I'm worried..

Curtis James

Established Member
So I'm worried my blue veiled chameleon is not drinking water I have been monte ring his substrate and its kinda hello but still some white and not a lot of it.

Also I have seen him try and eat the fake plants in the cage is there any specific reason on why he would do that?

How long are you misting and how often?

Veileds are omnivorous and will eat vegetation when given a chance, so he's probably trying to 1. eat some greens, and 2. trying to get more water via eating greens. Why not add a couple safe, edible plants like hibiscus to his cage?

What are some safe plants that I would be able to put in his cage? Or could I put like lettuce or other greens in bowl in cage. I also mist 2-3 times a day once in morning sometimes middle of day and once at night. I mist for a bout 2-3min at a time.

I would add in a couple more misting sessions earlier in the day (say 2 in the morning and 2-3 in the afternoon) and see what his urates look like. Or look into adding a dripper if you go to work/school during the day. That would provide him with access to water for a while during the day, depending on how slowly it drips.

And yes, it's ok if you spray your chameleon. They don't usually like it very much but it's ok, it's not going to hurt them.

Okay thank you. How long should I spray at a time. I also do have a drip system for during day when at work is there a proper drip speed I should do?

I mist for 2 minutes every two hours.

I would suggest something along those lines.

if you cant mist that often, then do longer mistings every 3-4 hours.

A drip system is great, it provides water when you aren't there to mist.

I would suggest setting your dripper so a drop comes out every 1-3 seconds, but that's just my opinion.

Yea, the tinier the hole in the dripper container, the slower it will drip. I usually use a fine needle in a clean milk jug, but only poke a hole with the tippy-tip, and that give me a hole/holes that drip at a drop per second or slower. And in a large container that could be hours of water.

No, they will drink tap water. I would think it would have to be quite awful tap water for them not to.

If it is that bad, you definitely need to figure out another water source.

Heres the thing.

Yes, the chameleon is supposed to get wet during misting sessions. What you want to do, is simulate rain. It may take 10 min for the animal to start drinking, but it will drink if it is continuously raining in its environment.

You want sessions at least 5min long, 3-4 times a day. Allow enough time in between for the cage to dry out though. This will greatly reduce any chances of mold or mildew developing in the enclosure. You especially want enough time for the enclosure to dry out before lights off.

You want at least one 10 min session a day as well.

Its a good idea to give them a 30min+ session once every week or two as well. Taking them outside, or placing them in the shower if necessary.

What are you using to "mist"?

The term misting can be misleading. Mist is great, it will cover more surface area with water, and help raise humidity. It will cool the enclosure down. What it wont do, or iss not likely to do, is provoke a chameleon to drink.

Think rain.

Placing a lot of foliage in the cage(you should really use live plants, especially with an omnivore) will collect the "mist" and it will "rain" down from the foliage. So having some high up in the enclosure, with an open space below that has branches/vine running through it is a good idea.
The chameleon will have a semiprotected area to relax, and drink its fill during these sessions.

An automated misting system is great, its a life saver. However, I firmly believe all keepers should have one of these bad boys:http://www.lowes.com/pd_112857-1306-190377_0__?productId=4193785&Ntt=pesticide+pump+sprayer&pl=1¤tURL=%3FNtt%3Dpesticide%2Bpump%2Bsprayer&facetInfo=
As nothing is as good as a well executed hand misting session now and again.

You indeed also want a dripper going, anytime lights are on.

No, they will drink tap water. I would think it would have to be quite awful tap water for them not to.

If it is that bad, you definitely need to figure out another water source.

Heres the thing.

Yes, the chameleon is supposed to get wet during misting sessions. What you want to do, is simulate rain. It may take 10 min for the animal to start drinking, but it will drink if it is continuously raining in its environment.

You want sessions at least 5min long, 3-4 times a day. Allow enough time in between for the cage to dry out though. This will greatly reduce any chances of mold or mildew developing in the enclosure. You especially want enough time for the enclosure to dry out before lights off.

You want at least one 10 min session a day as well.

Its a good idea to give them a 30min+ session once every week or two as well. Taking them outside, or placing them in the shower if necessary.

What are you using to "mist"?

The term misting can be misleading. Mist is great, it will cover more surface area with water, and help raise humidity. It will cool the enclosure down. What it wont do, or iss not likely to do, is provoke a chameleon to drink.

Think rain.

Placing a lot of foliage in the cage(you should really use live plants, especially with an omnivore) will collect the "mist" and it will "rain" down from the foliage. So having some high up in the enclosure, with an open space below that has branches/vine running through it is a good idea.
The chameleon will have a semiprotected area to relax, and drink its fill during these sessions.

An automated misting system is great, its a life saver. However, I firmly believe all keepers should have one of these bad boys:http://www.lowes.com/pd_112857-1306-190377_0__?productId=4193785&Ntt=pesticide+pump+sprayer&pl=1¤tURL=%3FNtt%3Dpesticide%2Bpump%2Bsprayer&facetInfo=
As nothing is as good as a well executed hand misting session now and again.

You indeed also want a dripper going, anytime lights are on.

Thank you so much that was very helpful! Right now I just use a hand spray bottle. I try and use whole bottle on one spray session. Is it bad to spray at night before bed?

Put a plant, real or fake, in the shower and aim the spray towards the wall of the shower. Warm, not hot, water will hit the shower wall and cause a fine mist to hit the plant. This give your chameleon a chance to drink. Just make sure to watch your Cham the whole time he/she is in the shower..this is great for a chameleon who is dehydrated or has something in his eye that needs to be cleaned out. Hope this helps...

Thank you so much that was very helpful! Right now I just use a hand spray bottle. I try and use whole bottle on one spray session. Is it bad to spray at night before bed?

Youre very welcome, Im glad it was helpful.

Yes. You want the cage dry at night, there can be exceptions when youre a bit more experienced, but its good to have things dry at night as a general rule.

Im sure that is killing youre hand :eek: believe me, I know. :(

You need to be putting alot more water through the cage, than any spray bottle Ive ever seen can hold.

Like a half gallon or so wouldnt be bad. Each session. Or close to that.

You can find the sprayers like I posted at walmart for as low as $8 sometimes, its a dem fine investment. ;)

Just rinse it well before using it, and dont put anything other than water through it. No using an old one that has been used for anything else.

Get one, it will change you and your animals life. :)

i would like to thank every one that has helped me out with my watering concern! and i have notice my buddy being more active. and some what bigger eyes. and also more white in substrate! if anything goes down hill or changes i will let you know. thanks again. :D

Back
Top Bottom