identify and sex leaf chameleon

sakohunter

hi I am new here and just got these chameleons a few days ago,
I forgot to ask the pet store what exact species these are. I just know they are African leaf chameleons.

can someone please help me identify what species, and sex if possible, they were cage mates so they get along together fine. I'm hoping one is male and the other female, if not I will get another male if both are female.

one is lighter brown beige, and the other is darker in color usually.

first 2 pics are of the lighter one, and last 2 are of the darker one.

thanks for all the help

Attachments

• DSC_0001.JPG
    DSC_0001.JPG
    79.3 KB · Views: 198
  • DSC_0008.JPG
    DSC_0008.JPG
    87.1 KB · Views: 210
  • DSC_1034_01.JPG
    DSC_1034_01.JPG
    82.9 KB · Views: 202
  • DSC_0018.JPG
    DSC_0018.JPG
    72.7 KB · Views: 161
  • DSC_1035_01.JPG
    DSC_1035_01.JPG
    89.3 KB · Views: 191
Those are Rhampholeon temporalis. You can tell from the shape of the head (particularly the snout), tail and patterning on the flanks. As for their sex, in some of the photos I think they are both females and in others I think both males. They look young though, which could be part of the issue. Can you try to post a bunch more photos of each from the side that shows their tail?

Chris

here are the additional photos as requested, after googling Rhampholeon temporalis, those are probably the correct ID. and after seeing some male female photos, im guessing my lighter colored one is female, the darker one could be male or female. can you confirm. thank you

first 2 are of the lighter one, last 3 are of the darker one.

Attachments

• DSC_0032.JPG
    DSC_0032.JPG
    54.8 KB · Views: 182
  • DSC_0037.JPG
    DSC_0037.JPG
    86.6 KB · Views: 172
  • DSC_0022.JPG
    DSC_0022.JPG
    57.3 KB · Views: 144
  • DSC_0023.JPG
    DSC_0023.JPG
    61 KB · Views: 117
  • DSC_0028.JPG
    DSC_0028.JPG
    102.7 KB · Views: 158
here are the additional photos as requested, after googling Rhampholeon temporalis, those are probably the correct ID. and after seeing some male female photos, im guessing my lighter colored one is female, the darker one could be male or female. can you confirm. thank you

first 2 are of the lighter one, last 3 are of the darker one.

I can guarantee you the ID is correct. As for sexing, after seeing your new photos, I would agree with you that the lighter colored animal appears to be a female and the darker looks like a male.

Chris

hi,

I just noticed my 2 chameleons, flair up at each other, it was really brief as they crossed paths, only lasted 5 seconds or so then they both went their ways.

would this mean that I have 2 males? do female/female or male/female do this when they are not ready to mate?

thanks, im still trying to confirm the sexes.

Back
Top Bottom