Introducing Sniper!

SerpeRoma

Avid Member
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Got him today as a gift, even though I didn't feel like I was ready to be a cham daddy yet.. should be 2 months old, not sure
  • Handling - Never touched him if not to put him in his enclosure when I got him
  • Feeding - Gave him 10 pinhead crickets coated in calcium w/o D3 and some fruit flies, will give him calcium with D3 twice a month along with multivitamins. Haven't gut-loaded feeders yet
  • Supplements - currently using rep-cal calcium, have multivitamins by same brand and calcium with D3 by zoomed, will get arcadia supplements asap
  • Watering - I'm misting by hand twice a day AM and PM for 30 sec, made a dripper from half gallon milk bottle, haven't seen him drink so far
  • Fecal Description - still no poop, will update asap
  • History - None, just been told he should be a couple months old

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - screen cage 18x18x36 by ExoTerra, already ordered a 2x2x4 that will arrive next week
  • Lighting - linear uvb bulb by zoomed 11" (I believe) will upgrade asap!! 12h a day on, 12h off at 7am and pm.
  • Temperature - cage temperature is 77° on basking spot, 72° on the bottom. Measuring with Zilla's digital thermo-hygrometer
  • Humidity - 50%, usually stays around that level most of the day.
  • Plants - using live plants only, just a fake thin vine. Pothos, spider plant, umbrella tree and a small areca palm
  • Placement - the cage is on my desk, fairly close to a window, top of the cage is approximately 6" high
  • Location - Southern California
    IMG_20210123_141237.jpg
    IMG_20210123_141218.jpg
    IMG_20210123_144038_396.jpg
    IMG_20210123_141736_574.jpg

The mistings should be a minimum of 2-5+ minutes or longer, mostly everything else looks good! What will you gutload with?

The mistings should be a minimum of 2-5+ minutes or longer, mostly everything else looks good! What will you gutload with?
I will be using mustard greens, escarole lettuce, papaya and alfalfa, probably kale, carrots and orange too! About the misting, should I mist even when there’s a high humidity level already?

I will be using mustard greens, escarole lettuce, papaya and alfalfa, probably kale, carrots and orange too! About the misting, should I mist even when there’s a high humidity level already?
You can use a whole room dehumidifier to lower room levels, which will lower cage levels, for the humidity if it’s over 50% during the day. Try to do at least 2 minutes twice during the day, once in the morning and once at night, so he has an opportunity to drink. Here’s a gutload chart for some great reference

Attachments

• chameleon-gutload 3.jpg
    chameleon-gutload 3.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 75
I'm pretty sure it's a female too! I have a different question now though, last night we had a storm where I live and today the humidity is up to 60%, I just spent $200 yesterday for a new cage and uvb light, and today the little lady here has being acting weird.. she's been basking most of the time and occasionally closes one eye for a few seconds, I would like to buy a dehumidifier but I have to wait until I finish my shift at work today.. could it be for today's conditions? Or maybe a vitamin A deficiency? Should I take her to the vet? She's been doing it today for the first time, also I'm not very happy with her color..
16119546005596646176826413957022.jpg
16119546469431705178652695490234.jpg

I'm pretty sure it's a female too! I have a different question now though, last night we had a storm where I live and today the humidity is up to 60%, I just spent $200 yesterday for a new cage and uvb light, and today the little lady here has being acting weird.. she's been basking most of the time and occasionally closes one eye for a few seconds, I would like to buy a dehumidifier but I have to wait until I finish my shift at work today.. could it be for today's conditions? Or maybe a vitamin A deficiency? Should I take her to the vet? She's been doing it today for the first time, also I'm not very happy with her color.. View attachment 290831View attachment 290832
She could have something in her eye? Is it just the same eye that’s closing? Does the other one look fine? Are your branches cleaned well no loose pieces? Also the branches are really thick for her try putting smaller ones so she can grasp well. My girl is mainly at her basking spot most of the day but is fully aware and moves when she wants but that’s mainly her spot. Those are a few questions hopefully @ Beman can answer you soon
Edit: Has she shed before with you? I see some white small spots she may start shedding soon but I don’t know

