I'm loosing him.

Sorry for your lost. I also lost my chameleon today after a couple of weeks trying to save him. I didn't have the money to take him to the vet but I'm pretty sure it was a respiratory infection. He would have his good days and then he'd go downhill. I'm pretty sure I didn't have the humidity right for the little guy and he got dehydrated. Again, I'm so sorry for your lose. I hope it doesn't detur you from getting another one. I'm hoping to get another one soon.
Sorry for your loss. Having pets can be tough when we lose them...they take a part of our hearts with them.

Thanks everyone. I took him back to my vet this afternoon, and we did a necropsy on him. My vet is a truly wonderful man. He did it in the room with me and let me watch. Before we began, he told me that one of his consulting docs thought maybe they could see an abdominal tortion from the xrays taken yesterday. He said after looking back at it again, he thought he saw it too. So when we opened him up, we found that hisheart, lungs, liver, gall bladder, kidneys and stomach looked very healthy. However, where his stomach emptied into his intestines, was not normal. He couldn't even follow the tissue past the stomach. His intestines were a dark purple color and kind of stringy. We are pretty confident that his stomach twisted and caused all of this to happen. We wouldn't have known what the problem was without major surgery, and they just don't do well with anesthesia. And they don't have as much intestinal tissue as mammals do, so resection was not likely to be an option, even if we had caught it early. So it was just a freak thing that happened, that couldn't have been avoided, and couldn't have been fixed. Poor Echo didn't stand a chance. But at least there is some comfort in knowing it was nothing we did or didn't do, and had nothing to do with the quality of his care.

Thanks everyone. I took him back to my vet this afternoon, and we did a necropsy on him. My vet is a truly wonderful man. He did it in the room with me and let me watch. Before we began, he told me that one of his consulting docs thought maybe they could see an abdominal tortion from the xrays taken yesterday. He said after looking back at it again, he thought he saw it too. So when we opened him up, we found that hisheart, lungs, liver, gall bladder, kidneys and stomach looked very healthy. However, where his stomach emptied into his intestines, was not normal. He couldn't even follow the tissue past the stomach. His intestines were a dark purple color and kind of stringy. We are pretty confident that his stomach twisted and caused all of this to happen. We wouldn't have known what the problem was without major surgery, and they just don't do well with anesthesia. And they don't have as much intestinal tissue as mammals do, so resection was not likely to be an option, even if we had caught it early. So it was just a freak thing that happened, that couldn't have been avoided, and couldn't have been fixed. Poor Echo didn't stand a chance. But at least there is some comfort in knowing it was nothing we did or didn't do, and had nothing to do with the quality of his care.
Good thing to know what had happened. I did not know there was such thing as a torsed stomach. I'm so sorry for your loss, may Echo live happily in Heaven.

@Angelwolf I'm so glad you got the autopsy done so you know that there was nothing you had done to cause Echo's demise. I'm also glad that you shared it with the forum so we can all learn something from it.

Just for information...There is a similar thing (twisted intestine) that happens in horses and if not diagnosed quickly the horse will die. They stop eating and then drinking just like Echo seems to have done.

You did the best you could for Echo and that's all that can be done...the best possible.
So sorry again for your loss.

Back
Top Bottom