i need help i have a veiled chameleon that acting funny

karma needs help

okay so my chameleon is about 3/4 months old she was eating 30 crickets a day we tryed to change it up and feed her wax worms she ate them and after that she started not wanting to eat alot any more she eats maybe 15 crickets a day now she is now hissing and turning black everytime i get close to the cage or anyone for that matter when i open the cage and put my hand in she starts lugging at me hissing and turns black she never use to be this way i dont no what to do this is my first chameleon so idk what to do she use to be bright green all the time but she has change in the past two weeks i would post pics of her but idk how to do it sorry for the short request i didnt no if anyone could see it

Last edited:
pictures of karma

IMG_0138.jpg
IMG_0144.jpg
when shes happy and when i open the cage

Last edited:
Sorry you're having trouble with your chameleon.

To post pictures, you can upload them by clicking on the paperclip button on the Reply to Thread screen. It'll pop up an uploading screen, you pick the pictures you want to upload, one at a time, and after they upload you click on the paper clip again to manage attachments.

If that doesn't work you can post a link to a photobucket (or similar site) account with your pics on it.

I see your pics. :)

It will help other folks try to help you if you fill out the how to ask for help form. That way they can try to figure out what's going on. If you copy and paste it into your next post, with the answers to the questions, it'll help a lot.

Help form:

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

Pictures are helpful

info

temp in cage now is . 80
humidity levels is between 75 degrees and 90 degrees day and night it all depends but it never drops below that
and nothing has changed
is it to early for lay eggs idk about that at all i have everything in her cage now in-case she does

Last edited:
info

temp in cage now is . 80
humidity levels is between 75 degrees and 90 degrees day and night it all depends but it never drops below that
and nothing has changed
is it to early for lay eggs idk about that at all i have everything in her cage now in-case she does

man, ive never seen a chameleon go black like that no matter how angry mine have been. she must really be annoyed with whatever youre doing. there might be something in the room or maybe its what youre wearing. she really needs to be left alone and needs some quiet time to relax for a while. it seems like youre really over feeding her too. 30 crickets a day??? thats amazing that she eats that much, mine get 10-15 every other day. also, when people ask for you to answer the "how to ask for help" they really need everything answered to give proper insight, you cant just give the bare minimum info and expect a very good answer. if you take the time then others will too. just some friendly advice.

thanks

sorry i didnt no what i was doing this is my first i cant just no everything lol nothing has changed what so ever . 30 crickets was normal for her i thought shes not fat or anything she looks healthy i am at a loss i wasnt sure why she was black should i put her on a diet

karmas info

Your Chameleon - karma is 3/4 months old she is a veiled chameleon
Handling - twice a day for feeding / handling time 1/2 hour each time
Feeding - 30 cricket at first now 10 to 15 a day i take her out to feed her.
Supplements - crickets dusted in rep-cal calcium with vit.d3
Watering - monsoon rs 400 automatic mister once an hour for 1 min
Fecal Description -brown with some white stuff

Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?- no i have never had her tested
History -Got her in Feb from a private breeder

Cage Info: 36 high 24 wide 18 deep
Cage Type -screen
Lighting - uvb bulb and basking light
Temperature - 75 to 90 degrees temps checked daily
Humidity - 50 to 80 it verys
Plants - artificial
Placement -in living room 3ft off the floor
Location -ohio

Current Problem - karma is hissing and turning black lugging at us and eating habits are changing not eating as much .She isn't coming out of the cage on her own anymore to eat

thanks taylor

Last edited:
Still eating and all that I wouldn't worry to much. I would give your Cham a few days by itself. I would stop the d3 and switch to calcium without the d3 for feeding and do a multi vitamin and d3 once a month each. 30 crickets are a lot and maybe it was under weight before and doesn't need as much now. Couldn't really say and haven't been there past few months.just make sure all temps are fine, poops fine and isn't losing weight, and is eating I would say it's just really stressed out. Maybe not handle karma for a week and see if stress levels go down.

thutslar

well we take her out to eat is that okay we were told that feeding her in the cage could make her mean is that true

thanks so much btw for your help

Back
Top Bottom