Importing chameleons into South Africa.... quarantine!

I am just very curious who will control temperature in my quarantine in the night?!

30days this is common, in EU it is standard as minimum for commercial imports but even if that idiotic quarantine regulation about temperature exists I can not imagine how it can be controlled in real life.

Reptiles may not be quarantined but I know livestock are and you are able to visit the facilities. I don't know all the rules because I don't think cattle from mexico are quarantined, but I know goats from Africa must be quarantined. They used to not even allow south African boer goats into the states.

It's interesting how they went around it. Back then you could bring spanish goats in, so they brought boer goats to Canada, flushed an embryo out and put the boer embryo in a Spanish goat and brought the Spanish goat in.

Maybe you could do something like that and have eggs imported.

I am just very curious who will control temperature in my quarantine in the night?!

30days this is common, in EU it is standard as minimum for commercial imports but even if that idiotic quarantine regulation about temperature exists I can not imagine how it can be controlled in real life.

From my experiences not. A vet checks them and after that you can take them home. If there would be a 30 days quarantine there wouldn't exist that many chameleons in Europe.

It sucks but the bigger picture is our local species are a lot less likely to be wiped out by a foreign bred virus or parasite.

South African wildlife experts are arguably the best in the world so you can imagine there was quite a bit of foresight that went into these decisions.

i highly doubt that they will wipe out local species! Why would i let new chameleons come in contact with my healthy ones, and i would not intend to release a chameleon that is worth so much.

It is a given that I know nothing on this subject, but just an idea. Could you import eggs? Maybe if carefully packed a few might hatch. Would eggs have to go into quaratine? That might be a way to make it happen, just a possible idea, I don't know.

It is a given that I know nothing on this subject, but just an idea. Could you import eggs? Maybe if carefully packed a few might hatch. Would eggs have to go into quaratine? That might be a way to make it happen, just a possible idea, I don't know.

hmm, as difficult as it would be to get eggs in, he is trying to import a live bearing species.

So that idea is out at least for the species he wants.

I know exactly situation in 4 EU countries. For commercial imports (in one of them is commercial every import above 50 specimens, up to 50 it is personal if you say so, in other it depends on addresee) there is 30 days quarantine. Mine is one of them.
For personal imports it depends on vet and usually after checking you can go home. I speak about import from non EU countries. Ask Maugg how it is with quarantine in Germany, I believe it can be the same. Or you can be lucky and not have it even for commercial imports.

From my experiences not. A vet checks them and after that you can take them home. If there would be a 30 days quarantine there wouldn't exist that many chameleons in Europe.

why dnt you try to get a few wild caught ones from various species that are well established in south africa and breed them....problem solved????

You mean like collecting bradypodions?
I dont want to get serious with them but I do have, the problem is you cant realy sell them to other people in SA because you need licenses and no one wants those hastles.

What about getting a group of like minded keepers together in South Africa and then getting the bigger order? That way you are not outlaying all the money......If you are in this situation I am sure there are other keepers who would love some Jacksons or Panthers as well. Thats what Cain did with a few others here on the forum to get some special chams in here to the US.

Yeah that the only problem is all the breeders are stingy to each other, some have more money than others and will try take over the whole thing and not let anyone else in.

Plus I am the person working my butt off to get an exporter of african species, to organise legal things and all that, so I will not just hand it over to someone else.

Those special chams are also ones I have except I have others they are very nice :D

Back
Top Bottom