Improving Drainage From Tray

jcarlsen

Chameleon Enthusiast
Having cleaned out Jasper's cage after his passing, one of the things I've been wanting to work on creating a better drainage system that's more flush with the floor of this dragonstrand tray. I currently just have a regular mistking bulkhead screwed in as you can see, but the issue is it still allows about a quarter inch of water to sit in the tray. I saw on Bill Strand's blog that another way of doing this is the gravity drain from the side: https://dragonstrand.com/a-simple-gravity-drain-for-dragon-strand-drainage-trays/

Has anyone tried this with success or do folks have any other ideas? I seem to remember a post a while back where someone used a brass fitting from home depot which seemed like it could re-use the hole i've drilled out here.

Attachments

• IMG_6408.jpeg
    IMG_6408.jpeg
    271 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_6409.jpeg
    IMG_6409.jpeg
    229 KB · Views: 186
  • IMG_6410.jpeg
    IMG_6410.jpeg
    152.5 KB · Views: 188
Its pvc tray. Make a hole, get a Piece of PVC pipe, a 90 degree fitting if you want. Glue PVC Pipe to Tray, with PVC adhesive, Silicon around outside to be extra sure, GG completely flush drainage hole.

It would be more secure, if you drilled a Larger hole, one the size of the pipe, and used a threaded PVC angle, with outside threads, tap it in, mark it, cut it, add glue and screw it back in. Or even using a non threaded version would work too, same idea, just glue it.

Its pvc tray. Make a hole, get a Piece of PVC pipe, a 90 degree fitting if you want. Glue PVC Pipe to Tray, with PVC adhesive, Silicon around outside to be extra sure, GG completely flush drainage hole.

It would be more secure, if you drilled a Larger hole, one the size of the pipe, and used a threaded PVC angle, with outside threads, tap it in, mark it, cut it, add glue and screw it back in. Or even using a non threaded version would work too, same idea, just glue it.

What does GG stand for?

Good Game, Like "I win, Good Game", in this context "Good Game, beat the drainage tray"
I thought that was what you might've meant, but I'm pretty inexperienced with handy projects and assumed it was some kind of piping abbreviation lmao.

Back to the tray, I removed the bulkhead and checked what I used to drill the hole with. I've got a 9/16" hole in the bottom and I think it's threaded since the bulkhead made that impression upon installation? Is there a piece or two that could fit that hole and I could have some tubing with a ball valve going from?

Could I also drill the hole to a 1/2" diameter and use something like this, which I would imagine wouldn't require any glue? https://amzn.to/39iMP5h

Attachments

• IMG_6413.jpg
    IMG_6413.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 160
Last edited:
Ah, also I found the original thread I was looking for in case anyone's interested: https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/cage-drainage-system.61692/

Since I've already got a hole in the bottom, I think this is the approach I'll be taking...

That option may work, as well as that nickel bulkhead. I thought about using Bulkheads like that, as I have a few for my other hobby (PC water-cooling). When I was going to do the same.

I don't like the brass compression, for the fact that it's not very well secured, and may or may not drip water. Up to you though.

Hey @jcarlsen, happy Friday!

I, too was having the same issue. I drilled a hole in the side of the DS drainage tray, but it was still leaving like a 1/4” of water.

I took that out and redid it from the center. I filed down a pvc hose fitting to the thickness of the drainage try pieces. Drilled a new hole and glued it in place. I then attached it to the drains from the other enclosures.

Sealed up the previous hole with marine epoxy putty. It’s quick setting and easy to work with. If you want to use the same hole with this method then just buy the correct size fitting instead.

Hope this helps. I’ll attach some photos for you. Note that the two hose fittings are different. I filed down the one I wanted to use before taking a picture. Just wanted to give you an idea of what it looked like beforehand.

