Indian Walking Sticks

Yes, they need enough room, something to hang from, and they use the gravity to "fall" from the skin. Much like mantids.

I had some and the eggs were in the hundreds and they all hatched at once. There were so many that I couldn't house them all so I had to cram them into smaller things as they got bigger (I didn't want to feed off too many, but I probably should have.) At one point they were in enclosures too small for them and they started to get deformed or die because they didn't have enough room to hang from!

You should see what they look like when they loose a leg and start to grow it back as they molt! They start out as little mini legs.

I hope that I can establish somewhat of a colony. I think they're pretty neat and would make great feeders. I'm still waiting to see what Sandra recommends on the bok choy.

Thx for your input as well! :)

They will eat pretty much anything green and leafy, but they seem to grow and thrive better on brambles. I just bought some organic blackberry and raspberry plants. I like the berries too!

They will eat pretty much anything green and leafy, but they seem to grow and thrive better on brambles. I just bought some organic blackberry and raspberry plants. I like the berries too!

I'm having a helluva time finding those plants. Any suggestions? :confused:

Before I bought some I just snipped some leaves off of rose bushes around the area and used lettuce/greens when I ran out and didn't have the time to get some more at the moment.

I would just be concerned about if there was anything sprayed on your rose bush. Maybe try feeding some to crickets and see what happens?

Before I bought some I just snipped some leaves off of rose bushes around the area and used lettuce/greens when I ran out and didn't have the time to get some more at the moment.

I would just be concerned about if there was anything sprayed on your rose bush. Maybe try feeding some to crickets and see what happens?

I washed the one branch that I snipped pretty good. I've already pulled it and replaced with bok choy and red leaf lettuce. So far I haven't seen them eat privet, rose, bok choy or the lettuce. :mad:

When you say take it easy on the bok, what exactly do you mean? Feed once a week? Month?

well, its hard to say, since I dont know what other goitrogenic foods you are also offering (cassava, millet, kale, collards, peaches etc), or what counteractive Thyroid helping foods like avocado, coconut and kelp you might be offering.

but if you think "everything in moderation" and nothing too frequently, you'll be fine. :)

Blackberry and raspberry bramble is a good food source for stick insects.
Privot should be avoided if you are using these as cham prey.

well, its hard to say, since I dont know what other goitrogenic foods you are also offering (cassava, millet, kale, collards, peaches etc), or what counteractive Thyroid helping foods like avocado, coconut and kelp you might be offering.

but if you think "everything in moderation" and nothing too frequently, you'll be fine. :)

Blackberry and raspberry bramble is a good food source for stick insects.
Privot should be avoided if you are using these as cham prey.

That's great info! I use kale frequently, but on growing my colonies, not feeders. For feeders I mainly feed carrots, some kale, bugburger and oranges.

Sometimes they look like they wont touch it for days and then BAM! The whole thing is gone. Or at least mine were like that.

Sometimes they look like they wont touch it for days and then BAM! The whole thing is gone. Or at least mine were like that.

I hope that you're right! Still no signs of eating as of this a.m. I guess I'll be on the hunt for some stupid bramble this weekend... :eek:

Where are you getting these in Ca?? I've been trying to find them but soemone (different forums) said they could no longer sell them here (california).

Thanks

Rich

Well there are a couple of introduced populations in SoCal. There could be/probably are more in CA. I've been told there are vietnamese walking stick populations established along NorCal, Washington and Oregon as well. Try looking out inparks and other areas for wild native stick insects too.

Keep us updated on how your colony goes, I'm very interested in starting a stick bug colony myself. We have a 'native' population and if they are that easy to start Its a great way to keep variety.

Here are my baby cages. I put about 1/2" of organic soil in the bottom and sprinkled the eggs on top. I mist daily. I also do the same thing in 32 oz deli cups.

IMG_5157.jpg

IMG_5152.jpg

IMG_5154.jpg

Here are my baby cages. I put about 1/2" of organic soil in the bottom and sprinkled the eggs on top. I mist daily. I also do the same thing in 32 oz deli cups.

IMG_5157.jpg

IMG_5152.jpg

IMG_5154.jpg

Holy cow that's awesome! You have a million of them! How do you collect the eggs from that? And what's up with those cages? Nice! :)

What I have been doing in the past was putting paper towels in the bottom of the cage housing my adults. I then removed the eggs from the paper towel and transferred them to a deli cup with paper towels in the bottom. The problem I was having is keeping the humidity up in the cups. I tried putting organic soil in the cups instead and it has worked great.

Those cages are just housing babies. I have three of them set up for sticks and I have three more ready for some Green bird grasshoppers I should receive tomorrow. I also have an 18x18x36 for adults sticks that has a ton of babies in it now too.

What I have been doing in the past was putting paper towels in the bottom of the cage housing my adults. I then removed the eggs from the paper towel and transferred them to a deli cup with paper towels in the bottom. The problem I was having is keeping the humidity up in the cups. I tried putting organic soil in the cups instead and it has worked great.

Those cages are just housing babies. I have three of them set up for sticks and I have three more ready for some Green bird grasshoppers I should receive tomorrow. I also have an 18x18x36 for adults sticks that has a ton of babies in it now too.

Awesome work. How will you sift the eggs from these cages? Or will you just let them be?

Is it just me or does it seem most of the sticks are on the cage instead of the branches? Lol. Also, what are you feeding them and how fast do the go thru that pile of leaves?

I'll move the adults out to another cage before they start laying egg. Those cages are to small anyways. I feed them roses and they really don't seem to eat that much. I'm still learning with these guys.

I'll move the adults out to another cage before they start laying egg. Those cages are to small anyways. I feed them roses and they really don't seem to eat that much. I'm still learning with these guys.

Yeah, me too! It doesn't seem like they eat anything that I've offered. Privet, rose, bok choy or red leaf lettuce. I just put in a couple of blackberry leaves today. I also just read that they're nocturnal! That probably explains why I never see them moving around! :eek:

Back
Top Bottom