I need help and suggestions

tatz4ever

I recently purchased a screen cage 18 X 18 X 36. It has been set up for approx 2 1/2 weeks. Yesterday I found the top screen "pushed" into the cage. I own cats and they are the reason. I "fixed" the top only to have it "pushed" in again under the weight of my cat. After I fixed it the first time yesterday, I saw that only one cat was enough weight to break it again. I put it back together again, and this morning it was broken again.
I have seen the cats on the cage before, and chased them off, but why would the top break now? And why would it continue to break after I fixed it?
I am very disappointed and upset. I don't want any harm to come to my Chameleons!
I know that cages are designed to contain our chameleons, but shouldn't they be beefy enough to protect them from outside threats? I can not be the only person who owns both cats and chameleons!
I will be trying to contact the company I bought it from today, to see if they have a remedy. Until I speak to them, I will not say who the cage is from.
Please help if you can! Any advise if appreciated.
(Don't say "Get rid of the cats" , my wife and kids would never allow it! LOL)

James

Having a Cat sitting on top of your Cham cage sounds extremely stressful for your Chameleon. The cat was probably trying to break in to the cage. I say put a bunch of light stuff up there to ward him away and keep the cat away from the Cham!

What about cutting to size and laying a piece of sturdy chicken wire over the top. Your lights still could be placed on the top of that and maybe that would give some more support. Or how about a piece of wood with cutouts for the lighting? I am not going to say get rid of the cats as I am sure you love them too, but I would imagine they are causing undue stress to your chameleon sitting on top of its cage. Probably not a good thing.....

I'm not gonna say to get rid of the cats since you said not to and because I also have other pets so I understand but the cages aren't made to protect them from "outside threats". It's an enclosure for them, to keep them contained so they don't crawl away. The screen also isn't designed to hold that much weight over time. When you say pushed in, do you mean the screen is totally broken or just warped? If the screen is breaking that's very dangerous, your cats could go after the cham!

Most importantly though, it's not good to have the cats on top of the cage. It is very stressful to the chameleon. This over time could have a seriously detrimental effect to the chams health. They're very susceptible to stress related illnesss. Is there any way you can have the chameleon in a room separate from the cats??? I know others who keep their animals in the same room but I have to keep my dog separate because he is a little brat and would be harassing my chameleon all the time.

Also, you said "chameleons." Do you have more than one in the enclosure?

I'm not gonna say to get rid of the cats since you said not to and because I also have other pets so I understand but the cages aren't made to protect them from "outside threats". It's an enclosure for them, to keep them contained so they don't crawl away. The screen also isn't designed to hold that much weight over time. When you say pushed in, do you mean the screen is totally broken or just warped? If the screen is breaking that's very dangerous, your cats could go after the cham!

Most importantly though, the cats and the chameleons should not be in the same room, ESPECIALLY if the cats are climbing ontop of the cage and breaking it. It is very stressful to the chameleon. This over time could have a seriously detrimental effect to the chams health. They're very susceptible to stress related illnesss. Is there any way you can have the chameleon in a room separate from the cats???

Also, you said "chameleons." Do you have more than one in the enclosure?
good advice, but I got a feeling keeping the cats out of the room is not an option or I am guessing he would have rectified the problem already. And also, as dagy said, are you keeping multiple chams in one cage?

Funny thing is, I have never seen the chameleons act stressed with the cats around. They often sit near the cage looking in. The chameleons are "business as usual" with the cats around. I have even witnessed them go over to where the cats are and stay near the cats.
I try to chase the cats away, but that is a losing battle.
Ant idea if the "Pet Proof" screening will hold up under the heat lamp? it is a heavier screen, but appears to be made of a plastic. Not sure if it will melt?
I am so upset by this. If it happens when I am not around, the chameleons ( and crickets) can get out and go wandering. Or worse, the cats could use them as play toys or even a snack!:eek:

Haha, I edited my post before you quoted me, but same general idea. :) I mean, if it's not possible to move the chams and/or cats something should be done to definitely keep them off the top of the cage.

I am assuming the screen is being pushed in, not the metal frame. Home Depot, Lowes and other sells hardware cloth. It is actually a metal screen that is much much stronger than the screen used for the cages. It is made in 1/4 or 1/2 inch squares in the screen. It ciuld be cut to size and placed on top of the cage. More than enough UV and heat lamp rays will still make it to your cham.

if you can build a small wood frame that fits the top of the cage exactly, they sell a 1/4 inch galvanized mesh at home depot that is strong enough to withstand the weight of a cat.
Use a staple gun to affix the wire mesh to the wooden frame and set it ontop of your screen cage. Should only cost around $20 for the whole thing. Use wire cutters or tin snips to trim the wire mesh.

As to the question of multiple chameleons: yes, I have a male and a female Jacksons chameleon in there. I know it is not proper, but I rescued the 2 of them from the same 10 gallon tank. They were so stressed and skinny and near death when I got them. They seem perfectly content in the new cage, unless they decide to crawl on the same vine. Then they pass each other, find a spot and get happy again. The cage has many vines, hanging plants, live plants in bottom. They are both in great color and good weight again. They eat fine, poop fine, and act fine otherwise.
Seperating cage from cats will not work. The cats have free roam, and I have no where to "close in" the cage.
By "pushed in" I mean that the spline that is holding the screen is being forced out , in the back left corner. this allows the screen in that corner, and along the left and back lengths to fall into the cage. I hope that made sense.

