, roaches and beetles) and if you chameleon loved the wax worms, im sure he'll love the butters just as much
Yeah, i knew they were fatty but my chameleon doesnt eat anything but superworms and his ribs are starting to show a little. I need to put meat on his bones and give him a little variety in his diet. My other cham on the other hand loves everything.
superworms are a fatty food as well, but can be used as a portion of their staple diet. can you fill out a help form? i'm leaving for a few hours now, but someone else can help you out, and when i get back i will help as well. cheers
I agree with the above posts, the waxworms are fatty for their diet, feed them as a treat once in a while and you shouldn't have a problem. I feed them once a month to both my Veiled's. Try and look around for some dubia roaches, hornworms, silkworms. Site sponsors sell worms and crickets too.
Heres the help form:
* Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
* Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
* Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
* Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
* Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
* Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
* History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
* Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
* Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
* Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
* Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
* Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
* Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
* Location - Where are you geographically located?
Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.