Im sad but i miss having a chameleon

So today I woke up to see the side of my room empty with no terrarium in site and it just felt sad because that's something we all love to wake up to a chameleon and seeing them I'm looking at getting a new one but thanks to this forums the guilt as faded but I don't know if its to early and thank you every body for helping me not beat myself up about this yesterday I felt like it was my fault ge died and now I know i was an accident love every one of you on this website

Last edited:
I feel that only you could make that call. When my hamster died I was so sad. About a month later I got another one because i really missed caring for a little hammy-ham. Some people may think that's too soon but I felt ready for another one. Go with what feels right for you and your family and make sure you give yourself time to grieve. Its going to look different for everyone.

I feel that only you could make that call. When my hamster died I was so sad. About a month later I got another one because i really missed caring for a little hammy-ham. Some people may think that's too soon but I felt ready for another one. Go with what feels right for you and your family and make sure you give yourself time to grieve. Its going to look different for everyone.
Thanks you so mutch

I recently lost one and got another within a week. It was terrible. I couldn’t look at the empty cage knowing it was not husbandry related or something I did wrong. He was only 10 mos old. I don’t regret doing it quickly. This new fella turns the sorrow into smiles and that was what I needed.
You will know when it’s time as long as everything is in check ❤️

If you feel like getting a new one now will fill the hole that was left behind, I’d suggest go ahead. It is not a replacement but it is something that will make us whole or complete again. Don’t be afraid to move on early. Good luck!

I recently lost one and got another within a week. It was terrible. I couldn’t look at the empty cage knowing it was not husbandry related or something I did wrong. He was only 10 mos old. I don’t regret doing it quickly. This new fella turns the sorrow into smiles and that was what I needed.
You will know when it’s time as long as everything is in check ❤️
Thank you for the advice and sharing your story

It’s never easy to grieve the loss of a beloved animal friend and we all do it in our own ways and time frames. Whether it’s tomorrow or next year, you’ll know when you’re ready to get another.

I never knew helmeted chameleons were that beautiful. Those and the cristifer parsons. What a looker.

When I lost my first cham. I cleaned the pen real good, put new branches in and just raised plants in it for awhile. That way when I was ready my plants were already established.

So today I woke up to see the side of my room empty with no terrarium in site and it just felt sad because that's something we all love to wake up to a chameleon and seeing them I'm looking at getting a new one but thanks to this forums the guilt as faded but I don't know if its to early and thank you every body for helping me not beat myself up about this yesterday I felt like it was my fault ge died and now I know i was an accident love every one of you on this website
I struggled with this too. In fact, I was really close to just not even trying again after Max passed away. I was given advice about it on here, I took it, and made the decision pretty quickly to keep going. Plus, my son said he wanted to try again. That helped push me.

The second time around, I did everything completely different. I got rid of the "well we can probably get away with -this- mentality". I wouldn't even settle for the min recommended 2x2x4 enclosure. I told myself if I am gonna do it, I am going all out as much as I possibly can.

I still needed time to kinda grieve over Max. So, I decided to build my own enclosure, which I knew would take time. I made a 3x2x4 enclosure, which was the biggest I could possibly make for the space I had. Once it was time to treat the wood, I put a deposit down with Frams Chams (well I paid for the entire thing in advance). I got everything ready... all live plants. All real branches. Made sure I had all the right supplements, etc. and a good process. I had the enclosure being sustained a week before he even arrived.

I spent a LOT more (like double) on Spike than I was planning to. We don't have much money, and I'm back in school working on a degree, so budgeting has been tough lately, and so has time. And I can't be happier that I put all of that time, and money into Spike. I don't regret it at all. It was the right decision.

I've had Spike for about 4 months now. And being successful for him was a huge part of what helped me get over what happened with Max.

No one can tell you when you will be ready. You are gonna have to figure that out for yourself. But learning from the past and doing better (not saying anything was your fault, but usually it seems we can do things to prevent things from happening to our chameleons!) can certainly help. It helped me. Best of luck!

Go with your gut, you'll know when you're ready. I have lost a few over the years and it's not easy. Each time I did a good thorough cleaning of the enclosure but kept it set up and ready for use. I currently have seven enclosures with six chameleons and hopefully filling the seventh this week. 😊
Can you share what you are getting?

Back
Top Bottom