I'm going to lose my Beanie

ZacharyLeesWife

Avid Member
She's struggling. The vet's opinion is that her kidneys are too swollen to function properly. The bloodwork won't be back for a few more days but she has gout evident in her scans. I just don't know how to let her go, she's barely even a year old! She's showing a 3rd clutch already. She's as spunky as ever, but you can see the bone problems over her hip. Am I doing the wrong thing by not putting her down? She's always thirsty, she is taking daily showers now. She's eating almost exclusively soldier flies, a few crickets here and there. 14943623875531867202030.jpg

@ZacharyLeesWife I'm very very sorry you are going through this. It is very hard.

According to your vet, she is dying. You can let her suffer or you can do her a favor and end it now. You cannot cure kidney failure or gout, possibly only slow it down. Kidney failure and gout are very painful. Ask yourself, do you really want her try to lay that clutch?

Kidney failure and gout are usually caused by dehydration either chronic or one severe episode. There are other reasons such as giving drugs that are toxic to the kidneys, especially if given when dehydrated. This might have happened before you got her.

Again, I'm very very sorry. It is hard but you will be doing her a favor. It is inevitable.

She went through a few days of an albon cycle for coccidia, but we switched because of how hard it would be on her. She's been passing clean fecals, but I wonder if it did enough damage before we cut it off that might be irreparable.
The hardest part is that I know she's hurting. She isn't showing any bone deficiency but she grabs herself with every other step. I have a catch net in for her, but this next infertile clutch is going to require a lay bin, so I have considered laying her cage down so it's shallow enough to not worry about falling but still having room for a bin.

@ZacharyLeesWife One other thing and I know you don't want to hear this right now but make sure your vet understands the difficulties of euthanizing a chameleon
She went through a few days of an albon cycle for coccidia, but we switched because of how hard it would be on her. She's been passing clean fecals, but I wonder if it did enough damage before we cut it off that might be irreparable.
The hardest part is that I know she's hurting. She isn't showing any bone deficiency but she grabs herself with every other step. I have a catch net in for her, but this next infertile clutch is going to require a lay bin, so I have considered laying her cage down so it's shallow enough to not worry about falling but still having room for a bin.

Please don't ask her to go through this. Laying is hard enough on them as it is.

And for what? For you? Do you really think she is enjoying her life? If the vet's diagnosis is correct, and I bet it is, she will not get better. And she will suffer.

By the way, MBD is also caused by kidney failure. And kidney failure is progressive. And incurable.
I'm really sorry, but help her through this.

As long as she's feeling ok and spunky I'd take care of her as long as you can. You will know when the time has come.
I would also recommend a second opinion from a different vet.

I don't know, you could be right Jann, but I don't think so. Of course I'm just guessing, but it doesn't seem like time is on her side. 3 clutches in less than a year is brutal. A fully healthy girl would be challenged by that, but it seems like there are more complications here.
We should know more when the results come back, and maybe some good news could be there, but if not it is difficult to know the right answer.

I'm so sorry to hear that you are having this trouble! I had a feeling when I saw that you weren't online for over a week, and especially with eggs on the verge of hatching (I hope they are still ok!) and you're usually on every day, just like me. I was afraid something was going on! I'm praying for you and Dilly Bean!! I really hope you are able to get some answers, what ever they may be. I am so very sorry!

How is Bean doing? I'm almost afraid to ask, because I see you haven't been online for a few days again. Please tell me she is alright?

I am so sorry to hear this news hun, I hope she is ok...? I have been absent from the forums lately more than I'd like to be. Have been having a lot of issues of my own. Hoping for you two <3

She laid 72 eggs yesterday. I never expected her to be able to lay them. She's not eating yet but she's drinking like a little fish. Her left hip looks pretty bad but she's still got a strong grip in the foot.

I don't want to upset her for a better picture, but that hip is going to be a problem

Attachments

• 20170515_201114.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 115
I'm really glad to hear that she was able to lay her eggs. 72 sure was allot of eggs. I will be keeping you and your little girl in my thoughts and prayers.

Back
Top Bottom