Information Needed and New Enclosure Build

Keenan

Enclosure Build​

Okay so about 8 months ago i decided to create my own vivarium to house a panther chameleon, those readily available on the market dont have the features i was looking for, despite some of them being easily to incoropate. but i like to have things clean and aesthetically pleasing so what i would like to build is a 4' x 2' x 4'

This is an earlier design of the enclosure on which some things need clarifying before i can update them on the design.
VIVARIUM MK2 v15.png

Clarification:

So currently there is 8 visible vents on the back of the enclosure these will be 90mm, I'm unsure whether this would be enough ventilation and to keep to cycle of air running through? i was going to add two additional vents at the roof of the enclosure with two PC fans in a push/pull configuration.

Due to the size of the enclosure would one basking spot be okay, or could i place a second?

UVB - Arcadia 12% or 6%

Grow Light - x1 Each Side 6500K LED Downlight

I live in the UK so humidity is not an issue here, but im still unsure whether to add a fogger into the project?

Chameleon Care:​

In the future i do plan on breeding panther chameleons, there is alot of ready information out there but some is incorrect. I already know about receptive colouration.
Can you help me provide the best information for care and making breeding successful.

Temperature - What should be the gradient, basking spot temperature?

Humidity - What should be the humidity through-out the day and night?

Misting - How many times a day are you misting and how long for?

Fogger - How many times a day are you using the fogger and how long for?

Feeding - What is your current feeding and how many insects are you feeding? for the following:

Male - Juvenile
Male - Adult

Female (Breeding) - Adult

I know this is a lot and probably is somewhat confusing and poorly laid out.

Start with this:

https://chameleonacademy.com/panther-chameleon-care/

The chameleon academy is a wealth of information and this link is just the tip of the iceberg. I strongly recommend you read through the entire website.
Panther-Care-Sheet-Hydration-light-cycle.png

So am i reading correctly
07:00am - 19:00PM Daylight/UVB
07:30am - 14:30PM - Basking
01:30am - 06:00am - Fogger
01:30am - 01:31/32am - Misting 1
06:00am - 06:01/02am - Misting 2
21:00pm - 21:01/02pm - Misting 3

Correct that is for starters... You will adjust based on your own environment and observations. For my schedule, I have taken that schedule and added two additional 2 minute misting sessions during the first hour of lights on. The overall goal is to offer water to simulate dew in the wild in the morning. Let the cage dry out during the day and then have cool nights with high humidity during the night.

Last edited:

Enclosure Build​

Okay so about 8 months ago i decided to create my own vivarium to house a panther chameleon, those readily available on the market dont have the features i was looking for, despite some of them being easily to incoropate. but i like to have things clean and aesthetically pleasing so what i would like to build is a 4' x 2' x 4'

This is an earlier design of the enclosure on which some things need clarifying before i can update them on the design.
View attachment 317889

Clarification:

So currently there is 8 visible vents on the back of the enclosure these will be 90mm, I'm unsure whether this would be enough ventilation and to keep to cycle of air running through? i was going to add two additional vents at the roof of the enclosure with two PC fans in a push/pull configuration.
If the top of the picture is the top of the enclosure, then the vents are in the wrong places. You want intakes at floor/substrate level, and exhaust out the top of the enclosure (not the top of a wall). Ideally, this will create a natural stack (chimney) effect that will make PC fans redundant.

Due to the size of the enclosure would one basking spot be okay, or could i place a second?
Up to you, but only one is necessary.

UVB - Arcadia 12% or 6%
6% should be sufficient. You'll need a 46"/48" to run full width of the enclosure.

Grow Light - x1 Each Side 6500K LED Downlight
I'm not familiar with those. I run two 70W LED plant lights in the same size enclosure, but the lights I run aren't available in the UK AFAIK.

If you're going to be running something similar, I'd suggest putting them together. Chameleons bask under the brightest light, so if that's the plant light—and there are 2 of them—the cham will become confused (personal experience).

https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/simple-uvb-fixture-supports.177896/#post-1692470

I live in the UK so humidity is not an issue here, but im still unsure whether to add a fogger into the project?
That will depend on the nighttime humidity (foggers aren't used during the day) that you're able to achieve without one, and what other measures you take. Live plants help increase and maintain humidity.

Most everything else can be found on the care sheet linked above, or in the Husbandry Program on the same site.

Back
Top Bottom