Important

ATyrone

So i got 500 bsfl from calcigrubs and they came a bit smaller than i expected my fault i picked small size. But i tried to feed one to my veiled chameleon Yoda 1 when they came in and he didn't eat it anyone know a good way to introduce him to bsfl's also i tried to prick one because of the digestion issue (yoda doesn't usually chew much) and it just straight up died maybe they are to small to prick also I don't know how to place them they do not crawl up the cage like crickets do but they move to much to calmly place them on a leaf. any help is appreciated also shout out to one of the forums calcigrubs really great site with free shipping and they helped me out right away when i screwed up my account.

So i got 500 bsfl from calcigrubs and they came a bit smaller than i expected my fault i picked small size. But i tried to feed one to my veiled chameleon Yoda 1 when they came in and he didn't eat it anyone know a good way to introduce him to bsfl's also i tried to prick one because of the digestion issue (yoda doesn't usually chew much) and it just straight up died maybe they are to small to prick also I don't know how to place them they do not crawl up the cage like crickets do but they move to much to calmly place them on a leaf. any help is appreciated also shout out to one of the forums calcigrubs really great site with free shipping and they helped me out right away when i screwed up my account.
Good to know. I'm gonna need more soon and was wanting to try a different sponsor. Gonna go with them next ??

I use a feeder cup. They don't crawl up anything unless they are wet. My chameleon will eat them, but she isn't crazy about the larva.

When they turn into flies is when she gets interested. The flies are her favorite food. The larva eventually will turn to flies when it's warm. They aren't crazy like regular house flies, so they are easy to feed off.

After rinsing them off, I just put in a feeder cup (which I hold). As long as it’s moving, my girls will eat it. Let some hatch into flies, release into your enclosure and then it’s hunting time for your cham. :)

All good advice given to you so far. I just put the larvae in a clear cup that varies in size depending on the age/size of the cham I am feeding. They tend to stay in the cup until they are ready to pupate and become a fly.

I have also purchased from Calcigrubs and plan to keep using them as a source. The flies are like chameleon popcorn. Mine just love them.

I use a feeder cup. They don't crawl up anything unless they are wet. My chameleon will eat them, but she isn't crazy about the larva.

When they turn into flies is when she gets interested. The flies are her favorite food. The larva eventually will turn to flies when it's warm. They aren't crazy like regular house flies, so they are easy to feed off.
About how big are the flies because Yoda is only like 2-3 months old would they be to big for him or are they fine thanks for the help.

After rinsing them off, I just put in a feeder cup (which I hold). As long as it’s moving, my girls will eat it. Let some hatch into flies, release into your enclosure and then it’s hunting time for your cham. :)
I was Planning on letting them turn into flies but am worried at how big they will get he is only 2-3 months old, and i usually just free feed him not cup i enjoy watching him hunting from a distance will he eventually get used to the cup even though i have been feeding him freely?thankyou

About how big are the flies because Yoda is only like 2-3 months old would they be to big for him or are they fine thanks for the help.

My chameleon is only 4 months, so she is young too. The flies are only a tad longer than the larvae, but the flies seem more delicate than the larvae.

Chameleons are the strangest.
My chameleon couldnt care less about the flies in her cage. But she will RUN after a squiggling worm every time.

They can definitely be individuals, but even my smaller chams love black soldier flies. I would say that by 5-6 months they should be able to tackle the adult form. As for the stubborn hold-outs, well they are probably a bit fat and lazy with easy food delivered right to them, but if they go a bit (a few days) without other food they tend to re-develop the hunting strategy pretty quickly.

Now before I get blasted for cham-cruelty, or calling someone's chams fat, let me give the disclaimer that I am only speaking from the experience of my own chams where I have seen and dealt with the entire range of behaviors at one time or another. I have had some chams that could give a master class on stubborn, let me tell you. LOL

Chameleons are the strangest.
My chameleon couldnt care less about the flies in her cage. But she will RUN after a squiggling worm every time.

That is so interesting! My gal is becoming quite fussy when it comes to feeding. She poo poos the feeder cups and prefers to hunt. She will wait until a cricket hops out of the cup before going after it.

Thank you! I had come across the shooting gallery before I bought a feeder cup but couldn't find many reviews. Somehow, I missed the thread that you linked. It's great to see that you liked it. I'll definitely be ordering it! Do you still like it as much as when you first started using it?
Yes, I do. I cup feed and use the feeder run. But you could put whatever you want in the run. Beman was raised on cup feeding and is very used to it so I still use that for smaller items like BSFL.

Will the large size bsfl from calcigrubs last a good while before they pupate if I keep them in cold temps?

Back
Top Bottom