I need help on my guy.

KnK

So I’ve came on here a few times asking different questions. My is currently acting like he wants to run out his cage. Not sure because he’s been adjusted now and has the courage to do so. He would run away and hide but now anymore. I just need to make sure I’m not missing anything. I did a lot of adjustments and not sure if I’m missing anything.

Sorry I’m late responding. This is him right now.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 41
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 35
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 40
is he sleeping during the day in one of those pics? if your only concern is him pacing his enclosure you can and probably should get him a larger one as he has most likely out grown his current cage, besides that it's mating habits which could play a role in his relentless search now that hes sexually mature, as long as all of your parameters are up to par ie heat and water he's most likely just seeking a mate. For now you can rearrange his enclosure until you get him a larger one to explore. rearranging can make them think they've established a new territory. What is your watering/ lights schedule and basking/ambient/ day and night Temps, Feeding schedule and variety?

is he sleeping during the day in one of those pics? if your only concern is him pacing his enclosure you can and probably should get him a larger one as he has most likely out grown his current cage, besides that it's mating habits which could play a role in his relentless search now that hes sexually mature, as long as all of your parameters are up to par ie heat and water he's most likely just seeking a mate. For now you can rearrange his enclosure until you get him a larger one to explore. rearranging can make them think they've established a new territory. What is your watering/ lights schedule and basking/ambient/ day and night Temps, Feeding schedule and variety?
Well he did just start the whole climbing everywhere in his enclosure like 3 days ago today. He moves around then eventually stops and stays in one place. The enclosure we got is 24x24x48 and he just got in the enclosure like a month and half ago. Also, that one big plant that’s in the middle wee just out that one in Saturday. The picture you see with his eye closed that was like 10 minutes before lights were out so he was asleep. Since we got him though he’s always seem to have an eye shut but soon as I go up to him he does open back up I don’t know it’s on and off but it’s not all the time. I live in Florida and getting his misting and humidity right as been a bit of struggle.
I had stop for awhile because humidity was up during the day but it also seem to do that when it rain. But I just got a dehumidifier today so that should definitely level everything out during the day.

Morning mist 8am then lights on at 830
We use the dripper through out the day.
Night time lights are off at 830pm and 9pm I mist for 4 minutes. Also I just got a humidifier yesterday (haven’t set that up yet). But through the night I let the mister go off at 12am for 2 minutes. Then another mist at 3am for like a minute and at 5am 30 seconds then another one at 8am for 2:30min. ( I no I’m literally all over the place).

Lights
Reptisun 22 inch bulb T5 5.0 and 24inch fixture
Basking light 65W
Then I also have a LED light for the plants.

Humidity level during the day we sit at up top like 45 and down below is like 50 to 55. Night humidity I’m sitting at 68 it’s been a struggle at night.

Feeding schedule I try to feed him between 11-2 no later then 2pm. I’m starting to think I need to start early though.
Feeders we have discoid roaches which he’s been acting picky about, crickets, BSFL (not the actual fly) trying to get silk worms that don’t cost a arm and a leg. Horn worms and supper worms here and there.

Sounds like you've done your research 👍 Is he wild caught, are veiled chameleons prevalent in the wild in the part of florida you live in? seems like alot of water going into the enclosure but I mist heavy on my outdoor screen cages also, my indoor(winter) glass enclosures get alot less. If you've just rearranged his cage and added new plants he may be adjusting. I've had Veileds that would close one eye from time to time, I adjusted watering, temps and times figuring he either needed to clean his eyes or wasn't getting good enough sleep. I set my timers on my led lights to 30 minutes before sunrise, then the uvb comes on 45 minutes after sunrise, basking comes on 1 hr after sunrise, they turn off in a similar fashion for night fall/ sun set. Winter time here in California I run them based on Sanna/Yemen winter daylight hours wich is between 11 and 12 hrs. Veileds being an invasive species to Florida I'm sure you could base your schedule on your local sunrise/sunset.

Sounds like you've done your research 👍 Is he wild caught, are veiled chameleons prevalent in the wild in the part of florida you live in? seems like alot of water going into the enclosure but I mist heavy on my outdoor screen cages also, my indoor(winter) glass enclosures get alot less. If you've just rearranged his cage and added new plants he may be adjusting. I've had Veileds that would close one eye from time to time, I adjusted watering, temps and times figuring he either needed to clean his eyes or wasn't getting good enough sleep. I set my timers on my led lights to 30 minutes before sunrise, then the uvb comes on 45 minutes after sunrise, basking comes on 1 hr after sunrise, they turn off in a similar fashion for night fall/ sun set. Winter time here in California I run them based on Sanna/Yemen winter daylight hours wich is between 11 and 12 hrs. Veileds being an invasive species to Florida I'm sure you could base your schedule on your local sunrise/sunset.
Ohhh yes definitely did some research and asking a lot of questions. I’m new to this whole thing it’s been a overwhelming experience for sure. Well a family member thought it would be cool to get a chameleon without doing their own research before listening to what pet smart had to say. So we had to start all over (wasn’t prepared at all but manage to get everything done in a month). That being said he was bought at a pet store big mistake for sure. I do have a lot of watering going on. Last night I adjusted everything (which I might do a little more tweaking). I shut lights off at 830pm and did a 4 minute misting at 9pm. Then at mid night (well actually it went off at 1130pm dang timer) I had the humidifier go off for 30 minutes. So at 8am I mist again at 8am for 3 minutes and 830am lights are on. I might change it to 730 mist and lights on at 8am. Only reason I did that because evening time my house doesn’t settle down till about 8 so I didn’t want to disturb him shutting off at 730pm if that makes sense.

Now last night I had a complete scared. I decided to set up the humidifier about 1030pm and I was trying to be quit and it was dark. Next you no my guy fell off the branch. Then he hurry ran up top of the cage hanging and fell down again he did that 4 times in a row. So I finally just left everything alone and he settle down. I’m assuming that happen because I woke him up and scared him in the process of hooking up the humidifier. Today he’s fine and hasn’t fell or anything and so far today he is currently just up and down again. Goes all the way down to the cage and comes back up. He’s hasn’t stop yet to eat just keeps moving around and press up against the basking light. So idk what the hell he got going on. Oh I also have the left side and bad side cover with a shower curtain but I’m debating if I should do the right side? His humidity level right now is 36 up top and 37 mid way. Last night I didn’t even get a chance to look at the humidity level because after falling 4 times he had me nervous as hell.

If you’re using a humidifier/ fogger, make sure your temps are 67 or below. If you fog your guy with temps above that he could get a respiratory infection. Chameleons need a night time drop in temperature, it helps them sleep deeper.

I only fog at night for a 2 hours after sunset and 2 hrs before sunrise, the mister kicking on in the middle of the night may startle or wake him. I set misters to go off in the morning for 60 seconds 15 minutes after sunrise to give a chance to drink, I'll manually override my timers once a week or so to give a 2 or 3 minute rain shower depending on how dry the enclosure is. my outdoor screen cages on the other hand get a 5 minute mist every morning and three 2 minute mists at 1pm, 3pm and 5pm just cause it gets so hot here in California during the summer months and I don't fog my out door set up mother nature takes care of night time humidity, that and my lawn sprinklers lol I purposely set them to go off at 10pm and 5am.

Back
Top Bottom