I want to keep crickets but I live in ARIZONA!!

Syn

Avid Member
It's always either HOT in the morning and FREEZING at night, or some other odd combination of weather. My mother refuses to keep them inside because of chirping (we live in a small house so you can hear them no matter where you keep them) so the only place we can think of is in the shed.

In the summer time the shed can get VERY hot. Think of it as a huge metal soda can that you stuck in your car that one hot summer and it exploded everywhere. ;)

Around here the weather can be 120 degrees in the afternoon and 40 degrees at night.

I've tried looking for a thread similar to my situation but I honestly don't see anything that has dramatically changing weather situations.

If I missed it, please point me in that direction!

-Syn

Roaches are a BIG no-no with my mom. Not only that but my cham is 4-5 months size-wise... not sure if they sell them that small?

Roaches are a BIG no-no with my mom. Not only that but my cham is 4-5 months size-wise... not sure if they sell them that small?

you n me both. i want some soooo bad, but she thinks im insane. lol. i now use superworms which are the easiest things in the world.

Same here, except I'm not so big on the touching the roaches part... yuck.

Aren't supers just big mealworms?

mealworms are completely diff heres their scientific name (dont mind spelling) tenbrio molitor

superworm: zophobos morio

Supers are not big mealworms.

If its the chirping that bothers your mother, perhaps you could just buy a few crickets at a time and cut the wings off the males so they cant make noise?

Assumign crickets and roaches are impossible, You could use a combination of superworms (gutloaded), silkworms, hornworms, and occasionally isopods (gutloaded). You need a little chinton (supers and isopods) but not too much, so balance between the soft bodied feeders and crunchy ones is important.

You're going to need some variety of feeders for your chameleon. If your mother doesnt like bugs, and you live with your mother, a chameleon is not something you should own.

She doesn't mind going to petsmart and buying a couple dozen crickets at a time, I was just looking for a way to keep them outside so we could have a couple hundred at a time.

(the reason for her not wanting roaches is because our ex-neighbor had a ton of hamsters and the food she gave them had cockroach eggs etc. in them. She doesn't want another infestation after just getting rid of them a few months ago ahhah)

Oh and he doesn't like silkworms.. and I'm trying to get some hornworms from GBugs. :)

edit: are hornworms suitable for an (estimated) 4-5 month old cham?

Well maybe one of these days I can talk my mom into letting me get roaches - yuck. :p

i just find them off the ground, and put em in a container as an occasional treat. first i gutload them

Not everyone has a garage, but that was a good idea. Sand MIGHT be okay but.. eh, it still gets hot.

Back
Top Bottom