I want to keep crickets but I live in ARIZONA!!

Tell mom dubia need your house temps to be over 85 f for them to reproduce and they are live bearers they dont lay eggs and they reproduce kinda slow:)

Tell mom dubia need your house temps to be over 85 f for them to reproduce and they are live bearers they dont lay eggs and they reproduce kinda slow:)

more effectively, tell her it's papaya beetle, rather than mentioning the term cockroaches.:D
hahahaha...
Perhaps, silkworms will be your best staple then. You can put them in your room without fear they will escape nor chirp.

more effectively, tell her it's papaya beetle, rather than mentioning the term cockroaches.:D
hahahaha...
Perhaps, silkworms will be your best staple then. You can put them in your room without fear they will escape nor chirp.
I would love to use Silkworms if he ate them.. sadly I gave him one, he ate it, tried to give him another, he wouldn't even take a second look at it.. but I'll tell her it's a papaya beetle. :D

I have had problems in the past with keeping large quantities of crickets. The amounts of die offs were crazy. I was keeping them in a garage in Florida, where in the summer the garage got to be 100+degrees. So i can imagine that keeping them in a shed/garage thing in Arizona would not allow too many to survive.

I also read that crickets should be kept temps around 75ish for digestive purposes. (basically if they are too hot or cold even if they eat good gut load the nutrients wont be absorbed)

Now i just go the local store (almost daily...:rolleyes:) that is 30 secs from my place and buy a dozen or 2 crickets. let them feed overnight and feed in the morning.

My chams love super worms. They are very easy to keep. You can use a plastic refrigerator container. They don't get out of the container. Just put them in a couple of inches of dry oatmeal. I toss in some kale once in awhile or a piece of potato. They are easy to feed off to your cham. You can keep them on top of your dresser.

Yes I did mean keep the crickets in bins in the hole, where it would be cooler in the day and warmer in the night. Probably not practical :)

Madagascar Hissing Cockroaches dont look like typical native north american roaches, so you could call them hissing beetles and perhaps they'd get a pass from mom. They're not particularily fast breeding or fast moving. They dont drop eggs. They actually make quite interesting pets. and they make decent feeders (the babies and young ones, up to a year or two old - after that they get to big, but you keep those ones as breeders to make more)

how long has it been since it tried the silkworm and refused the second one? how big was the silkworm / how old was the chameleon?
Maybe its time to try again?

About 3 weeks ago, the silky was about erm... half an inch? Maybe a bit more. That was the smallest I could find. He was... well, I don't know the age of my cham, previous owner said 9 months old about 1-2 months ago, and people here say 4-5 months old. Well, goodnight for now!

Back
Top Bottom