I sent an email to Z Med

I have been here on the forums since November. I still consider myself a Newbie. I will tell you that for us regulars even me who see the kit. yes, it is a trigger. But more over it is the fact that only maybe 25% of the new keepers are willing to replace the items they already purchased. IME this is what I have seen. This makes us regulars less inclined to jump in and try to help because we get tired of getting slapped in the face for trying. It is truly a double edged situation. While we have to remind ourselves that this newbie may end up being the 1 out of 10 that renews our hope and fuels us to help others.

We still can only help so much. We can not hand hold. Someone has to be able to take the information and apply it. They have to be open to looking at all resources and learning. Even when we give links to resources to further ones knowledge they tend to not get utilized all the time either.

While I did buy the incorrect item and new nothing coming in to this hobby... I did not wait. I instantly used a credit card to purchase absolutely everything. Waiting in this hobby gives you sick chams as well. They are too delicate to take the time to save up for the right stuff. I also instantly starting lurking reading everything I could in the forum. Buying books and listening to podcasts. This is important because if someone is not willing to learn fully then this is not an animal they should have. You have to seek out the information. It does not come served on a plate.

I go by the motto "if it may save a vet trip, im buying/rebuying it". There is no way one missboughten item cost more than "just to get through the door" vet trip.

Its how i convinced myself to spend over $100 on a misting system :)

I think it's great that you are trying to make a difference. I have my doubts that it is geared toward juvenile chameleons just because there is a big beautiful Ambilobe in the cage on the box. But definitely worth a try. I think Matt is correct though, if every chameleon owner wrote a letter it may have an effect.
Good for you.

What's the address you sent the letter to. Maybe I'll get one out myself. Screenshot_20190614-161627_Chrome.jpg

Ok so good news, It’s already been sent up the food chain. The company is being responsive (yay baby steps) so far. They seem positive.
If you want to be involved pm me your name, email, and relevant info (other online communities or groups, breeder/association name, if you are a vet, how many chameleon you have owned, social media) and I’ll send a list of people that are interested is helping if they decide to make changes. Or just write individually through the site provided email form on their website.

That is interesting. How are best practices with plants and foliage going to impact lighting? And most importantly, how would you feel they could better clarify that kit is not for adult chameleons and indicate what needs to be bought by a starter keeper with a non juvenile. obviously a bigger enclosure would call for the tube uvb as well.
If you are able to get technical and write based on referencing the same research then write and send it.
I’m out of my depths here... still in the kiddie pool, so it’s up to you guys who know more to to get your geek on. According to what I’ve noticed on these forums their research has flaws and the most obvious reasons to me are lack of obstructing foliage and that the scale of the entire kit is off.

Heard back.
They are standing behind their own research on lighting, No real interest in changing the box,
I think they would love to hear from as many people as possible though.
They didn’t say that I’m just assuming they would.
Here is what the contact said:
Thanks for reaching out to us about this, I would be glad to help shed some light on our Chameleon Kit. We know that chameleons are an arboreal species that in the wild are exposed to Ferguson Zone 1-3 UV index (depending on the species, source material attached). You’re right that in a large type enclosure a tube light (either T8 or T5) would be suitable for providing them with these levels of UVI exposure. In the medium sized reptibreeze that is included in the kit however, even if we were to include the very lowest output linear tube light that we make (5.0 T8), that would still mean that the entire 16” tall enclosure would be bathed in UVB. If a linear tube UVB light were provided over a medium Reptibreeze then they would have nowhere to go to regulate their exposure, and it is always advised to provide a UVB gradient to allow them to retreat from their UVB source like they would in the wild.

Regarding the lighting options that are included, the 5.0 mini compact fluorescent bulb is an appropriate choice based on the size of the enclosure provided. I’ve attached a link to the UVI output for each of our bulbs and as you can see the 5.0 mini compact bulb allows your pet to safely expose themselves 3-10 inches away from the bulb. We are always glad to hear this kind of feedback and explaining our kit choices is something we’re always glad to share.

I agree that other equipment is needed for complete chameleon care, and while it’s hard to fit all of that information on the box (as you know there is a lot to cover!) we did include that information in the instructions where we recommend either a fogger or automatic misting unit, or even a hand pump mister. We also recommend climbing décor including branches, vines, artificial (or live) plants to provide a drinking surface, and so on. There is such a broad variety of chameleons being kept in captivity now that providing equipment for all species is definitely a challenge, but our goal is to cover as many bases as possible and provide UVI output information so the consumer can verify what the included bulb is able to provide and make adjustments from there should their pet have slightly different needs. We do appreciate your feedback and are always striving to make our products more user friendly, by sharing as much information as possible our goal is to have pets that are able to thrive. If you have any further questions please let us know!

(The attached article by Dr. Baines et al is a great read by the way, definitely share it with your chameleon forum pals as it has very useful information in the last few pages including a species index with specific ferguson zones that they were observed basking in the wild. It’s a very useful resource!)

https://zoomed.com/wp-content/uploads/Choosing-Correct-UVB-Lamp-2018-07.pdf

Last edited:
Heard back.
They are standing behind their own research on lighting, No real interest in changing the box,
I think they would love to hear from as many people as possible though.
They didn’t say that I’m just assuming they would.
Here is what the contact said:
Why would they need to change it people are buying it?!

Back
Top Bottom