I think she’s dying please help

gemini2fly

I currently own a female veiled cameleon purchased the end of September, she was told to be a week old when i bought her. She is in a 18 L x 12 W x 20 H screened habitat cage under a UVB light & basking light 12 hours during the day, 12 hours off at night temperatures in my house do not drop below 60 degrees. She hasn’t been eating enough since I’ve got her according to the research I’ve done on veiled, maybe one or two crickets daily, sometimes she skips a day. I used to dust them with calcium she didn’t want them if they was dusted, so for the past two weeks i haven’t dusted her crickets before feeding her. She drinks normal and is sprayed several times daily. Within the past two days she has just seemed weak, non alert and eyes tend to stay low. In the past two days she has also been tending to sleep during the day some. I can’t lose her, nor does the state I live in have a vet for reptiles, so I’m asking for advice on what I can do to help her.

I wish breeders would stop selling chameleons that are too young. Mine are cared for by me until they are eating 1/4" crickets for at least 2 weeks.
My heart goes out to you gemini2fly.

I wish breeders would stop selling chameleons that are too young. Mine are cared for by me until they are eating 1/4" crickets for at least 2 weeks.
My heart goes out to you gemini2fly.

That’s where I think I made my first mistake I bought her from a pet store but they had her shipped there so I’m not exactly sure if she came from a breeder or not but if something happens to her I will purchase a new one from a breeder, but do you have any advice on what I should do as of now. I don’t want her to die.

Attachments

• 333A69DD-E161-4083-AED2-393B150D7FD3.jpeg
    333A69DD-E161-4083-AED2-393B150D7FD3.jpeg
    468.8 KB · Views: 252

These are the best pictures I have on my phone of her cage

Attachments

• CE379F6F-661E-407A-B87E-BE8D0A9C9681.jpeg
    CE379F6F-661E-407A-B87E-BE8D0A9C9681.jpeg
    318.7 KB · Views: 202
  • B7479E4C-CCB5-4F7E-80A7-B5576E86B9E3.jpeg
    B7479E4C-CCB5-4F7E-80A7-B5576E86B9E3.jpeg
    337.8 KB · Views: 216
I have a regular 15 watt light bulb & it gets as hot as 100 degrees Fahrenheit max, because on here i was told female veiled don’t require basking lights as much as males.
100 degrees?!?!?! That is WAY too hot!!!! Who told you they don't require as much basking as males, that should be at the low 80s!!!! Are you sure you have a 15 watt light bulb?

100 degrees?!?!?! That is WAY too hot!!!! Who told you they don't require as much basking as males, that should be at the low 80s!!!! Are you sure you have a 15 watt light bulb?

Yes like a regular home bulb. I have the digital thermometer reader directly underneath my double light holder so that just might be the temperature from right exactly under the holder, she lays 68 inches below the light.

Her tail looks pretty thin at its base and I noticed your cage is nearly devoid of foliage. Possibly very dehydrated. I think unusual hanging habits are evidence of health/habitat issues.

Her tail looks pretty thin at its base and I noticed your cage is nearly devoid of foliage. Possibly very dehydrated. I think unusual hanging habits are evidence of health/habitat issues.
The temp probably evaporates the water and sends the humidity out way too fast.

Foliage, especially a pothos seems needed. Don’t just need to have places to drink from, but also, leaves to trap/contain water. They’ll either drink it or it’ll help with humidity, and improve comfort/reduce stress (foliage is great for everything imo).

Back
Top Bottom