Introducing Sniper!

Just so you guys know, she always stayed on the top part of the cage these last 2 days, today she went on the bottom and started exploring, so I opened the cage a little bit and offered her a little branch with some leaves (a bouquet pretty much) while I was sitting on the floor so that she could feel safe being above me, she came out after a couple minutes after checking surroundings (never thought it’d be this hard to stand still for 2 minutes lol) so I moved a plant next to the desk so that she could climb it down, didn’t have to touch her at all. I was really careful looking at her body language and colors, she was light green the whole time, except for when I grabbed the phone to take a picture (of course) it was the longest and slowest 40 mins of my life, there was not a sound and I moved less than 1 inch per minute lol I opened up the window so that she could catch some real UVB and she looked very happy about it, she was really shy climbing up my finger at first (she would only put one foot on it and then she’d stay still) but at the end of the adventure she would climb my hand with no hesitation. It was a great experience for me, hopefully she enjoyed it too :)
Yayyyyy that is a big deal and a great first moment in trust building!

Anyway, what’s the good side of having a girl other than less colors, smaller size, shorter life, laying bin and extra care during laying period?? Lmao any other good news I’m not aware of??
My ladies show some amazing colors and patterns. As they aren’t always there, you tend to really get blown away when they show how gorgeous they are. As long as your husbandry is correct and you limit temps and food, laying shouldn’t be any problem. You’ll still worry over her like an expectant spouse though and will be proud of her work in laying those eggs. 😄 It also adds to your knowledge about chams. Lots of pluses in having a little lady.

Just so you guys know, she always stayed on the top part of the cage these last 2 days, today she went on the bottom and started exploring, so I opened the cage a little bit and offered her a little branch with some leaves (a bouquet pretty much) while I was sitting on the floor so that she could feel safe being above me, she came out after a couple minutes after checking surroundings (never thought it’d be this hard to stand still for 2 minutes lol) so I moved a plant next to the desk so that she could climb it down, didn’t have to touch her at all. I was really careful looking at her body language and colors, she was light green the whole time, except for when I grabbed the phone to take a picture (of course) it was the longest and slowest 40 mins of my life, there was not a sound and I moved less than 1 inch per minute lol

:confused: Wha If that were true, we couldn't keep UVB lighting on tops of enclosures. :unsure:
No, most window screen used on windows is extremely dense so tiny tiny bugs can’t come in. What’s used on enclosures has bigger openings (at least mine do compared to my window‘s window screen)

So UVB will penetrate your screen in your windows but at very low levels.... Not where you need it for the cham. FYI this also depends on your location and time of day where the sun is really sitting to shine through. Most weather apps will tell you your UVI level in your area at that time. That would be comparable to outside full sun nothing blocking the rays to reduce it.
Fiberglass screen does reduce it further. @ERKleRose is right the bug screen is even denser mesh and causes a lower penetration of UVB.
This was a post I did a while back. full sun on the window then compared to full sun outside and full sun outside in my outdoor enclosure that has aluminum screening. https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/window-screen-and-uvb.178902/post-1613802

No, most window screen used on windows is extremely dense so tiny tiny bugs can’t come in. What’s used on enclosures has bigger openings (at least mine do compared to my window‘s window screen)
That doesn't mean, "... [ I ]t’ll block most (if not all) UVB." It's the "all" I disagree with, and I'm dubious about "most".

If direct sunlight will come through a screen, UVB will come through it.

Obviously(?) if the window is shaded by an overhang, on the North side of the structure, etc. then UVB won't come through, but that's not direct sunlight.

There are all kinds of window screen mesh; standard is 16 x 18 (the size of my window screens).
The screen that blocks tiny insects is 20 x 20. I've seen up to 4 x 4.
The mesh in a DS enclosure is 14 x 18, which is slightly larger (more holes) than standard window screen.

Love the pic of him holding a cricket.
That was so cool! Looks like it's about to body slam the cricket in its mouth. I have never seen
Happy Spongebob Squarepants GIF
them use their hands like this.

Back
Top Bottom