I might’ve slightly overestimated on sticks.

Those are some nice branches 🤤 and I’m plant obsessed as well… super jealous of your cabinets! I just got one of those little window green houses from ikea for my carnivorous plants but I’ll probably need one of those bigger cabinets soon 🫠
I LOVE the Milsbo we converted to a greenhouse. I actually have to pop it open on occasion because it'll stay at like ~90% humidity if I don't!

Yeaaaaah, that being said i would propagate the wandering Jew clippings first so they have roots incase you forget to water, they root so easy and mine is next to all the other plants I have to water so hopefully i don’t forget 😂 but I’ve definitely killed more then I’ve kept alive, I honestly think I started doing better once I got Jeb I think the humidity in the room from his enclosure helps and honestly I’ve been trying a lot harder because I’ve waisted a ton of money as well… I think the best soil I’ve found for most of my plants is a mix of the fox farms with some orchid bark and more perlite …. Again no clue just picking up tips and tricks from people that seem to know what they’re doing.
I order the dry soil mix from Oh Happy Plants and mix them myself - saves on shipping! https://ohhappyplants.com/oh-happy-dirt/

This is amazing! Can I chime in a question? We have this cactus type plant, thanksgiving cactus I think, I’ve tried to take cutting and propagate them but I have never gotten them to root! Do you know anything on how to do that 😩 I’ve been struggling for months!
IMG_3817.jpeg

This is amazing! Can I chime in a question? We have this cactus type plant, thanksgiving cactus I think, I’ve tried to take cutting and propagate them but I have never gotten them to root! Do you know anything on how to do that 😩 I’ve been struggling for months!View attachment 352859
With these guys you’ll need to let the cuttings dry out for a couple of days in a dark place before popping them in water! Then pop them in a glass of water with some rocks at the bottom so that only the bottom of the cutting is in water, not the whole thing.

With these guys you’ll need to let the cuttings dry out for a couple of days in a dark place before popping them in water! Then pop them in a glass of water with some rocks at the bottom so that only the bottom of the cutting is in water, not the whole thing.
Oh cool! I have one as well… they are really slow growers 🫠

A quick head's up that the plant community is trying to shift the name of these to inch plant/wandering dude. The original name is connected to a very anti-Semitic myth! https://bloomboxclub.com/blogs/news/why-were-no-longer-using-the-name-wandering-jew

These guys propagate super easily! You'll want to make your cuttings a few inches long. I usually cut below the third or fourth leaf, then I'll pull the bottom leaf off and stick that part of the cutting in water or back into the soil. The remaining leaves at the top will allow it to still photosynthesize.

I'll do a bunch of the cuttings in a cup and stick it in a sunny window, and they grow roots within a week. Then just make a hole in the top of the soil and pop them in when the roots are an inch or two long. Make sure the soil doesn't completely dry out when you've put new props in, as the roots will need moisture to take hold.

Oh - and more props in a cup = more rooting hormone released, so they'll actually grow a bit faster. A plant lady trick is to pop some easy to grow props like these or pothos in with a cutting that's harder to grow - they'll release rooting hormone and help the slower cutting along! I usually switch out water every week or two. You can also buy powdered rooting hormone in the garden section of hardware stores that you dip cuttings in.
Interesting... ok I will not go on a total rant about the name being changed. But I do have an opinion. Keep in mind I never do this in the forum but we are now touching on something that actually impacts me.

I feel like this "woke" world is getting a little out of hand. I am Jewish. My family has ties to the holocaust and the horror of what happened. While there are certain terms that I as a Jewish woman absolutely detest this is not one of them. If you look at Jewish history we were wanderers. I feel like there is nothing wrong with this name and I feel like they might be reaching a little bit with their historical interpretation and now wanting to call it antisemitism. That this now causes them to want to change it. I mean again in history Jewish people have always been persecuted for being Jewish. So yes it has always been a form of antisemitism. However the name is Wandering Jew... Not persecuted Jew. As with many cultures you can not go back in time and change how people were treated just because you change a name or tear down a statue. History is history. We learn from history. It is important to remember and know our past so it is not repeated in the future. Trying to edit our past does nothing for our future generations.

Interesting... ok I will not go on a total rant about the name being changed. But I do have an opinion. Keep in mind I never do this in the forum but we are now touching on something that actually impacts me.

