Infertile veiled eggs

Bobrob

My veiled lizzie just layed I want to know if any experienced egg handlers could tell if they looked infertile. She mated bout 19 days before she laid they just looked a little yellowish she had 49 eggs on the 11th. What y'all think. Post pic of eggs and new cage for cham. Kids enjoy it too.lol and both chams. This is her first clutch.

Attachments

• 20181113_153700.jpg
    20181113_153700.jpg
    259.8 KB · Views: 158
  • 20181109_233903.jpg
    20181109_233903.jpg
    255 KB · Views: 168
  • 15421462356264527044311100153814.jpg
    15421462356264527044311100153814.jpg
    226.1 KB · Views: 166
  • 15421462875855916395003810159263.jpg
    15421462875855916395003810159263.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 191
Some people say they can tell if eggs are fertile or not just by looking at them but I’m not sure I’m buying that. If you are looking to hatch them the general rule is you keep them until they mold over. Only infertile ones mold. Remove them as soone as you see the first signs of mold. After a few months, maybe 4-5, you can take a small LED pen light and put it on top of the egg shining down through it. If it is fertile you will see what looks like spiderwebs forming, those are veins! Only use LEDs to candle, standard bulbs can scorch the egg and never pick the eggs up to candle them like you see in all the videos. You will cause damage to the embryo and kill it.

Now it’s my turn to ask you a question. How are you going to house and feed 51 chameleons?

Some people say they can tell if eggs are fertile or not just by looking at them but I’m not sure I’m buying that. If you are looking to hatch them the general rule is you keep them until they mold over. Only infertile ones mold. Remove them as soone as you see the first signs of mold. After a few months, maybe 4-5, you can take a small LED pen light and put it on top of the egg shining down through it. If it is fertile you will see what looks like spiderwebs forming, those are veins! Only use LEDs to candle, standard bulbs can scorch the egg and never pick the eggs up to candle them like you see in all the videos. You will cause damage to the embryo and kill it.

Now it’s my turn to ask you a question. How are you going to house and feed 51 chameleons?
Probably when time comes flightless fruit flies and baby crickets. Farmed by me from culture too expensive to buy all the time.

Is that vermiculite? It looks too wet to me. You should be able to squeeze a fistful and a couple drops of water come out, but no more.

The eggs are in pearlite but wait 2 weeks and the bad eggs will mold good luck tho it’s a fun wait and experience be sure to hydrate and bounce that girl back laying eggs takes a toll on them

Probably when time comes flightless fruit flies and baby crickets. Farmed by me from culture too expensive to buy all the time.

You will not be able to culture enough fruit flies and crickets to feed that many babies. Or you will be spending a lot of time doing so.

That’s where I was heading with all this, I don’t think I’ve ever met a breeder who is properly prepared for the shear volume of feeders required to raise healthy chams on their first attempt. Especially with with veilds due to their large clutches.

I’m also going to encourage you to just go ahead and cull half the clutch right now. Veilds are so common they are very difficult to move, especially from an unknown breeder.

It’s not impossible to culture your own food for that many babies people always think it’s hard but it’s really not if he does it right he can do it like I said he’s got 9 months to prepare lol

It’s not impossible to culture your own food for that many babies people always think it’s hard but it’s really not if he does it right he can do it like I said he’s got 9 months to prepare lol

I’m not saying it’s impossible but let’s do the math. 40 babies x 20–30 food items a day = 800 - 1200 food items a day. So 800 - 1200 food items a day x 3 months (90 days) = 72,000 - 108,000 food items.

I mean it’s possible but it’s gunna take a lot of time along with all the care for the babies. Wouldn’t hurt to do it to save money but you will probably still have to buy some.

Yes it takes time but you can do it and yes saves you money but you have to remember also he could have 100% hatch rate but I doubt they’ll have 100% survival rate so that 40 is most likely gonna be 30 and you don’t wanna use it’s fruit flies you’ll need a variety fruit flies have no nutritional value to be honest lol if he does his research he could do it it’s not as hard as people think really

Yes it takes time but you can do it and yes saves you money but you have to remember also he could have 100% hatch rate but I doubt they’ll have 100% survival rate so that 40 is most likely gonna be 30 and you don’t wanna use it’s fruit flies you’ll need a variety fruit flies have no nutritional value to be honest lol if he does his research he could do it it’s not as hard as people think really
Care to share with the group how you accomplished it?

Sure you just make a few fly cultures you only need them about a week or two like I said they have no value to them so keep about 5 jars of those during that time make bean beetle cultures that’s the easiest thing to do even a 5 yr old can do it I’d make about 10 jars and there you go... you can use more feeders if you want mantis rice/flour beetles freshly hatched Dubai but prolly when the babies reached a month for Dubai’s red runners are so small when hatched they can be used instantly but mess that up and there goes your house lol...

Sounds to me like you are describing what you would do to make it work. Is that what your doing? I’m asking if you have successfully raised 40+ chams using the exact numbers you laid out in your last post.

Back
Top Bottom