inter species panther cham breeding

bechsgaard

Hi, i was wondering if you can breed a male nosy faly, with a female nosy mitsio, what are the risks? can you breed the result or are they just nice colorations? do they have different needs?

Hi, i was wondering if you can breed a male nosy faly, with a female nosy mitsio, what are the risks? can you breed the result or are they just nice colorations? do they have different needs?

You can breed them as they are the same species. The colorations will probably be awesome. the disadvantages are that you'll have a hard time finding homes to crosses. Most people like to keep the locales pure.

They are the same species. Just from a different place.. Like in humans, asians, whites, african americans, hispanics.. same thing, just from a different place.

They are all the same species, just different patterns and colors. The locales are like breeds of dogs. They look different but are technically all the same and can breed without any worry of sterile hybrids because they are not technically hybrids. Remember that you get combos of both good and bad so some will have great color combos and some will be very drab. And females still just look like females and can muddy up the gene pool if people don't realize they're crosses.

i know but in some species when you do it they are infertile

You're right, but this isn't breeding different species. There is a difference between species and locale. Nosy faly, nosy mitsio, ambilobe, ambanja, etc. are just different locales of the same species.

I really think it goes both ways. All the locales look great pure, however mixing them together also produces awesome unique individuals with insane colors. I think it's important to be honest with females locale and purity.

I know what you're getting at, I too have read mentions about infertile clutches from crossbreeds, but nothing ever mentioned specifics.
I'm pretty sure you won't find any valid info from that particular pairing, as not enough people (in north america at least) have been working with either of those locales long enough to have enough extras to spare to e experimental with. The pure offspring are too valuable, for financial as well as local continuation reasons.
I too have contemplated the same cross, after finding it difficult to find mates that weren't related to my males somehow. So I imagine you're in the same boat as me, that got you wondering.
I would rather see your mitsio female go to somebody who might be able to continue a pure mitsio line, since they are so scarce. As there are a couple other faly bloodlines floating around in canada where you could access a suitable female for your faly.
I was considering the crossing only as an option after I had mated a pure line, since if I had to resort to line breeding in order to breed my mitsio I figured i would probably only do it once, hoping that by that time, there'd be some new blood available. If not, then maybe some experimenting.

you can breed any colour local furcifer pardalis (panther) to any other furcifer pardalis(panther) without issue.
My "cross" panthers are as fertile as my "pure" ones. I have third generation crosses. Entirely healthy.

You would see less success trying to breed different species such as furcifer pardalis (panther) to Chamaeleo calyptratus (veiled)

Back
Top Bottom