Illness questions?

Yes it can get very cold down here sometimes, it makes me nervous. We are currently fixing up what used to be a basement, so it has no AC/heating.

I do have a ceramic heat bulb, but it definitely can get a little warm. That’s why I set up that heating pad.

I am in Redwood City and they’re great! Dr. Peak is very helpful! I was thinking of taking Miss Daisy in just to see how she’s doing health wise, and if she is about to lay eggs then I really do need to monitor that and get things set up!
Yea she’s great. I drive the extra 40 mins just to see her. The first vet I found in my area didn’t know much about chameleons. Only want he learned on google during the appointment

Yes it can get very cold down here sometimes, it makes me nervous. We are currently fixing up what used to be a basement, so it has no AC/heating.
Well no heat pad. honestly I prefer a small space heater to warm up an area. Even with a low wattage ceramic bulb your only warming one area of the cage up... So if she decides to sleep somewhere else then it will not do her much good.

you should use a white house bulb 40-60 watts to heat your chams cage... its better to imitate the light and warmth of sunlight
We are talking about night time heating because her house gets below 50... Do you think a small space heater is better then a ceramic bulb? I would think it would be better because then it is a more consistent ambient temp rather then one area getting warm. What are your thoughts on this?

We are talking about night time heating because her house gets below 50... Do you think a small space heater is better then a ceramic bulb? I would think it would be better because then it is a more consistent ambient temp rather then one area getting warm. What are your thoughts on this?
oh I mean day time oops didn't read the entire post lol, I use a che because space heaters heat the entire room... I think its better to have a heated cage with some draft coming through so it gives the cham a chance to choose hot or cold

How’s your Humidity? I’ve been struggling to keep a good balanced level with all the crazy weather change through out the day

Oh yeah with rain and then sun it can be a nightmare. I mist her and it’ll stay just in time from the time I go to work, lunch break, then home. I know part of the reason I have to be so consistent is because of the artificial plants, and at one point I had substrate but read that it wasn’t necessary or good for them. Up top it’ll stay between 40-50% and at the bottom it’s 50%. He problem is the window she’s close to. I think I need to move her because believed it or not the window is broken and has a wooden plank covering it. ughh. So thats why this place is pretty airy.

Oh yeah with rain and then sun it can be a nightmare. I mist her and it’ll stay just in time from the time I go to work, lunch break, then home. I know part of the reason I have to be so consistent is because of the artificial plants, and at one point I had substrate but read that it wasn’t necessary or good for them. Up top it’ll stay between 40-50% and at the bottom it’s 50%. He problem is the window she’s close to. I think I need to move her because believed it or not the window is broken and has a wooden plank covering it. ughh. So thats why this place is pretty airy.
Ahh sounds like a typical window in the Bay Area lol. I’m looking into a auto mister now so I can hopefully over come this humidity problem

Ahh sounds like a typical window in the Bay Area lol. I’m looking into a auto mister now so I can hopefully over come this humidity problem

I work at a petco and was looking into getting the new cages and light fixtures, more vines, etc., but the cages are out of stock online. Where did you buy your cage? I knew I had to upgrade soon the sad thing is I just bought this cage. Ahh they grow up so fast :)

I work at a petco and was looking into getting the new cages and light fixtures, more vines, etc., but the cages are out of stock online. Where did you buy your cage? I knew I had to upgrade soon the sad thing is I just bought this cage. Ahh they grow up so fast :)
I got one cage from Petco and the other from a pet store in my town. There happen to be the only ppl who stock cages but I’m going to upgrade soon to a bigger cage for both my chameleons. I’m going to order the new one off diy cages next. They look nicer then the zoo med one

Honestly don't buy reptibreeze. They work yes and they do the job but they tend to rust. And there is no door hinge. Get yourself a DIY 2x2x4 off Ebay or better yet a Dragonstrand cage. DIY large is $120 shipped has a hinge and is made out of aluminum not painted black carbon steel. Dragonstrand are even better but a little more on the pricey side.

It’s a mini compact!
53581825_2082435731806067_7881559790420230144_n.jpg

Do any of you guys have problems with your chameleons getting little white boogers? Aren’t they from minerals/salts and how do I fix that? I found out the reason she opens her mouth is because her nose gets clogged with those :( I’m afraid that the city water is doing it. How do I fix it?

Do any of you guys have problems with your chameleons getting little white boogers? Aren’t they from minerals/salts and how do I fix that? I found out the reason she opens her mouth is because her nose gets clogged with those :( I’m afraid that the city water is doing it. How do I fix it?
Yeah that would be the issue. So you will want to get either RO water for her (typically pet stores will sell this by the gallon) or distilled water.

I started to use filtered water. Just bought a water pitcher and fixed the problem

Back
Top Bottom