Info needed on shedding.

Triggerfreak

Well i got my chameleon a week from today and he is only about 3 inches from head to tail.Well he has been acting funny the last day or so when it comes to eating.Well today i noticed he has some skin hanging from his back and tail.So i assume he either shedded or is in the midst of shedding.I did not know they shedded this young.So any info on how to deal with this or how they act while shedding would be helpful.

several days before shedding, they will get dull and dry looking.
Some, (especially veileds) can get grumpy during shedding.
Babies can shed every month until they are about 6-8 months old, 6 months to 1 year old or so, they may shed their whole body every month, or just a body part.
Adults tend to shed a body part at a time (they can seem like they are in a constant state of shedding!)

They may reduce their eating, or stop while shedding.
They may rub on branches or scratch their sides to get the skin off.
Most babies start and finish shedding within a few hours, though it can take a whole day.
Up their mistings and keep the humidity higher while shedding, which will help get rid of excess skin.
if after a day or two there is still dead skin left, try a warm shower.
place a plant in the shower on the floor, aim the shower head towards the wall, and let the warm water bounce off the wall and the mist land on the plant, place chameleon on plant for 10-20 minutes (do not leave during this tiime, if they fall of the plant they could drown, or some get scared and try to run away)
NEVER try to remove stuck shed, unless it appears to be cutting circulation off to a body part, like toes or tail, and even then try rubbing lightly with a warm wet q tip to help remove the shed.

Back
Top Bottom