Infected rear...please help

FrankTheTank

Established Member
Hello everyone! It's been so long since I've posted! I have a friend with a veiled chameleon with a protruding sore on her rear.

She has a mesh cage and heating lamp, fluorescent UVB and UVA. She doesn't know the hot and cool temps off hand, but says she has checked them several times and they were always in a safe range. No substrate in cage. Said the infection started about a month or so ago. Has taken her to the vet 3 times now, but she is not getting better.
They did anti fungal cream. Didn’t work. They tried anti bacterial drops. Didn’t work. She’s on oral anti fungal now.

Also, they are out of crickets where she lives and needs a supplier that can ship her some crickets quickly, as she is having to force feed her other critters that the chameleon doesn't like. Any help or insight would be much appreciated. Let me know if you need any more information. I've tried to get as much from her as I could think of. I've missed you guys!

153386473_4252489864764453_8778102495543353033_n.jpg
152453117_276756447219521_3201575187756968405_n.jpg
153121968_1587658658085230_2553334930426464545_n.jpg
152855294_116750913664138_1276966285972449117_n.jpg
153386473_4252489864764453_8778102495543353033_n.jpg
152453117_276756447219521_3201575187756968405_n.jpg
153121968_1587658658085230_2553334930426464545_n.jpg

Last edited:
Is there any chance that was a burn?
Crickets are short all over. She can order from Rainbow Mealworms but their shipping is a week out and Ghann's is having snow delays.

She needs to find a good chameleon vet ASAP.
Did the vet she's been going to do a test and a biopsy to determine what it was?
Does the owner have any photos of what it looked like when it first started?
added more pictures. Sorry for the duplicates. I don't think there are many good chameleon vets near her.

Can she still poop?
She looks like she has MBD too...but it might just be the angle of the photos.
She really does need a good chameleon vet ASAP.

This might help too...
https://www.adcham.com/html/husbandry/bug-juice.html
she is still having regular bowels, but is having to force feed her supplements since they are out of crickets, and she wont eat anything else. I think it was just the angle. I've seen other pictures of the cham, and the spine seems to be in good shape. (I had an iguana with MBD and his was JACKED up lol) but she is getting regular supplements just in case. I can text her with any questions or comments. I didn't want her to have to sort out the "good" advice from the "bad" if that makes sense so that's why I posted for her. She's new to chams and I know sometimes people post advice on here that isn't necessarily helpful. Not that any responses so far are unhelpful. I appreciate any and all advice. Was hoping maybe someone had an issue similar to this on a veiled and what their method of treatment was. I honestly have never seen a growth like this, but I haven't been very active in the community lately

I get my crickets locally (if there are any pet supply stores within reasonable distance).
Even the big boxes may be worth trying in a situation like this (just had to do that myself).

Superworms? Not as a staple, but to get something into her. Uncommon for reptiles to turn down supers.

I get my crickets locally (if there are any pet supply stores within reasonable distance).
Even the big boxes may be worth trying in a situation like this (just had to do that myself).

Superworms? Not as a staple, but to get something into her. Uncommon for reptiles to turn down supers.
She said they are all sold out near her. And she won't eat anything else. I didn't ask specifically about supers, but some of those are kind of big for a tiny veiled, right? None of my chams would eat supers lolll. They only ate dubia and crickets, and i think fruit flies? Sorry I'm rambling now. I will definitely pass on any other meal suggestions though.

She said they are all sold out near her. And she won't eat anything else. I didn't ask specifically about supers, but some of those are kind of big for a tiny veiled, right? None of my chams would eat supers lolll. They only ate dubia and crickets, and i think fruit flies? Sorry I'm rambling now. I will definitely pass on any other meal suggestions though.
I wish I could get mine to eat dubias! I got 50 supers in a small cup at one of the big box places. They were smaller than what I usually get online, and the little dude loves 'em. Probably worth checking out/trying whatever you can get locally at this point—just to get something into her. All the Pet—s (both chains) around here have plenty of small crix.

I'm not a vet. It looks to me like either a bad prolapse or a growth (tumor?) of some type.
Is anything being done to keep it moist?

I agree with kinyonga.
I see you're already checking out the vet lists...

Best Wishes.
she had some cream that she used, but she also mists 3-4 times a day. I gave her several other options, but most are 2-3 hours away, and thats really hard with her job, but said she will reach out to her vet to ask about a possible biopsy

You said..."the spine seems to be in good shape"... It's almost always the legs that you have to look at for MBD in chameleons....and that's what I'm looking at...especially in the photo where she is head down.

Can you get some photos of her from the side?
How old is she?

You said..."the spine seems to be in good shape"... It's almost always the legs that you have to look at for MBD in chameleons....and that's what I'm looking at...especially in the photo where she is head down.

How old is she?
ohhh yeah...I see what you are talking about now. I will try to get more photos, but the main concern is definitely the infection. She is on supplements that have calcium and other vitamins/minerals that would help with MBD if she does have it.

How old is she?
I noticed that as well, but I agree completely she needs an experienced chameleon vet ASAP if you need help finding one we can help.
ohhh yeah...I see what you are talking about now. I will try to get more photos, but the main concern is definitely the infection. She is on supplements that have calcium and other vitamins/minerals that would help with MBD if she does have it.
MBD is no joke, both are serious topics that she needs to get treatment for. A lot of chameleons pass from MBD unfortunately, the supplements may help depending on how far she’s in with the MBD but she needs to see a vet for both.

When a chameleon has MBD it's due to a imbalance in nutrients and often a lack of proper UVB so things need to be corrected to strengthen the bones and muscles and other systems in the chameleon and then she needs to be kept on a proper husbandry to keep it from happening again.

That's basically he same for most/all lizards.

I noticed that as well, but I agree completely she needs an experienced chameleon vet ASAP if you need help finding one we can help.

MBD is no joke, both are serious topics that she needs to get treatment for. A lot of chameleons pass from MBD unfortunately, the supplements may help depending on how far she’s in with the MBD but she needs to see a vet for both.
sorry...didn't mean to minimize the importance of MBD. It is very serious, and I lost my iguana to MBD (he had it when I got him) even though I did everything I could for him. So I agree that both need to be addressed. I gave her a list of experienced cham vets, but they are all 2-3 hours away. She works 72 hours a week, and it makes it really hard for her to travel that far, but said she will definitely consider if the antifungal drops don't help any

sorry...didn't mean to minimize the importance of MBD. It is very serious, and I lost my iguana to MBD (he had it when I got him) even though I did everything I could for him. So I agree that both need to be addressed. I gave her a list of experienced cham vets, but they are all 2-3 hours away. She works 72 hours a week, and it makes it really hard for her to travel that far, but said she will definitely consider if the antifungal drops don't help any
It’s definitely worth the drive, her life is nonnegotiable and it’s unfair to her. I understand the working part, do you think she can have someone else take her, a family member/friend? And you’re totally fine you’re helping her but getting her on the forums will also help us help her more, I’m sorry about your iguana as well 😕

Back
Top Bottom