I feel like this "woke" world is getting a little out of hand. I am Jewish. My family has ties to the holocaust and the horror of what happened. While there are certain terms that I as a Jewish woman absolutely detest this is not one of them. If you look at Jewish history we were wanderers. I feel like there is nothing wrong with this name and I feel like they might be reaching a little bit with their historical interpretation and now wanting to call it antisemitism. That this now causes them to want to change it. I mean again in history Jewish people have always been persecuted for being Jewish. So yes it has always been a form of antisemitism. However the name is Wandering Jew... Not persecuted Jew. As with many cultures you can not go back in time and change how people were treated just because you change a name or tear down a statue. History is history. We learn from history. It is important to remember and know our past so it is not repeated in the future. Trying to edit our past does nothing for our future generations.
Thank you for sharing your thoughts on this! I was born and raised in KY, and I have found so many gaps in my knowledge since moving to Seattle. There are things that I heard growing up that were "normal" in KY, that I've since learned can be offensive. I try my best to educate myself as someone who grew up with a limited worldview.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on this! I was born and raised in KY, and I have found so many gaps in my knowledge since moving to Seattle. There are things that I heard growing up that were "normal" in KY, that I've since learned can be offensive. I try my best to educate myself as someone who grew up with a limited worldview.
I appreciate your kindness and understanding with my feedback. I really do not share much like this just due to what I have experienced. But I have always loved that a beautiful plant is called the Wandering Jew. Regardless of what some people may think about the origin of the name. The fact that it is gorgeous and brings joy to others makes me happy and I would hate to see that change.

Now back to cuttings... You said cut like four leaves down and then pull the bottom leaf and put in water. But she has multiple leaves at the top. Do I count those as one leaf and then count down the stem to four? Do I need to add anything special to the water or dump it regularly? I think I do need to root them first since I tend to forget exactly when I watered last. lol

Any advice on spider plants? I am about to repot mine because I think the dirt I used was crappy since she does not seem to be very healthy.

Amen Beman!

Ok @Clementine you obviously know plants... I need advice.. @MissSkittles sent me Wandering Jew cuttings. They were tiny when I got them. This is what they look like now. How do I get this thing to be fuller. Should I cut them and start more cuttings?

View attachment 352854
IMG_6757.jpeg

So I would cut where the blue is. Then pull off the leaf closest to the cut. Then you’ll pop them in water and make sure the part where you pulled off the leaf is under water, but the remaining leaves are out of the water. The plant itself will also grow leaves closer together if you give it more light!

I appreciate your kindness and understanding with my feedback. I really do not share much like this just due to what I have experienced. But I have always loved that a beautiful plant is called the Wandering Jew. Regardless of what some people may think about the origin of the name. The fact that it is gorgeous and brings joy to others makes me happy and I would hate to see that change.

Now back to cuttings... You said cut like four leaves down and then pull the bottom leaf and put in water. But she has multiple leaves at the top. Do I count those as one leaf and then count down the stem to four? Do I need to add anything special to the water or dump it regularly? I think I do need to root them first since I tend to forget exactly when I watered last. lol

Any advice on spider plants? I am about to repot mine because I think the dirt I used was crappy since she does not seem to be very healthy.
I can’t speak too much to spider plants and soil, as I’ve kept mine in water. Sorry!

View attachment 352996
So I would cut where the blue is. Then pull off the leaf closest to the cut. Then you’ll pop them in water and make sure the part where you pulled off the leaf is under water, but the remaining leaves are out of the water. The plant itself will also grow leaves closer together if you give it more light!
Ohhhh I love picture directions! Thank you! I will do this tomorrow. She sits next to the window but Beman hates direct sun when I have the curtains all the way open so she does not get direct sun because I close them to keep my spoiled chameleon happy. Lol

Ah spider plants….. I swear the experience I’ve had is hit or miss with them after repotting. I think you should keep them nice and watered afterword or they will die out. Then again I did not inherit my grandmas green thumb so maybe I just have bad luck with plants 😅

Ah spider plants….. I swear the experience I’ve had is hit or miss with them after repotting. I think you should keep them nice and watered afterword or they will die out. Then again I did not inherit my grandmas green thumb so maybe I just have bad luck with plants 😅
This one hates me... I got it to put in with Beman... It started to die off within 2 weeks so I pulled it thinking that would be better and it has not done well in the 6 months its been out of the cage.

Back
Top Bottom