Information will be appreciated.

Jakedn

Hello, I am hoping, and planning to get a male veiled chameleon around November. I would prefer to get possibly a baby chameleon as I would love to watch him grow up. However, this will be my first chameleon and I do not know how expensive or difficult it may be to keep transferring a baby chameleon into different cages as it grows. It would also be extremely convenient if maybe I could get a full size cage and possibly rig it so that it would be acceptable for the baby chameleon and slowly increase the size occupied based upon the growth rate of said chameleon. If there is such a thing that can be done could you please refer me to the source of information or just tell me yourself. A cage that I hope to be able to get for a chameleon would be http://www.bigappleherp.com/Colossal-Corner-Lizard-Cage?sc=2&category=4 if there is anything wrong with the design of the cage or anything like that I would greatly appreciate any input on it. Also, any advice you could give me I would appreciate as well.

Thanks,
Jake

Hello, I am hoping, and planning to get a male veiled chameleon around November. I would prefer to get possibly a baby chameleon as I would love to watch him grow up. However, this will be my first chameleon and I do not know how expensive or difficult it may be to keep transferring a baby chameleon into different cages as it grows. It would also be extremely convenient if maybe I could get a full size cage and possibly rig it so that it would be acceptable for the baby chameleon and slowly increase the size occupied based upon the growth rate of said chameleon. If there is such a thing that can be done could you please refer me to the source of information or just tell me yourself. A cage that I hope to be able to get for a chameleon would be http://www.bigappleherp.com/Colossal-Corner-Lizard-Cage?sc=2&category=4 if there is anything wrong with the design of the cage or anything like that I would greatly appreciate any input on it. Also, any advice you could give me I would appreciate as well.

Thanks,
Jake

It is not a big deal, really..
Assuming you want veiled or panther, essentially, you will only need 2 cages.
18 18 36 for 3 months old to a year old (or 8 months old, depending on how fast your chameleon grow).
and the other one is:
24 24 48 permanent cage when he reach adulthood.

Then, you can use that 18 18 36 as sunning cage outdoor (since you live in SoCal, you'll have plenty of chance to put your cham outside for sunning).

18 18 36 cage is roughly 60 dollars
24 24 48 cage is roughly 80 dollars
-----------------------------------------+
total 140 dollars

Much much cheaper than that 350 dollars worth of a cage.
save that 110 dollars difference and get a misting system instead.

although the size is quite nice for an adult cham, but it would be way too colossal of a cage for a baby chameleon.
Also, looking at the pic, the top is solid. problem lies in the location of uvb lights and the heatlamp.
Putting the lights inside is a huge NO no since you can run a risk of burning the chameleon.
Putting the lights on the side is not a good practice since it is unnatural.

Last edited:
If I were to get that colossal cage would it be possible in any way to get the lights set up on the top of the cage or would it just not work out at all. Also, how hard are misting systems to set up and are they worth it.

If I were to get that colossal cage would it be possible in any way to get the lights set up on the top of the cage or would it just not work out at all. Also, how hard are misting systems to set up and are they worth it.

you can figure out a way to take off the top and change it with screen top.
But, that cage looked sturdy and you might have a difficulty doing so.
Misting system is a piece of cake to install.
and, imo, if you gonna spend 350 dollars worth of money, spend it on misting system. It's so much worth it than spending it on that cage (honestly).

Essentially, the system is not imperative, since you can manually mist your chameleon cage at least twice a day (more is preferred).
BUT, with a misting system and an automated digital timer, you can have it done automatically; so, you don't have to worry that your chameleon is not getting enough water. And, it will free up a bit of your schedule from having to rush back home (from work/ school) to mist your cham.

Misting system becomes very handy when you have multiple chameleons.
I think 1 misting pump generally can mist 6 cages.

What I was planning on doing was taking the time to manually mist as I generally am home as I am home schooled and the misting systems sounded complicated from what I have read but it would be great if I did get one working. With the misting system set up would it also be a good idea to include a constant drip system along with it or is the misting system all that is needed? I was hoping to get a larger than average cage for my chameleon to provide adequate cover to hide if he is uncomfortable by any noise or anything along with a sturdy cage in case any of my 3 dogs got curious about him and snuck into my room. Do you have any recommendations of other cages for a male veiled chameleon? Also, if I did go along with my plan and stuck with getting a baby male veiled chameleon if I installed the misting system and everything onto that cage would I be able to take it out and put it into his new home or would it be there permanently? Thank you for all of the replies :).

With the misting system set up would it also be a good idea to include a constant drip system along with it or is the misting system all that is needed? I was hoping to get a larger than average cage for my chameleon to provide adequate cover to hide if he is uncomfortable by any noise or anything along with a sturdy cage in case any of my 3 dogs got curious about him and snuck into my room. Do you have any recommendations of other cages for a male veiled chameleon? Also, if I did go along with my plan and stuck with getting a baby male veiled chameleon if I installed the misting system and everything onto that cage would I be able to take it out and put it into his new home or would it be there permanently? Thank you for all of the replies :).

