I was found guilty!!!

DeFishy

Ok, it isn't as bad as it sounds. Basically I've ended up taking care of a baby mouse, barely a couple of days old really. I bought it to feed to my bearded dragon on reccomendation of a breeder and he didn't take it. My parents found out and freaked out at me for cruelty and while I can understand it, I also understand the laws of nature. But anyway, so now that no one ate it I have now taken it upon myself to raise it to adult hood and then find it a good home. I've bought on reccomendation hamster fluff, a small plastic terrarium, and some newborn kitten milk (there wasn't any mouse milk), I fed him successfully today he was lapping it all up so maybe he will survive. Any thoughts on how else to care for him? Hes is in a warm place, in a darker environment to keep him from getting scared, and i'm currently working on a feeding schedual.

ROFLMAO ---- Are you serious? You are going to raise a mouse? That is a funny story, thanks for the laugh.

At least you don't have 2. Best friend had a pair of mice. Came back to his house 2 months later and he had ten. 2 Months after that he had 50. Stunk like nothing I've smelled before. My advice: before it's too late, find someone with a snake or make your parents deal with the mouse.

Im happy for your mouse. :)
If you can find a mouse breeder you may be able to get a surrogate mom for it (one that's just given birth, make sure to rub your mouse with the bedding of the mom and her other babies so mom doesnt eat the strange smelling new-comer). A surogate hamster or rat might also work. Good call re the cat milk - this will work but dilute it more than you would for a kitten. Another options i human soy infant formula. Feed every two hours with an eye dropper. A warm hot water bottle wrapped in a towel will keep little mouse warm. 95F I think for pinkies, less warm for fuzzies. Several times Daily take a damp face cloth and rub the corner on the baby mouses belly and genitals - this will encourage it to pee/poop (like the mother licking it would).

This site may prove helpful to you: http://www.ratfanclub.org/orphans.html even though its for rats, the advice should hold true for mice as well (I did something very similar for orphaned hamsters)

Last edited:
I raised a fuzzy mouse that was suppose to be a feeder for a sick snake, had him since last Valentines Day. There lifespan is not all that long maybe 1-2 years.

Smells if you dont clean the cage at least once every two weeks. Light layer of baking soda under the bedding and a drop of vanilla extract in the water could control odors better-I never tried this it was told by me from a hamster breeder, I just replace bedding every week or two. Forget keeping the mouse in your bedroom once they get to a certain age they make noise all night long.

Real funny I didnt even want to keep this stupid mouse but my wife made me promise I wouldnt feed him off. Now, I like the little punk-he even had the chance to escape his cage and didnt leave, the cage must had been open for about 24 hours at least lol. I hand feed him sometimes but I dont hold him-if I have to move him its by the tail.

If you do keep it dont get another mouse of the opposite sex, you will have more babies then you know what to do with in a very short time.

Ok, it isn't as bad as it sounds. Basically I've ended up taking care of a baby mouse, barely a couple of days old really. I bought it to feed to my bearded dragon on reccomendation of a breeder and he didn't take it. My parents found out and freaked out at me for cruelty and while I can understand it, I also understand the laws of nature. But anyway, so now that no one ate it I have now taken it upon myself to raise it to adult hood and then find it a good home. I've bought on reccomendation hamster fluff, a small plastic terrarium, and some newborn kitten milk (there wasn't any mouse milk), I fed him successfully today he was lapping it all up so maybe he will survive. Any thoughts on how else to care for him? Hes is in a warm place, in a darker environment to keep him from getting scared, and i'm currently working on a feeding schedual.

I'm glad I'm not the only softie! I have been known to rescue mice,etc from my cats!:eek: I just wouldn't be able to feed anything that I would keep as a pet to another pet. I could never have a snake. My youngest cat sits and watches my sugar glider, but I tell her in no uncertain terms: 'You don't eat family'!! :D

probably might as well go ahead and keep it seeing that you already got a cage/bedding for it. I'm not sure how raising a baby mouse will go but good luck :)

Well, thanks for all of your tips but unfortunetly I must report that he passed away sometime during the night. :( I'm glad to have been able to help the little guy as much as I could, and if I ever end up with another one I'll have everything prepared to take care of it. Thank you all again for everything. I'm sorry to have to report such sad news.

mice and small furry things like them are the only things I don't have a soft spot for.. by the way I PM'd you your drawing

One of my favorite pets was a rat named Streak. He was food for my red tail boa who isn't eat him. I have this thing that once I nurture it it's not a food source anymore. Streak lived 7 years, came to his name, would lay with me and my daughter when I read her her bedtime stories...Cool dude!

What kind of rat was it? Rattus rattus and Rattus norvegicus (think I spelt it right) only live for about 2.5 years, 3's really pushing it. 2 of my 3 rats both passed away in the last 6 weeks. They were both around 2 years old. I'm hoping Molly lives a little longer, she doesn't have any weight problems that the other 2 developed.

not sure if it will work for mice, but they make stuff you put in ferrets water to make there poop odorless.

i use it for mine

One of my favorite pets was a rat named Streak. He was food for my red tail boa who isn't eat him. I have this thing that once I nurture it it's not a food source anymore. Streak lived 7 years, came to his name, would lay with me and my daughter when I read her her bedtime stories...Cool dude!

So are you allowed to feed live food to snakes in the US? My understanding is that it is illegal in the UK (plus can be dangerous to the snakes).

You had a rat live seven years? That is amazing! Most of ours have lived to 2 - 21/2, but we had one that was 4 when we eventually had to put her down. One of the funniest things we ever saw with her was her chasing my cat around the room!

Back
Top Bottom