Attachments

• A67F1AB5-8D18-4455-A398-15095F446DFB.jpeg
    A67F1AB5-8D18-4455-A398-15095F446DFB.jpeg
    95.4 KB · Views: 156
  • DE3CB59C-AEDD-41FD-979E-361188225DF7.jpeg
    DE3CB59C-AEDD-41FD-979E-361188225DF7.jpeg
    149.5 KB · Views: 160
  • EF49A833-3EF7-4369-9C97-CC9A2FB968A5.jpeg
    EF49A833-3EF7-4369-9C97-CC9A2FB968A5.jpeg
    92.1 KB · Views: 167
  • 3B050922-A0C1-4F93-82DF-323B6C0870DC.jpeg
    3B050922-A0C1-4F93-82DF-323B6C0870DC.jpeg
    113.9 KB · Views: 175
  • 126CDED1-3B31-41AF-9992-2E9D10C9E1C5.jpeg
    126CDED1-3B31-41AF-9992-2E9D10C9E1C5.jpeg
    104.4 KB · Views: 183
  • 813A44DD-9702-4B31-8BCC-D1183FADA549.jpeg
    813A44DD-9702-4B31-8BCC-D1183FADA549.jpeg
    77.3 KB · Views: 164
  • AA2BDAF6-A200-4F4F-9D89-A68A9D0E96EC.jpeg
    AA2BDAF6-A200-4F4F-9D89-A68A9D0E96EC.jpeg
    91.1 KB · Views: 169
  • 50D6E977-6BE7-4A58-9B57-06A8AD34CE83.jpeg
    50D6E977-6BE7-4A58-9B57-06A8AD34CE83.jpeg
    71.2 KB · Views: 156
Hey @jcarlsen, happy Friday!

I, too was having the same issue. I drilled a hole in the side of the DS drainage tray, but it was still leaving like a 1/4” of water.

I took that out and redid it from the center. I filed down a pvc hose fitting to the thickness of the drainage try pieces. Drilled a new hole and glued it in place. I then attached it to the drains from the other enclosures.

Sealed up the previous hole with marine epoxy putty. It’s quick setting and easy to work with. If you want to use the same hole with this method then just buy the correct size fitting instead.

Hope this helps. I’ll attach some photos for you. Note that the two hose fittings are different. I filed down the one I wanted to use before taking a picture. Just wanted to give you an idea of what it looked like beforehand.

That is awesome! Yeah I’d like to reuse the same 9/16” hole I drilled because my tray sits on top of a solid table so had to make the drain off to the side. Works out nicely because the waste bucket can slide out easily. I ordered this piece: https://www.restaurantsupply.com/kr...MI_a6muqTS5wIVA6SzCh1MpwBcEAQYASABEgJxGPD_BwE

which I think will fit fairly flush with the bottom, but not as well as yours so I might wind up getting the same fitting you did.

Did you get that at Home Depot or somewhere? Could I attach flexible tubing instead of hard pvc on the bottom somehow?

@jcarlsen They make all kinds of useful adapters that you can find at home depot with all the irrigation supplies. It's almost like adult LEGOS if you ever did that as a kid.

That drain will work! Luckily the threaded part of the bottom is 1/2" inch. Most adapters like the one I used come in 1/2" or 3/4" and then they make reducers (to go from a bigger size to a smaller one). It's just a matter of tinkering with these things in the store and figuring out how it will work best for you.

If the table is limiting you get a wire storage rack. You can put drains and fittings between the wire. If you're using what you have to save money you can use bricks or blocks of wood under the drainage tray to raise the cage up for that drain to fit between the bottom of the tray and the table. Just make sure it's level and balanced. Whether you plan to drain off the side of the table or raise the setup, I'll explain what I would do if I were you.

If it were me, I'd use the drain you're getting. Attach a 1/2' threaded pvc coupling to the bottom of the drain.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/DURA-1-2-in-Schedule-40-PVC-Threaded-Coupling-C430-005W/100344953

You can then go one of two directions from here:

(1) Get a 1/2" adapter (like I used) with a hose barb connection (the ribbed end) .
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbil...7zi0mSQlw-Pu6DMNgjBoC2oAQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds>

Attach that to the threaded coupling. Then you'd use some clear 1/2" tubing attached to the ribbed end to lead the water to your drainage container.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/UDP-1-2...-10-ft-Clear-Vinyl-Tubing-T10006010/304185142

(2) Get flex riser tubing which is similar to flex tubing.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/1-2-in-x-18-in-Flex-Riser-37321/100126627

Connect this to the coupling that's attached to the drain. This product has a few lengths so just pick what will work for you. You can add a couple together using the couplings I mentioned before.

OH and make sure to use some teflon tape on all the threaded pieces to ensure there won't be leaks!

If you have any questions or want to pick my brain some more let me know.

Last edited:
@jcarlsen They make all kinds of useful adapters that you can find at home depot with all the irrigation supplies. It's almost like adult LEGOS if you ever did that as a kid.

That drain will work! Luckily the threaded part of the bottom is 1/2" inch. Most adapters like the one I used come in 1/2" or 3/4" and then they make reducers (to go from a bigger size to a smaller one). It's just a matter of tinkering with these things in the store and figuring out how it will work best for you.

