Illness questions?

Olivia2174

Hi all,
I have an approximately 5 month old female veiled named Daisy. I’m curious if it’s normal for her to open her mouth frequently. I’ve done research on UPIs, and she eats normally, drinks okay (I’ve only seen her drink like once or twice a day, but I do work), and is active. Her eyes don’t look sunken to me, and I don’t see extra saliva, although she does have what looks like built up minerals around her nose recently. I noticed when I took her out earlier she opened her mouth wide and wiggled from side to side a bit. I don’t think she was aggravated as I do take her out almost every day and she’s used to me. And also when I was letting her hang out in my shower on a vine (I heard that is good for them) she opened her mouth, so I was wondering if it was too hot/steamy in there. I do have a heating pad at the bottom of her cage but haven’t turned it on because in the past she just hangs out down there on it and I want her to bask in her day/UVB bulbs properly. I do supplement as well. And do they sigh? She will take deep breaths every once in a while. I’ll hear like the faintest tiny pop noise when she breathes sometimes too (you have to be close to her to hear her when she does it). I have all artificial plants in her cage as of right now, but plan on buying/growing real ones that are safe for her soon. Also- any recommendations/changes for her cage that I set up is always helpful! I apologize in advance for all of my questions as this is my first chameleon I have owned and want to give Miss Daisy the best!
image.jpg
image.jpg

Hi there. Welcome. If you could please fill this out with as much detail as possible. Just copy paste and add your answers. It will help us assist you. I already see a few issues with the enclosure and lighting.

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:

1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

My Chameleon
[*]Miss daisy is a 5/6 month old female veiled chameleon
[*]I handle her almost every day for about 30 minutes.
[*]I feed her 8-10 medium crickets that I give her usually in the late afternoon. Along with 2 super worms. My feeders eat potatoes and carrots.
[*] for supplements I use repti calcium with d3 every other week, herptivite every other week, and repti calcium without d3 every day.
[*] I use the little dripper and most 2x a day (although it can be hard to hold in the humidity) so I also monitor it.
[*] Her fecal matter is solid, dark brown and white.
[*] I have no idea where she came from, a friend had a male and realized they couldn’t go together.

Cage Info
[*] my cage is a Zilla screen cage length 18IN height 20IN width 12IN
[*] I use a 5.0 UVB 13 way tropical zoo led bulb, as well as a 60 watt? (Friend gave it to me) day bulb.
[*] basking spot Sits at 75-80 degrees with 45% humidity and on the floor it’s 65 degrees with 50% humidity. I have a temp/humidity gauge up top, and a temperature and humidity gauge on the bottom. I must twice a day with a spray mister unless humidity levels aren’t where they need to be.
[*] I’m not using any live plants.
[*] my cage is in a darker place, in a corner of the living room not far from the window. Her cage is about a foot/ foot and a half off the ground.
[*] I’m currently located in the SF Bay Area, California.

I need reccomendations on husbandry, and answers on her breathing/mouth opening. :)

When you had her in the bathroom... I am guessing you were running the shower on hot with her in there as well?

Gaping is usually a sign of your Cham being too warm. At that age they really don't like anything over 85 degrees. She looks healthy from your pics. Are you using a compact or linear UVB bulb?

As far as immediate changes... Lighting needs to be changed to a T5HO Fixture with a 10.0 UVB bulb. These are long linear fixtures.
She needs a bigger enclosure. I would go with a 2x2x4 since she will also need to have a lay bin in the next few months.
I would add live plants they can really help balance the humidy.
Basking spot needs to be about 85 degrees no hotter. No heat pad on the bottom of the enclosure.
She needs many more horizontal vines and branches. It is not normal for them to lay on leaves like that.

Yes the water was definitely warmer :)
So you are going to want to stop doing this... Hot moist air is not good for them to breathe. When you see that we use foggers for humidity we only use them at night like between the hours of 12am and 4am because the enclosure is at its coolest and they are cool mist foggers.

My Chameleon
[*]Miss daisy is a 5/6 month old female veiled chameleon
[*]I handle her almost every day for about 30 minutes.
[*]I feed her 8-10 medium crickets that I give her usually in the late afternoon. Along with 2 super worms. My feeders eat potatoes and carrots.
[*] for supplements I use repti calcium with d3 every other week, herptivite every other week, and repti calcium without d3 every day.
[*] I use the little dripper and most 2x a day (although it can be hard to hold in the humidity) so I also monitor it.
[*] Her fecal matter is solid, dark brown and white.
[*] I have no idea where she came from, a friend had a male and realized they couldn’t go together.

Cage Info
[*] my cage is a Zilla screen cage length 18IN height 20IN width 12IN
[*] I use a 5.0 UVB 13 way tropical zoo led bulb, as well as a 60 watt? (Friend gave it to me) day bulb.
[*] basking spot Sits at 75-80 degrees with 45% humidity and on the floor it’s 65 degrees with 50% humidity. I have a temp/humidity gauge up top, and a temperature and humidity gauge on the bottom. I must twice a day with a spray mister unless humidity levels aren’t where they need to be.
[*] I’m not using any live plants.
[*] my cage is in a darker place, in a corner of the living room not far from the window. Her cage is about a foot/ foot and a half off the ground.
[*] I’m currently located in the SF Bay Area, California.

I need reccomendations on husbandry, and answers on her breathing/mouth opening. :)

Do you have a laying bin?

See my post about immediate changes and then we can go from there. You also need to be gutloading your feeders properly. Here is a graphic for that, feeders, and UVB lighting.
Gutloading 101.jpeg
UVB lighting pic.jpeg
Basic Feeder pic.jpeg

So you are going to want to stop doing this... Hot moist air is not good for them to breathe. When you see that we use foggers for humidity we only use them at night like between the hours of 12am and 4am because the enclosure is at its coolest and they are cool mist foggers.

Wow thanks a lot for letting me know. I didn’t do it often but I’m glad I know now! Now is it okay to cut everything off at night? My place is kind of airy, and it get from 45 to the 50s.

Wow thanks a lot for letting me know. I didn’t do it often but I’m glad I know now! Now is it okay to cut everything off at night? My place is kind of airy, and it get from 45 to the 50s.
So the room where she is at is that cold? Is there anywhere else in the house that stays in the upper 50's? You really don't want them lower then 50 degrees. You can do a ceramic heat bulb at night because it does not produce light but you have to make sure that it does not heat things up too much. They really need the cool down at night.

Awesome! I’m taking my girl there next week for a check up.

I am in Redwood City and they’re great! Dr. Peak is very helpful! I was thinking of taking Miss Daisy in just to see how she’s doing health wise, and if she is about to lay eggs then I really do need to monitor that and get things set up!

So the room where she is at is that cold? Is there anywhere else in the house that stays in the upper 50's? You really don't want them lower then 50 degrees. You can do a ceramic heat bulb at night because it does not produce light but you have to make sure that it does not heat things up too much. They really need the cool down at night.

Yes it can get very cold down here sometimes, it makes me nervous. We are currently fixing up what used to be a basement, so it has no AC/heating.

Back
Top Bottom