Introducing Pee Wee the Lil' Mystery Man

carol5208

Chameleon Enthusiast
I want to introduce to everyone my little Ambanja I have approriately named Pee Wee. I purchased PeeWee back in November from Tree Candy Chameleons. Shauna, the owner and I have been in close contact from day one on his progress or lack of. I have not shown him to anyone as I have had a few problems with him, mainly that he refuses to grow properly. PeeWee turned 7 months old yesterday and weighs just a mere 12 grams. From the beginning, he just never had much of an appetite for any of the feeders I offered him, and never shed or grew. I did find these little long legged flies in my yard he would eat, so I spent countless hours on my hands and knees catching them with a cup just to make sure he was eating something. It took me quite awhile to get a fecal done as the poop was so small, by the time I would find it, it would be all dried up! So got the fecal and it came back with the dreaded Cociddia! I alerted Shauna of this and she tested some of his clutchmates and they all came back negative, so he must have got it from something he ate here. Maybe the flies, who knows! I had to treat him for the parasite and it was no easy task dosing a 6 gram chameleon! It took 3 of us; one to hold him, one to hold my red phone in front of him to get him to open his mouth, and another to squirt the med in!! After two rounds of treatments and two more fecals he tested clean! I still have to get another done very soon as I am aware it is a bugger to get rid of permanently. He has gained 6 grams since the treatment. I know Cociddia can stunt growth, but not sure to this extent. The other odd thing, is none of her other chameleons from her clutches have any orange in them whatsoever and are mostly blue, not green! He looks like a 3 month old pretty much. Just starting to get a little color. Shauna has been wonderful through everything and has offered me another chameleon if I choose. Right now, I am riding out the storm so to speak with this little squirt and see how things develop. I am keeping him no matter what, even if I get another down the road. I will keep you updated on his future progress, so without further ado, I introduce PeeWee!!! First pic is resting and the next two are fired up. Yes, the little S@#t can fire up! lol

Attachments

• SAM_0667.jpg
    SAM_0667.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 222
  • SAM_0670.jpg
    SAM_0670.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 222
  • SAM_0700.jpg
    SAM_0700.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 288
I am so amazed by this guy! He is such a little fighter, and SOOOO unlike anything that has ever come out of this bloodline. I'll get permission from the owners of some of his clutchmates and post them so others can see the difference. I can't wait to watch him and see how he develops. I am so interested to know if the meds could have caused an unusual coloration in him, and whether it will change. Carol, you have done a fabulous job with Pee Wee. I know it has been such hard work, and I wish I had some answers, but he couldn't have ended up with a better caretaker :)

Good job and good luck with him!! I had a little girl like that. My wife named her Kiwi and she lived to 16 months but she only got to 10 grams. Never found any problems with her, fecals and all.

Panther67, I do think this is the case here of a runt. I an sure the coccidia did not help matters. He has a great little spirit and as you can see is quite healthy looking and super active. Like I said he is a little mystery to me!

Carol - he's such a cute lil bugger, and I know he's in excellent hands. Sorry you've had such issues with him, but he's looking good, even if he's small!

He's adorable. I actually have a baby right now growing very slowly too. 3 months old but is about the size of a 1 month old.. his other clutch mates are probably triple his size. I see him eat hydeis, bean beetles, Phoenix worms, 3/8 crickets.. he just hasn't grown like the others.. had kinda been worrying me lately

I agree, Carol. He's probably just a natural little penut. If Shauna didn't have any problems with the rest of the clutch, it seems likely he contracted the coccidian from the flies you were finding. Sounds like he was having problems long before you resorted to combing your lawn to find something he would eat lol, so maybe nothing else is wrong and he's just mini.

Anyway, I hope he stays small but pulls a late bloomer act and just explodes with color. How cool would that be, a miniature panther with the deafening, vibrant colors of a mature stud! Either way, kudos for sticking It out with him. Good luck!

I know he is adorable isn't he? If he grows up to be a big boy(which I don't intend happening) I will be changing his name! For now he remains PeeWee!:D

I agree, Carol. He's probably just a natural little penut. If Shauna didn't have any problems with the rest of the clutch, it seems likely he contracted the coccidian from the flies you were finding. Sounds like he was having problems long before you resorted to combing your lawn to find something he would eat lol, so maybe nothing else is wrong and he's just mini.

Anyway, I hope he stays small but pulls a late bloomer act and just explodes with color. How cool would that be, a miniature panther with the deafening, vibrant colors of a mature stud! Either way, kudos for sticking It out with him. Good luck!

That would be awesome now, wouldn't it!! Thanks!!

Carol, I know how much time and work the little runts can be. But being the friend I am, I will take him.:D I love runts and it has been a while since I have had one. I know you want to get rid of that much work.:rolleyes:

You are just not buying any of this are you.:confused: I knew you wouldn't give him up. But he looks so sweet, I would love him, just like you do. Thanks for giving him lots of love.

Carol, I know how much time and work the little runts can be. But being the friend I am, I will take him.:D I love runts and it has been a while since I have had one. I know you want to get rid of that much work.:rolleyes:

You are just not buying any of this are you.:confused: I knew you wouldn't give him up. But he looks so sweet, I would love him, just like you do. Thanks for giving him lots of love.

haha Laurie! Yes, that is what I plan on doing... Just loving him like he was a normal size! He is a very worrisome little one to take care of that is for sure. I have spent so many hours watching over him making sure he is eating, trying to get him to drink, etc. and then the Coccidia! I am hoping we have turned the corner with that. Stay tuned!!!:)

Wow! 7 months and his size would make one think he was much younger. But, he appears to be showing nice colors.

Back
Top Bottom