If the table is limiting you get a wire storage rack. You can put drains and fittings between the wire. If you're using what you have to save money you can use bricks or blocks of wood under the drainage tray to raise the cage up for that drain to fit between the bottom of the tray and the table. Just make sure it's level and balanced. Whether you plan to drain off the side of the table or raise the setup, I'll explain what I would do if I were you.

If it were me, I'd use the drain you're getting. Attach a 1/2' threaded pvc coupling to the bottom of the drain.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/DURA-1-2-in-Schedule-40-PVC-Threaded-Coupling-C430-005W/100344953

You can then go one of two directions from here:

(1) Get a 1/2" adapter (like I used) with a hose barb connection (the ribbed end) .
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbil...7zi0mSQlw-Pu6DMNgjBoC2oAQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds>

Attach that to the threaded coupling. Then you'd use some clear 1/2" tubing attached to the ribbed end to lead the water to your drainage container.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/UDP-1-2...-10-ft-Clear-Vinyl-Tubing-T10006010/304185142

(2) Get flex riser tubing which is similar to flex tubing.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/1-2-in-x-18-in-Flex-Riser-37321/100126627

Connect this to the coupling that's attached to the drain. This product has a few lengths so just pick what will work for you. You can add a couple together using the couplings I mentioned before.

OH and make sure to use some teflon tape on all the threaded pieces to ensure there won't be leaks!

If you have any questions or want to pick my brain some more let me know.

Thank you so much for all that detail! Once I get that drain thingy I’ll go to Home Depot and get the rest and report back on it. Between this and adjusting to the more naturalistic hydration cycle that calls for less heavy misting, the stagnant water issue should become a thing of the past!

Looks like the reviews on the (2) Flex Riser tubing say it leaks, so I might go the clear tube route.

Last edited:
@Dbash44 so I just received the drain piece and it’s not nearly as flush on the underside that would rest against the floor as the images made it seem.

So the black piece is what you glued into your base, right? And you filed it down so there was just enough to be flush with the floor?

Thank you so much for all that detail! Once I get that drain thingy I’ll go to Home Depot and get the rest and report back on it. Between this and adjusting to the more naturalistic hydration cycle that calls for less heavy misting, the stagnant water issue should become a thing of the past!

Looks like the reviews on the (2) Flex Riser tubing say it leaks, so I might go the clear tube route.

I'm hoping someone like Bill at Dragon Strand will come up with the perfect solution one day. I feel like he's the guy to do it. I imagine something like an air hockey table being used as a bottom. Instead of blowing air up, it would suck air down and eat up all the water. One can only dream, though.

Also, just a bit of my two cents. I always like to try things out before I 100% trust reviews. Not to be mean, but I do realize there are some people out there that don't use a product correctly and they bash on it not knowing they did something wrong. If you like the flex riser more, try it out and put some towels underneath the tubing to see if it leaks. Like I said, just make sure to use teflon tape on the threading. The nice part about all the stuff I sent you is that it's interchangeable with whatever drain you use as long as you use a 1/2" drain. You can even use both together, though, idk why you would

@Dbash44 so I just received the drain piece and it’s not nearly as flush on the underside that would rest against the floor as the images made it seem.

So the black piece is what you glued into your base, right? And you filed it down so there was just enough to be flush with the floor?

Not sure how heavy the pieces are, but you could always just use the bottom piece and glue it to the underside of the floor. Glue some screen in between the floor and the drain piece to keep out crickets.

Otherwise, yes you are correct. I filed it down and glued it to the bottom. If you go this route, just make sure you get all the attachments and fittings in corresponding sizes.

@jcarlsen

Hey buddy, what did you end up doing? Need any more help or did you figure it out?

Haven't had a chance to go to home depot yet :ROFLMAO:. I'm thinking I might be able to superglue a threaded pvc fitting under the hole and to be extra safe use some of the aquarium grade silicone around the outside of it. Then I should be able to screw on a fitting or hose from there.

Actually @Dbash44 did you use PVC glue for your piece on the bottom of yours?

Last edited:
Haven't had a chance to go to home depot yet :ROFLMAO:. I'm thinking I might be able to superglue a threaded pvc fitting under the hole and to be extra safe use some of the aquarium grade silicone around the outside of it. Then I should be able to screw on a fitting or hose from there.

Dont use superglue, it sucks at holding water, also sucks with bonding to pvc.

Use PVC glue, it melts the plastics together and becomes a chemical induced weld.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Christy-s-4-oz-PVC-Pipe-Cement-RH-RHBV-QP-48/100200766

It will never come apart though!

Back
Top Bottom