Introducing Sniper!

SerpeRoma

Avid Member
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Veiled, got him today as a gift, even though I didn't feel like I was ready to be a cham daddy yet.. should be 2 months old, not sure
  • Handling - Never touched him if not to put him in his enclosure when I got him
  • Feeding - Gave him 10 pinhead crickets coated in calcium w/o D3 and some fruit flies, will give him calcium with D3 twice a month along with multivitamins. Haven't gut-loaded feeders yet
  • Supplements - currently using rep-cal calcium, have multivitamins by same brand and calcium with D3 by zoomed, will get arcadia supplements asap
  • Watering - I'm misting by hand twice a day AM and PM for 30 sec, made a dripper from half gallon milk bottle, haven't seen him drink so far
  • Fecal Description - still no poop, will update asap
  • History - None, just been told he should be a couple months old
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - screen cage 18x18x36 by ExoTerra, already ordered a 2x2x4 that will arrive next week
  • Lighting - linear uvb bulb by zoomed 11" (I believe) will upgrade asap!! 12h a day on, 12h off at 7am and pm.
  • Temperature - cage temperature is 77° on basking spot, 72° on the bottom. Measuring with Zilla's digital thermo-hygrometer
  • Humidity - 50%, usually stays around that level most of the day.
  • Plants - using live plants only, just a fake thin vine. Pothos, spider plant, umbrella tree and a small areca palm
  • Placement - the cage is on my desk, fairly close to a window, top of the cage is approximately 6" high
  • Location - Southern California
    2B0427F5-C735-4E17-984E-8AE2905DD468.jpeg
    46B627C4-ADF2-4232-BAE4-0CA0BA54B8DB.jpeg
    4301E2E3-973B-45D6-A981-AAC70007ACD5.jpeg
    6D50B561-E1FE-45FF-9192-79A87896DD56.jpeg

The mistings should be a minimum of 2-5+ minutes or longer, mostly everything else looks good! What will you gutload with? Please do not start double threads, as it’s confusing. Since this one will be seen more, try to only respond to this one

Watering - I'm misting by hand twice a day AM and PM for 30 sec, made a dripper from half gallon milk bottle, haven't seen him drink so far
and
Humidity - 50%, usually stays around that level most of the day
How are you measuring the humidity levels and do you have a hygrometer in the cage? The only problem with misting twice (once at morning and once at night) is that it possibly leaves a long time with lower humidity in between mistings at night when the humidity should peak. It may be possible that the humidity is within the acceptable range at night (between 75% and 100% humidity), but that is what the hygrometer will tell you. If the hygrometer tells you the humidity is too low at night (say at 3 in the morning), then you need to up the humidity (either invest in a humidifer, mist more frequently, or get a mistking). If the hygrometer tells you that the humidity is in the correct range, then you don't need to change anything.

Temperature - cage temperature is 77° on basking spot
I would up this temperature slightly to 80 degrees.

Plants - using live plants only, just a fake thin vine.
Veiled chameleons are known to munch on leaves. It's better to be safe than sorry and remove that vine. If your little dude (super cute btw) were to munch on a fake leaf and ingest it, he could become impacted and die.

My only other helpful advice would be to watch out for screen crawling. Baby chameleons will climb on the screen top, getting too close to the lights, and end up with serious burns. A way to prevent this is by moving your basking branch closer to the screen top, and then move your basking and uvb light up off the top an equal amount. This way, if your cham does end up climbing the screen, he can't get as close to the lights, preventing him from getting serious burns.

It seems like you did your research! I am glad to see that you have already taken the initiative on getting him a better uvb light and a larger cage. Nice job mate! That one pic where he is holding a cricket reminds me of King Kong:ROFLMAO:.

and

How are you measuring the humidity levels and do you have a hygrometer in the cage? The only problem with misting twice (once at morning and once at night) is that it possibly leaves a long time with lower humidity in between mistings at night when the humidity should peak. It may be possible that the humidity is within the acceptable range at night (between 75% and 100% humidity), but that is what the hygrometer will tell you. If the hygrometer tells you the humidity is too low at night (say at 3 in the morning), then you need to up the humidity (either invest in a humidifer, mist more frequently, or get a mistking). If the hygrometer tells you that the humidity is in the correct range, then you don't need to change anything.

I would up this temperature slightly to 80 degrees.

Veiled chameleons are known to munch on leaves. It's better to be safe than sorry and remove that vine. If your little dude (super cute btw) were to munch on a fake leaf and ingest it, he could become impacted and die.

My only other helpful advice would be to watch out for screen crawling. Baby chameleons will climb on the screen top, getting too close to the lights, and end up with serious burns. A way to prevent this is by moving your basking branch closer to the screen top, and then move your basking and uvb light up off the top an equal amount. This way, if your cham does end up climbing the screen, he can't get as close to the lights, preventing him from getting serious burns.

It seems like you did your research! I am glad to see that you have already taken the initiative on getting him a better uvb light and a larger cage. Nice job mate! That one pic where he is holding a cricket reminds me of King Kong:ROFLMAO:.
I'm measuring the humidity levels with Zilla's digital thermo-hygrometer, can't get it wet though, so I take it out before misting and replace it in a safe place around the middle of the cage right after, my concern is to raise the humidity too much since it's usually around 40-50% during the day and according to Chameleon Academy it should be 30-50%, but I will get a misting system soon for night times (after getting a better uvb light).

About the temperature, since he's very young and climbing the cage top, I'm keeping the light at minimum power (I have one of those switches that you can rotate to intensify power) and I'll figure something out to make it safe for him!

Do you think it would be ok if I just remove the leafs from the vine? I found it very helpful and easy to adjust, I've also used it to put the feeding cup in place..

Btw thank you very much for the advises! I did some research, but it's never enough lol will always ask you guys an extra opinion! I already love this lil guy so much, will let him know you guys appreciated his pose!! :)

my concern is to raise the humidity too much since it's usually around 40-50% during the day and according to Chameleon Academy it should be 30-50%, but I will get a misting system soon for night times (after getting a better uvb light).
40%-50% is just as good as 30%-50% during the day. These are just acceptable ranges. If your humidity all day was 50%, that would be fine since it is in the acceptable range. If it was 53-55% or greater, then you would need to fix something. And the same goes for the lower end. If your humidity was 30% all day, that would be fine. But if it dropped below 30%, you would also have to fix something (e.g mist more frequently or fog, etc). Glad to hear that you will get a misting system soon and a better uvb light! What is your nighttime humidity?

About the temperature, since he's very young and climbing the cage top, I'm keeping the light at minimum power (I have one of those switches that you can rotate to intensify power) and I'll figure something out to make it safe for him!
You can always raise up the branches closer to the screen top, and then move the basking and uvb lights up off the screen top an equal amount. This way you can utilize more volume in the cage, and if he decides to climb the screen, he can't get as close to the lights. Getting too close to the lights can result in nasty burns. Also, this way you can get the basking spot up in temp without worrying about him getting burned.

Do you think it would be ok if I just remove the leafs from the vine? I found it very helpful and easy to adjust, I've also used it to put the feeding cup in place..
Absolutely, you can remove the leaves and keep the vine! Good thinking!

Btw thank you very much for the advises! I did some research, but it's never enough lol will always ask you guys an extra opinion! I already love this lil guy so much, will let him know you guys appreciated his pose!! :)
You are absolutely welcome! Always feel free to ask for help on the forums--that is why we are here. If your cham runs into problems (medical, etc) don't feel embarrassed to ask for advice. Accidents happen. We just want what is best for your chameleon:)

Back
Top Bottom