I'm loosing him.

Angelwolf

Chameleon Enthusiast
:( Echo is in a very bad state. I haven't been talking about it on the forums, but there have been a few who have noticed. This started about 2 weeks ago and as soon as I realized something was wrong, I immediately called the vet. He has been seen by the vet 3 times now in the paat week, and in the last 24 hours, he is really declining rapidly. He's gravely ill now, and we don't know why! I will keep you all updated, but sadly, I'm not expecting him to make it through the night.:unsure:

He started with this cough-like wretching. I couldn't tell if it was a respiratory thing, or trying to vomit. Either way, not good. It started out only occasionally. Then twice a day. Then multiple times a day, to almost 6 times a day. Took him to the vet as soon as I realized it was getting more consistent. The vet did x-rays which showed no signs of pneumonia or impaction. He has not been eating, but has been drinking like a champ. Until yesterday, when he quit drinking. We were thinking that the temperature was too cold, so I got a hotter bulb and that got his basking area to 90 degrees. That's when he started showing his bright beautiful colors. The coughing stopped, but now, in the last 24 hours, he has gone down hill, dramatically. I wentwto the vet again, today, where they did more xrays, which were still clear. They got only a tiny bit of blood from him and his hematocrit was extremely low. We gave him some warm subcutaneous fluid and force fed him, and also gave him a dose of antibiotics, but only 4hours later, he is now so weak he can't even hold himself upright, and even fell off of a branch. I made a hammock in his cage under the basking light, and I have placed him in it, but he's cold and basically limp. Still alive, but barely.

:( Echo is in a very bad state. I haven't been talking about it on the forums, but there have been a few who have noticed. This started about 2 weeks ago and as soon as I realized something was wrong, I immediately called the vet. He has been seen by the vet 3 times now in the paat week, and in the last 24 hours, he is really declining rapidly. He's gravely ill now, and we don't know why! I will keep you all updated, but sadly, I'm not expecting him to make it through the night.:unsure:
Im so sorry!

Sadly, there is more bad news. Echo lost his battle. At only 2 years old, he was still in his prime, and I really wish I could have bred him with the female I have on the way from @jannb but that wasn't meant to be.

Sorry for your lost. I also lost my chameleon today after a couple of weeks trying to save him. I didn't have the money to take him to the vet but I'm pretty sure it was a respiratory infection. He would have his good days and then he'd go downhill. I'm pretty sure I didn't have the humidity right for the little guy and he got dehydrated. Again, I'm so sorry for your lose. I hope it doesn't detur you from getting another one. I'm hoping to get another one soon.

Back
Top Bottom