incubating time dillema

zarko

All info that I have read sad that 25C is beter for incubating cause youngs (C, calyptratus) r stornger ,healthier and better. But this info on E zine chameleons is confusing me.
I wont ,wish and hoppe my chamelons r gonna come out after 180 day on 25 C.
Is that realistic or ill have to eate til 250 so days????
What r yor expirience with C calyptratus?
Thanks

The text
http://www.chameleonnews.com/?page=article&id=119

The amount of time required for egg development varied greatly between the three groups. Eggs hatched between 10/11/06 and 3/21/07, anywhere from 170 to 271 days after being laid, with the warmer temperature producing the shortest incubation time and the coolest temperature, the longest. At 29°C eggs required an average of 185 days to hatch. At 26.5°C they averaged 219 days and 252 days at 24.5°C. A simple analysis of variance (ANOVA) test confirmed that incubation time was significantly different between the three groups (F=26.6, P<.05). A Tukey's Test verified that length of incubation was significantly different for all three groups.
Increased incubation period may have some negative consequences in a natural environment. Veiled Chameleons bury each clutch of eggs under damp sand or soil at a single location (Schmidt 1994). The longer eggs remain in the nest the longer they would be subject to disturbance, predation, changes in weather, and microorganisms such as fungus. Disruption of the eggs is likely to result in mortality. Once the eggs harden after being laid, turning them will cause the embryos to become disconnected from the inner shell surface and die, a fate comparable to placental abruption in mammals (Deeming 2004). Lengthening the incubation period allows more time for outside factors to interfere with the nest causing survival rates to decrease.
It was noted that the chameleons that hatched in from eggs in the 29°C incubation were much more active, immediately post hatching, than hatchlings from either the 26.5°C or 24.5°C temperatures. In addition, the individuals from the higher temperature had a greater appetite immediately after hatching than those of the other two groups. Hatchlings from the warmest temperature began consuming crickets within hours of hatching, whereas the others started to eat after 12-24 hours. This may indicate that higher incubation temperature results increased metabolism at the time of hatching. However, this was not tested by any objective means.

I have hatched most of my veiled eggs at about 78F and I have close to 100% hatch rate and at the age of three months, about a 95% survival rate. It takes them about 240 days to hatch.

Hi there... i wish i knew more about eggs and time a few years ago when i had a veiled as she became egg bound. the vets opened her up and got the eggs out. she unfortunately died a week later and i had no idea about the eggs. i tried to find info on the net, but had no joy. i kept the eggs for about a month, but they went smelly so thought they were dead.... maybe they were still alive i don't know???
After over 2 years i have now bought a new panther and hope she will do well.... i'm not sure about the breding side of things after what happended with Fiona.

I incubate my veileds at a temperature of about 75 degrees. It gets cooler at night, but never over 78 during the day. I use a very high tech and complicated method - put them in a sealed plastic container with semi-moist vermiculite and sit them on top of a dresser or closet with a relativly constant temperature.

In all but one clutch (which I'll go over in a second), it took 8 months almost exactly to hatch. Babies were very large. In fact, the last clutch babies were eating 1/4 inch crickets their first week - they were oddly huge!

In the clutch that hateched early, I had made a mistake. I had a previous clutch hatch out normally in a closet, so I used the same closet again - but it incubated during a different part of the year. The summer in Raleigh. I didn't noticed hot hot it was gettign, as it had cooled down by time I got home (ALWAYS use a thermometer with a high/low reading!) the hatched out before 6 months with deformed eyes. They hadn't finished zipping shut. Seems chameleon eyes open up during development, and then "zip" shut along the eyelids. These poor guys had the zipper open in the front half of their eyes. Couldnt' eat. They lived for over 2 weeks without eating.

Back
Top Bottom