Improve on Imelda’s care

JoXie411

Chameleon Enthusiast
Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - veiled , female ,and 10 months - 1 year. Ive had her since the beginning of January
Handling - I haven’t handle her since the week I got her
Feeding - crickets, roaches , super worms, hornworms, silkworms, and BSFL. I give 2-3 Of everything that’s on a rotating schedule. I feed her ever other day. Gut load with mango, sweet potato, dandelion greens, collards , and carrots
Supplements - sticky tongue farms outdoor calcium twice a month and repashy superfoods calcium plus lod every feeding
Watering - she has a dripper and I hand mist her 4 times a day with sprays that last 1- 2 mins. I see her lick the air as I mist and sometimes the leafs if I stay long enough to watch
Fecal Description - brown and firm poop. Urine is nice and white not runny. Never been tested for pests
History - I found Imelda on Craig’s list. The owner had her for 3 months and didn’t know what she was doing. She had gotten her from a friend who had just lost their house. So I’m the 3rd owner. She had 3 thermal burns when I got her who have healed for the most part and the one on her back is still healing after 3 shedding.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - 16’x16’x30’ all screen cage. Will be upgrading size after I move next month
Lighting - house bulb 40 watt in a fluker clamp light and a zoomed t5 5.0 uvb that goes across cage
Temperature - basking is 85 and the lowest is 70. Night temps 60-65. I have a heat gun and zoomed dial gauge
Humidity - 45-55 during the day and 60-70 at night. I spray cage and have live plants
Plants - fern , umbrella , dracaena, and Bromeliads
Placement - on top of a dresser next to a window in the corner of the room
Location - Northern California near the the coastline

Current Problem - currently Imelda has a clutch of eggs developing. The 2nd owner told me she may have been exposed to a male at one point with the 1st owner. I completely didn’t think about the fact that these eggs may be fertilized till I woke from a nap today. I had just read that some chameleons and store the sperm for a few months? Did I read that correct? What do I need to know now. I don’t want to keep the eggs but I cant find myself to just throw them out if they are alive. Also health wise how does she look. She looks better then the day I brought her home but I’m sure she’s/me lacking on something still.

Attachments

• 7FDF2357-8BD2-4139-8454-4C81553604C7.jpeg
    7FDF2357-8BD2-4139-8454-4C81553604C7.jpeg
    346.5 KB · Views: 159
  • 8244D6CB-27F5-41F3-B47F-8AB0CFF17880.jpeg
    8244D6CB-27F5-41F3-B47F-8AB0CFF17880.jpeg
    426 KB · Views: 151
  • ED76B445-C1DF-4A09-AABE-E293C476B33D.jpeg
    ED76B445-C1DF-4A09-AABE-E293C476B33D.jpeg
    329.2 KB · Views: 156
If the eggs comes out yellowish color typically will be infertile.
Females have the ability to store sperm for a subsequent clutch. So out of a single mating she "may" produce 2-3 clutches in pencentage of fertile eggs in quick sequence in my opinion.

wait until they mold so you don't accidentally throw out a live egg but yes chameleons retain sperm sometimes for a while, get some hatch bedding and put them in there and keep it moist, I'm not the best person to ask for help on this but maybe @Brodybreaux25 can help

as for your care, misting should be around 2 mins everytime since chams can drink for a very long time

otherwise, I know you're upgrading your cage so you seem to be doing everything just right for little Imelda and I'm sure she is happy that you found her craigslist post!! also that is one chunky girl!!!

wait until they mold so you don't accidentally throw out a live egg but yes chameleons retain sperm sometimes for a while, get some hatch bedding and put them in there and keep it moist, I'm not the best person to ask for help on this but maybe @Brodybreaux25 can help

as for your care, misting should be around 2 mins everytime since chams can drink for a very long time

otherwise, I know you're upgrading your cage so you seem to be doing everything just right for little Imelda and I'm sure she is happy that you found her craigslist post!! also that is one chunky girl!!!

I will mist her longer for now on. When i do short ones is usually because she’s upset that I’m by her cage lol

Yea she’s a sweet potato I tell her but she agin sweet

treat them as if they are alive until they mold i'd say
YES,That's very kind of you....wish there are more kind of person in this world like you.
The day I found her on Craig’s list I wasn’t even looking for another chameleon I was just looking for supplies for Larry but I couldn’t leave her with her owner thinking someone else will come along and know what they are doing. Ppl will jump to save a dog but not a reptile. This was her the day I brought her home. She was kept in a 16x16x20 cage

Attachments

• 02E4759B-DED0-46CF-B67A-5D913CA43436.jpeg
    02E4759B-DED0-46CF-B67A-5D913CA43436.jpeg
    79.5 KB · Views: 124
The day I found her on Craig’s list I wasn’t even looking for another chameleon I was just looking for supplies for Larry but I couldn’t leave her with her owner thinking someone else will come along and know what they are doing. Ppl will jump to save a dog but not a reptile. This was her the day I brought her home. She was kept in a 16x16x20 cage
That poor baby cham...people just cant except their own responsibility after they bought their pets,they should be going to some sort of class like DMV class to get a lesson of 12 hr course....no consideration.....no wonder there are so many divorce rate n single parents n their children are the suffering victims:rolleyes:....
Back to the subject,I'm very glad that Larry n her are having you as their caretaker(y)

That poor baby cham...people just cant except their own responsibility after they bought their pets,they should be going to some sort of class like DMV class to get a lesson of 12 hr course....no consideration.....no wonder there are so many divorce rate n single parents n their children are the suffering victims:rolleyes:....
Back to the subject,I'm very glad that Larry n her are having you as their caretaker(y)
It’s a lot of work but work I love doing

Yup..those 2 large eyeballs constantly moving....the graceful moonwalking foot steps they takes....the precision of their long tongue striking the prey....24/7 room service type of work for us just to be close with the cham its undeniable.
Watching them hunt is amazing. The little dance they do

Watching them hunt is amazing. The little dance they do
Yes indeed , especially when you listen to Justin Timberlake or any type of good music...I was their ring leader more like aerobic instructor...sometimes I be wondering I'm their pet instead stare by their 2 nonstop moving eyeballs and look at me strange from some other type of the planet.

Yea it was the same for me and Apollo, I wasn't looking to get him, I was just looking for more supplies but he popped up and I couldn't help but take him home lol, rescuing for me is so rewarding because you get to help them into a new home and a better life

Yea it was the same for me and Apollo, I wasn't looking to get him, I was just looking for more supplies but he popped up and I couldn't help but take him home lol, rescuing for me is so rewarding because you get to help them into a new home and a better life
Apollo is a awesome name. I would agree it’s very rewarding now that I look back her old photos and seeing the condition she was in versus now and just the ability to give them a better chance of life and maybe learn not all humans are bad lol

This will ruffle some feathers.... the eggs are not alive at this point, just balls of goop. But you definitely can’t go wrong with treating them as viable eggs until you see the veins webbing all over the inside and you know for sure.

This will ruffle some feathers.... the eggs are not alive at this point, just balls of goop. But you definitely can’t go wrong with treating them as viable eggs until you see the veins webbing all over the inside and you know for sure.
What type of substrate should I put the eggs on during the incubation?

Back
Top Bottom