I'm going to lose my Beanie

The plan is to spay her as soon as possible but she's not quite up for surgery just yet. I got 2 totally different opinions on her hip, but the second vet didn't get very good scans and said she was too dehydrated to try to get blood. Her primary vet said that it looks like gout, but it doesn't normally present in hips. She'd expect to see it in her feet. Her urates aren't looking good. They are almost entirely crystallized

Awe. I'm glad she was successful in laying. Hopefully you're able to nurse her back to health. She seems to have a lot of fight in her, so fight for her as long as she wants to fight for herself! I'm praying for you both!

Keep her drinking of course, you said her urates are crystalized, does she get anything like silkworms or hornworms that provide extra moisture?

Keep her drinking of course, you said her urates are crystalized, does she get anything like silkworms or hornworms that provide extra moisture?
She's not a fan of silkies, but she loves hornworms. In fact I have to be careful because she'll decide that's all she wants to eat. Right now she's eating quite a few soldier flies, she'll actually get around to hunt for them. She gets hornworms twice a week, but I am only feeding every other day. She's still pretty chunky even after laying such a huge clutch so she's on a diet. It's hard to balance, I can't feed as much so I'm trying to only feed super nutritious feeders. I'd like to see her eat dubia because I can gutload them so heavily, but of course she won't touch them.

How many insects do you feed her in a week right now?
She's fed every other day, right now I'm mostly feeding soldier flies. About 10 at each meal. She has to hunt for them, which she really enjoys but I don't think she is catching all 10. I give her 3 medium hornworms when she gets them. They grow so fast, so I feed more or less depending on the size but she gets 2 when they are final instar. She loves hawk moths, so as mine hatch she gets one at a meal. I throw crickets in maybe once a week because I know they are very well gutloaded, 8 large at a feeding.

She's fed every other day, right now I'm mostly feeding soldier flies. About 10 at each meal. She has to hunt for them, which she really enjoys but I don't think she is catching all 10. I give her 3 medium hornworms when she gets them. They grow so fast, so I feed more or less depending on the size but she gets 2 when they are final instar. She loves hawk moths, so as mine hatch she gets one at a meal. I throw crickets in maybe once a week because I know they are very well gutloaded, 8 large at a feeding.

Wow! That's allot of food. My girls gets about what's equal to 8 large crickets a week. I feed all my adults 3 days a week.

Wow! That's allot of food. My girls gets about what's equal to 8 large crickets a week. I feed all my adults 3 days a week.
I can definitely cut her back further, I was just nervous about underfeeding. She's on liquid calcium and everything she eats is dusted, so her calcium needs are definitely covered. Would cutting the meals I'm feeding in half and going down to 3 meals a week be enough for her?

After a veiled female lays eggs I feed them well for 2days then put them back on the diet..about 6 crickets 2 or 3 times a week. If you continue longer than that it seems they will produce another large clutch. Since you're planning on getting her spayed this may or may not matter depending on how quickly she is spayed. I'm not a vet so I can only speak from experience. Just my opinion.

I'm really glad she is doing so well! She sounds like she may just pull through this! I would offer her as much water as she'll drink and honestly right now, I think you should allow her to eat as much as she wants. She needs to replenish her body before you can get her spayed. She needs to go into surgery as a healthy girl, not one who is still recovering.

Hope the spaying goes well! You have some hard choices to make to have her as healthy as possible for the spaying.
Best if luck to her and you!

wait.....if her kidneys are possibly failing why would you spay her? just curious, because last page there was talk of maybe putting her down. im so confused.

She's doing remarkably well, she's actually passing normal urates! I have an appointment for more scans in a few weeks, her hip is still looking bad but she's not favoring that leg anymore. She's also not showing any dehydration, but I wish her colors were a little bit better. The last set of scans I have were hard to read with her so full of eggs. She is back to her grumpy self and all over her cage wandering around.

She's doing remarkably well, she's actually passing normal urates! I have an appointment for more scans in a few weeks, her hip is still looking bad but she's not favoring that leg anymore. She's also not showing any dehydration, but I wish her colors were a little bit better. The last set of scans I have were hard to read with her so full of eggs. She is back to her grumpy self and all over her cage wandering around.
This is wonderful news !!. They sure are Amazing creatures . Delicate and strong at the same time .

Back
Top Bottom