Interesting blog about Free ranging

Ive passed by houses w cats in the window, never an iguana! 🤣🥰😍 This is cute!

who knows what they where doing at the end 😌

look at that love couple

39C99D76-9586-4DBC-9362-2849C61922F2.jpeg

Last edited:
I think free ranging is great. I used to have a free range inside my greenhouse. However now I mostly only free range my chameleons outside on garden trees supervised on good weather days to receive/bask on natural UV rays. I think my chameleons respond positively to free ranging on multiple levels.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Last edited:
I think free ranging is great. I used to have a free range inside my greenhouse. However now I mostly only free range my chameleons outside on garden trees supervised on good weather days to receive/bask on natural UV rays. I think my chameleons respond positively to free ranging on multiple levels.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich
We got a large olive tree in our garden, that will be her weekend spending time for this summer (y)

We got a large olive tree in our garden, that will be her weekend spending time for this summer (y)
Just to elaborate more on my previous comment. I think for my chameleons an outside free range experience prosper from natural UV, exercise on an entire tree for extended periods, watering outside with a hose or sprinkler(they seem more relaxed drinking outside), physiologically about being uncaged for extended experiences outside of an enclosure, feeding outside allowing hunting and have more natural feeding behaviors, and supervised experiences with other chameleons nurturing more natural behaviors. I normally find a big tree, pull up a big chair, grab a drink, grab a garden hose with a raindrop type spray head, and supervise two or three chameleons for 1-4 hours depending on what is going on for that day. Then I rotate tree's to give my chameleons some variety. That normally make for a good day at home with the chameleons. If the chameleons want anymore outside time unsupervised they go in my outdoor enclosures.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Just to elaborate more on my previous comment. I think for my chameleons an outside free range experience prosper from natural UV, exercise on an entire tree for extended periods, watering outside with a hose or sprinkler(they seem more relaxed drinking outside), physiologically about being uncaged for extended experiences outside of an enclosure, feeding outside allowing hunting and have more natural feeding behaviors, and supervised experiences with other chameleons nurturing more natural behaviors. I normally find a big tree, pull up a big chair, grab a drink, grab a garden hose with a raindrop type spray head, and supervise two or three chameleons for 1-4 hours depending on what is going on for that day. Then I rotate tree's to give my chameleons some variety. That normally make for a good day at home with the chameleons. If the chameleons want anymore outside time unsupervised they go in my outdoor enclosures.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich
Wow, these are my intention as well. Only need to wait a few for weather get warm enough. Unfortunately outdoor enclosures is no option, too many cats and squirls on the loose. And the weather ain´t good enough for unsupervised outdoor pleasure.
Thanks for your contribution (y)

I have alway free ranged all of my chameleons. They are much happier. I believe that all animals hate being caged. It’s not natural but I do understand that it’s not safe for some people to free range.
do you reccomend trying a free range for your first cham

do you reccomend trying a free range for your first cham
It depends on many factors. What species? What kind of free-range (room or partial room)? Are you able to provide all of your cham’s needs while free-ranging?

I would not recommend it for most new keepers, as it can be difficult to set up, and dangerous if not done correctly. If you have any indoor dogs or cats, almost definitely not recommended. Humidity is difficult to maintain, feeding must be done by hand, and either escapes must be prevented or the room must be chameleon-proofed.

It is by far the easier option to keep a cham in an enclosure, especially for newbies in the hobby. However, if you think you can manage it, free-ranging is very rewarding.

Back
Top Bottom