She could have something in her eye? Is it just the same eye that’s closing? Does the other one look fine? Are your branches cleaned well no loose pieces? Also the branches are really thick for her try putting smaller ones so she can grasp well. Those are a few questions hopefully @ Beman can answer you soon
Yes, she’s only closing that one for a few seconds at the time.. the braches arrangement has being done yesterday, was planning on getting some other plants later today, branches have been cleaned and she has thinner vines too

Yes, she’s only closing that one for a few seconds at the time.. the braches arrangement has being done yesterday, was planning on getting some other plants later today, branches have been cleaned and she has thinner vines too
I edited my post so look at it :). I still think the branch may be a little too thick for her little body. Are most of your branches around the same size?

16119561411266969802236348396516.jpg

This is the new cage I got her yesterday, she's on the thickest branch rn, she hasn't she'd since I got her yet, I got her 6 days ago

View attachment 290834
This is the new cage I got her yesterday, she's on the thickest branch rn, she hasn't she'd since I got her yet, I got her 6 days ago
Definitely needs more foliage so get those plants as soon as you can and try and add more sticks like everywhere you can but a good distance from the top but usually lots of plants will be good enough foliage as well.

Definitely needs more foliage so get those plants as soon as you can and try and add more sticks like everywhere you can but a good distance from the top but usually lots of plants will be good enough foliage as well.
Will definitely do!

That top branch looks way too close to the UVB (which can cause eye issues)! Her cages needs more foliage (live plants only), branches, and vines, as well. It doesn’t hurt to take her to vet either, it’ll give you peace of mind and get treatment if something is wrong. What is the brand and strength of your UVB bulb, and how far away is it from her basking branch? Here are two great cage set-up links:
https://chameleonacademy.com/setting-up-a-chameleon-cage/
http://www.muchadoaboutchameleons.com/2012/04/how-to-set-up-proper-chameleon.html

That top branch looks way too close to the UVB (which can cause eye issues)! Her cages needs more foliage (live plants only), branches, and vines, as well. It doesn’t hurt to take her to vet either, it’ll give you peace of mind and get treatment if something is wrong. What is the brand and strength of your UVB bulb, and how far away is it from her basking branch? Here are two great cage set-up links:
https://chameleonacademy.com/setting-up-a-chameleon-cage/
http://www.muchadoaboutchameleons.com/2012/04/how-to-set-up-proper-chameleon.html
Reptisun T8 terrarium hood with Arcadia 6% bulb, around 8-9 inches away from basking branch, I just read on another thread that I might have to change the bulb with a 10.0, is that correct?

Reptisun T8 terrarium hood with Arcadia 6% bulb, around 8-9 inches away from basking branch, I just read on another thread that I might have to change the bulb with a 10.0, is that correct?
Yes, for a T8 fixture, you need either the Arcadia 12% or the Zoo Med 10.0 T8 bulbs. Are you sure about the distance? The top branches are basically touching the screen. I’d also different diameters of branches for her
7F927722-86C0-4451-A020-8F5EBF6258B6.jpeg

Yes, for a T8 fixture, you need either the Arcadia 12% or the Zoo Med 10.0 T8 bulbs. Are you sure about the distance? The top branches are basically touching the screen. I’d also different diameters of branches for herView attachment 290840
Yeah it was a last minute change, one of the vines is a fake one, attached to the cage top to keep it in position, the other one I’ve just added, it’s from outside (obviously I cleaned it first) also the uvb lamp was raised by a couple inches, but since she choose that branch as basking spot I lowered it..

I think I just saw her sneezing, I will take her to the vet.. anyone know how much it is more or less? I will try to get as many tips as I can today at work..

Back
Top Bottom