I am not good with tools, and anything that involves using tools more than a screw driver, would be beyond my capability to comprehend :eek:.
Misting system will only involved a scissor (to cut a hole about a half inch of your screen top to put the nozzle). Other than that, it just plugging a small hose (provided) from the bucket (also provided) to the pump. and Plugging the pump to power source. done! if you can install a playstation/ wii to your TV, you can install a misting system.

Inquire Marty at mistking.com (our sponsor) for more question on installation.
Trust me, it's very easy!

But, again, if you plan to be manually misting your cham's cage and if you indeed have time for it, then you do NOT need the system at all.

People do set dripper along side with their misting system.
But, to tell you the truth, I don't.
I set the system to mist 4 times a day 5 minutes per section though.
imo, that is a lot of water already.

For coverage, provide him with live trees with lots of foliage and sturdy climbing branches such as Ficus benjamina.
24 24 48 is enough for veiled and panther.
But, you can get bigger cage if you have extra space and money.

and, yes you can move your misting system and install it to your new cage.
The installation is not permanent.
my cage recommendation:
https://www.chameleonforums.com/screen-cages-vitamins-proper-23827/

www.cages.net do a custom size cage as well.
You can ask them to build whatever size you want.

I am a bit worried about the fact that your dogs might have access to your future chameleon.
If this happen often, you can stress the chameleon enough to lower his immune system making him more prone to sickness.
So, either put him in a room where your dogs cannot get in, or consider getting some other pet that won't be easily stressed.

Hope that helps

No need to be worried, they rarely go into my room as is and I will keep my door shut. Also, I will teach them that they are not allowed to go into my room as if a case ever occurs where I accidentally leave my door open. I just would also like to take the extra precaution and get a really sturdy cage if possible along with a lot of hiding spots in the cage so that he doesn't get stressed out however, I don't foresee any problems occurring. Thanks a ton for all of the help. The misting system sounds like a piece of cake to put in oddly it sounded much more complicated when I read about it elsewhere.

I found some starter kits for a baby chameleon. http://www.chameleonsonly.com/Screen-Enclosures.htm are any of these kits ideal for starting a baby male veiled chameleon? Are these screen cages well made? Are these starter kits well priced or is it a rip off? Which of these kits would you recommend for a baby male veiled chameleon to last him until he is fully grown and ready for a full sized cage? Would these be more suitable or should I stick to getting the one you recommended?

I am not good with tools, and anything that involves using tools more than a screw driver, would be beyond my capability to comprehend .
Misting system will only involved a scissor (to cut a hole about a half inch of your screen top to put the nozzle). Other than that, it just plugging a small hose (provided) from the bucket (also provided) to the pump. and Plugging the pump to power source. done! if you can install a playstation/ wii to your TV, you can install a misting system.

Inquire Marty at mistking.com (our sponsor) for more question on installation.
Trust me, it's very easy!

......and "Cut!". Lets wrap it up folks! :D

Man, you should approach *trademark* Mist King *, about doin a commercial. I have a feeling they'd Pay well! :)

I use drippers on all of my chameleon cages. My chameleons are very well hydrated.
I would suggest a first time chameleon be no less than 5 months old

I found some starter kits for a baby chameleon. http://www.chameleonsonly.com/Screen-Enclosures.htm are any of these kits ideal for starting a baby male veiled chameleon? Are these screen cages well made? Are these starter kits well priced or is it a rip off? Which of these kits would you recommend for a baby male veiled chameleon to last him until he is fully grown and ready for a full sized cage? Would these be more suitable or should I stick to getting the one you recommended?

I've been using the "small" cage setup from them for the last 5 weeks.
the cage is well made, has a nice cleaning door on the bottom, and is the perfect size for a baby.
I also liked the fact that I didn't have to go out and buy a ton of items that you know I would never find in one local store...to me, it saved me time and gas money to just buy this kit online.

some added pros and cons:

for a kit, you are not getting anything cheap or poorly made.
the items in the kit are price compettitive, and you'll find that the items will cost the same or more for each item if bought sepratly.

I like the fact that you get a nice lighthood that uses a 24" reptisun 5.0...not some cheaper 18" or 16" bulb.

I also like the fact that you get everything that you will need, and a few things that I'm sure you might forget. so in the end, you only need to buy one thing that the kit doesn't have...

the only real con in my book is that they should include rep-cal calcium dust w/o D3 to this kit. it's the only thing you will need to buy.
the calcium dust w/o D3 and vitamins/minerals should be used for each feeding, and the others you get in the kit about once or twice a month.

LLLReptile also has some great cages and all the supplys you need.
you can't go wrong any way you choose.

Harry

Back
Top Bottom