I think my panther may have a respiratory infection

TRA

Hi, I think my panther cham may have a respiratory infection. While he does not exhibit any cracking, popping, or purring when he breathes, he has been lethargic, not eating, has been drinking, and most recently he has been holding his mouth open (not constantly, every now and then) regardless of where he is in the temperature gradient. Now that he is displaying this behavior, I can also identify that he has multiple strands of saliva in his mouth when he opens. These symptoms began when I was waiting for a screen cage and I was keeping him in a glass aquarium. Please, please tell me if these are consistent with a RI as soon as possible, I am able to go to the vet tomorrow!

Cage Info:

* Cage Type - Screen (18x18x36)
* Lighting - UVB (Linear ZooMed 5.0) and a 75 watt incandescent bulb
* Temperature - Basking - 87, Lowest -75
* Humidity - 40% humidity
* Plants - Fake plants
* Location - top of cage 48" from ground

Chameleon Info:

* Your Chameleon - Panther, Male, 9 months
* Handling - Not often
* Feeding - Crickets, gut loaded with commercial gutload.
* Supplements - Reptivite every few feedings
* Watering - Mist 2-3 times a day
* Fecal Description - N/A
* History - N/A
* Current Problem - Concerned about RI.

Hey TRA sorry to hear about your problem.

Check out this thread. It should have all the info you need. I just had to deal with the same thing.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/possible-uri-ambanja-female-21323/

Edit : I should mention a number of things can cause the symptoms you are seeing. But a vet visit is your best bet.

Could you mention anything specific? After seeing your thread, I can see that her case differs a lot from mine (Yours eats and drinks normally, mine does not, lack of cough etc.) which leads me to believe that this may not be a respiratory infection.

Could you mention anything specific? After seeing your thread, I can see that her case differs a lot from mine (Yours eats and drinks normally, mine does not, lack of cough etc.) which leads me to believe that this may not be a respiratory infection.

Sorry I meant to mention

Mine did not show those symptoms until I noticed and took her to the vet.
I would think you caught yours in an earlier stage. She did not cough until the mucus built up enough to cause that.

It could be anything , from a cricket leg in the throat, a URI, or even pneumonia. A vet will be able to tell you best. Either way the mucus needs to be cleaned out and maybe an antibiotic.

Sorry I meant to mention

Mine did not show those symptoms until I noticed and took her to the vet.
I would think you caught yours in an earlier stage. She did not cough until the mucus built up enough to cause that.

It could be anything , from a cricket leg in the throat, a URI, or even pneumonia. A vet will be able to tell you best. Either way the mucus needs to be cleaned out and maybe an antibiotic.

Thank you, I will take him to the vet tomorrow.

Just got back from the vet, turns out to be MBD. I have been given ox bow carnivore care to force feed and calcium glubionate syrup.

It sounds like he is dehydrated a bit. Many times stringy saliva is a symptom of being slightly dehydrated. What is your watering schedule like?

-chris

Back
Top Bottom