incubation

aramis32

hello,

I had some eggs laid last monday (a week ago) and would like to have them hatch. I have ordered some coarse vermiculite and Switfair Perlite standard grade but they will arrive at the end of this week/early next week.

The eggs were layed in the enclosure substrate (soil) and not the laying bin that i had placed inside. Shall i remove the eggs now? the enclosure substrate is moist as there is water raining in every day but maybe too moist? can i wait until friday to remove the eggs or it will be too late?

What about direction of the eggs when i remove them? how careful do i have to be?

thanks

If you remove the eggs, what are you going to do with them until the vermiculite etc comes?
They should not be in the light to incubate....they need darkness.
You have to be careful if you remove them that you don't turn them because by now the embryo will have set itself in the proper position in the egg and turning it can kill it.

Don't you have a garden centre near you where you could get some coarse grained vermiculite?
Where are you going to put the containers to incubate the eggs when you do get them set up?

Don't you have a garden centre near you where you could get some coarse grained vermiculite?
Where are you going to put the containers to incubate the eggs when you do get them set up?
yes sadly i tried but they didn't have any... i have some play sand i can place them in..? would that work or should i leave them in the soil (moist) until next week?

for the incubation, I am considering leaving them in my flat at 21 C. or in the terrarium maybe as there is regular water dripping in the soil so can redirect some to fall in the vermiculate.

alternatively i can place them in an incubator we use at the hospital (there are two that are not really used so could sneak a box inside). these are at 37%, 80% and 5% co2...

You said..."yes sadly i tried but they didn't have any... i have some play sand i can place them in..? would that work or should i leave them in the soil (moist) until next week?"...I have never found either soil or sand to work for incubating them in activity because it's very hard to keep the moisture levels right. Too moist and they explode and too dry and they wither up.

You said..."for the incubation, I am considering leaving them in my flat at 21 C. or in the terrarium maybe as there is regular water dripping in the soil so can redirect some to fall in the vermiculate"...I'm positive this will not work. You have to set the up properly or it's never going to work.

You said..."alternatively i can place them in an incubator we use at the hospital (there are two that are not really used so could sneak a box inside). these are at 37%, 80% and 5% co2"...that would not be sanitary IMHO. What do you mean co2?

Do you not have a pet store near you where you could buy hatch rite or pearlite?

If you dig them up and don't set them up to incubate they will die. If you don't dig them up I don't know how well they will do in the laybin substrate. Is the lay bin getting sprayed with water?

Do you not have a pet store near you where you could buy hatch rite or pearlite?

If you dig them up and don't set them up to incubate they will die. If you don't dig them up I don't know how well they will do in the laybin substrate. Is the lay bin getting sprayed with water?
she didn't lay them in the lay bin but in the soil instead. it is bioactive and moist as it rains (artificial) for 5 minutes during the day.

i could try a pet shop tomorrow for perlite, there are a few around

she didn't lay them in the lay bin but in the soil instead. it is bioactive and moist as it rains (artificial) for 5 minutes during the day.

i could try a pet shop tomorrow for perlite, there are a few around
where should i incubate them in the house? in the bedroom in a draw? should i moisturise sometimes the substrate?

In the dark where the temperature will keep them at about 74F.
If the substrate dries out or the eggs start to dent, pour a tiny bit of water around the edges of the container ...NOT on the eggs

Hello, does anyone know the hatching percentage of incubated eggs?

i have 22 eggs and plan to keep them all. But need to think ahead on renting a new flat to fit them all!

thanks

Thanks.

they are in vermiculite in a platic box. It was soaked in hot water and drained once to leave it wet The plastic box is placed on a heatmat (giving an inch airgap between the mat and the plastic box) inside a polystyrene box with a lid.
The heatmat is set to 74F. There is condensation visible in the plastic box.
Is this right?

There are lots of things that affect the hatch rate and the survival rate of the hatchlings in the first few months after hatching. It's hard to give a percentage. Sorry.

Any pictures for the pair? :)
Yes!
It has now been two weeks short of 6 months. Eggs look a lot bigger but some are rotten and there are tiny insects inside. Are these fertile???

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    259.8 KB · Views: 73
Until others respond-- They look good but make sure you don't add any more water since they might still have some time before fully mature. 6 months is early and 8 months is more like it (plus or minus depending on chams and environment).

Make sure you remove the rotten eggs and all the bugs. If not possible make up new substrate exactly the same temp and relocate if you keep the eggs in the exact same position.

it would be better if you didn't have to change.

get pen light if your not sure if alive and do in dark place.

pic 1 is egg at about 7 months
pic 2 is at and 8 months

Hope this helps until others chime in..

Attachments

• PXL_20210620_152614025.jpg
    PXL_20210620_152614025.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 64
  • PXL_20210620_152517886.jpg
    PXL_20210620_152517886.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 70
What do the bugs look like?

Have you looked under the "good" eggs without turning the eggs over to see if the insects are under the eggs or eating into the eggs?

Back
Top Bottom