Last edited:
Any ideas on the "pet proof" screen? Will it melt? I am also going to look for a larger diameter spline to secure it in.
I use this pet proof screen on my deck door and it keeps my 70 pound dog on the deck, it even stopped a raccoon that was trying hard to come in, I assume it will withstand the weight of the cat with proper spline.

Any ideas on the "pet proof" screen? Will it melt? I am also going to look for a larger diameter spline to secure it in.
I use this pet proof screen on my deck door and it keeps my 70 pound dog on the deck, it even stopped a raccoon that was trying hard to come in, I assume it will withstand the weight of the cat with proper spline.

It will melt if you have a light bulb sitting on it. Petscreen is PVC coated nylon. Are you using a clamp light? If you can raise the bulb up over the cage so that it does not ever touch the petscreen it should work. Petscreen does not let in as much light as aluminum screen so that is a concern for UVB exposure. I still think the 1/4" wire mesh is the way to go if you are trying to keep the weight of a cat from pushing in the top of your cage. The petscreen is strong enough but the spline might be where it fails.

It will melt if you have a light bulb sitting on it. Petscreen is PVC coated nylon. Are you using a clamp light? If you can raise the bulb up over the cage so that it does not ever touch the petscreen it should work. Petscreen does not let in as much light as aluminum screen so that is a concern for UVB exposure. I still think the 1/4" wire mesh is the way to go if you are trying to keep the weight of a cat from pushing in the top of your cage. The petscreen is strong enough but the spline might be where it fails.

Thanks! Will 1/4 wire mesh allow any crickets to crawl out of the cage? I have to head to Home Depot to fix this soon.

I would not replace the aluminum screen you already have there. Just build a simple wood frame with 1/4" wire mesh to place ontop of the existing screen cage. Crickets can and will escape through the 1/4" mesh. You could also run a couple of 1/2" wood screws into the wood frame from the underside (inside the cage) to make it a more permanent solution.

Maybe instead of fitting the cage for your cat, try to make it so the cats can't get on top of the cage? I wouldn't even want them up there in case they knock over the lights and break those pricey bulbs, or worse somehow start a fire. And if they manage to somehow get around your solution they would eat your chams in a heartbeat. Maybe put the cage higher, and if you want to build something, build a tall stand for the cage so the top is too high for them jump on it. Probably a good idea to fix the top regardless. If there is something they can use to get high enough to jump on your cage then find a better spot for the cage away from tall furniture. Getting rid of animals for the sake of other animals isn't an option for me so I'd find a better way to have them together. My cages are on a 3 foot stand so my kitten has launched herself at the cage once or twice (squirt bottles are great training aids), but she can't get anywhere near the top.

Maybe instead of fitting the cage for your cat, try to make it so the cats can't get on top of the cage? I wouldn't even want them up there in case they knock over the lights and break those pricey bulbs, or worse somehow start a fire. And if they manage to somehow get around your solution they would eat your chams in a heartbeat. Maybe put the cage higher, and if you want to build something, build a tall stand for the cage so the top is too high for them jump on it. Probably a good idea to fix the top regardless. If there is something they can use to get high enough to jump on your cage then find a better spot for the cage away from tall furniture. Getting rid of animals for the sake of other animals isn't an option for me so I'd find a better way to have them together. My cages are on a 3 foot stand so my kitten has launched herself at the cage once or twice (squirt bottles are great training aids), but she can't get anywhere near the top.

I completely agree with Ferret. I was reading through this thread, and there are a lot of remedies as to fixing the cage, but until I read Ferret's post, none to prevent the cause of the problem in the first place, not to mention the stress it is causing on your chameleons. I would definitely raise the cage quite a bit, and make sure there is nothing around it to allow your cats to climb up there.

I had the top re-screened at a local hardware store. I also inverted the top: the spline now faces the ceiling rather than the bottom of the cage. I am hoping this will add a little more resistance for the spline, that is, it will have to travel up to get out of the channel, rather than straight down. I have the cage up on a makeshift stand. The stand is 3 feet high, cage is 3 feet high. Total of 6 feet from ground to top of cage. Cats are pretty good jumpers. I have a saltwater tank that is 5 foot 1 inch from the floor. My cats get up there in one bound.
I have purchased cage, vines, chameleons, Monsoon mister, live plants, fake plants, lights, ect. I have nursed these chameleons back from deaths door. I will try to build the wood and 1/4 inch mesh additional top. I don't have any more money to put into them at this time. I can not build or buy a higher stand.
I have already discussed with my wife and children that if this fix does not work, I will be selling the chameleons and supplies to a good home. :(
Thanks for all the replies, this board is great and has fantastic knowledge. I am trying my best to take care of my babies.
James

@Tatz: I have had an identical problem with my cat jumping on top of some of my snake enclosures, especially if the snake is active (which peaks his curiosity). He broke my screen maybe 5 times total, but with repeatedly yelling at him, he has since to go up there again. Now he sits besides the tank and watches...but since my tank is lower to the ground this is an option to him. My cat is remarkably bright/follows orders much more so than most cats so I don't know if that is an option....but I guess what I am saying is that with repeated yellings my cat did LEARN not to go up there anymore :p

Back
Top Bottom