I might’ve slightly overestimated on sticks.

Clementine

On the plus side, they can go in the adult enclosure. 🤣

(Ft. a scrub sponge that has been through it, but is still smiling)

IMG_6750.jpeg

Those are some nice branches 🤤 and I’m plant obsessed as well… super jealous of your cabinets! I just got one of those little window green houses from ikea for my carnivorous plants but I’ll probably need one of those bigger cabinets soon 🫠

Ok @Clementine you obviously know plants... I need advice.. @MissSkittles sent me Wandering Jew cuttings. They were tiny when I got them. This is what they look like now. How do I get this thing to be fuller. Should I cut them and start more cuttings?

IMG_8713.jpeg

I just did that very thing today, I know you weren’t asking me but literally just today, I cut some of the length off of the real leggy ones and poked holes in the soil with a skewer and added them bad into her bald head!

I just did that very thing today, I know you weren’t asking me but literally just today, I cut some of the length off of the real leggy ones and poked holes in the soil with a skewer and added them bad into her bald head!
And that works? I can not kill my gift from Vikki ya know... I almost lost my satin pothos cuttings but they survived my stupidity.

Well I’ll be honest I’ve never done it before but I saw this as a method on a successful plant keepers instagram page… I’d wait for @Clementine to chime in … after all I’m just kinda winging it like you 😅
My pour satin pothos cuttings she sent were not quite ready with roots... But I thought heck I can plant it. Then I forgot to water the plant for 2 weeks. Yeah... She started to die. She was not used to my abuse. Meanwhile I thought I was doing so good replanting my mass cane. Bought her this beautiful new ceramic pot... $28 bucks for this overpriced thing. Welp she lost 2 of her stalks and now the last one is dying off. So apparently I killed her and wasted $28 on a fancy ceramic pot and $15 on stupid fancy dirt with supposedly lower risk of gnats. I feel like I got played a bit on the dirt. Cause I got the gnats anyways.

My pour satin pothos cuttings she sent were not quite ready with roots... But I thought heck I can plant it. Then I forgot to water the plant for 2 weeks. Yeah... She started to die. She was not used to my abuse. Meanwhile I thought I was doing so good replanting my mass cane. Bought her this beautiful new ceramic pot... $28 bucks for this overpriced thing. Welp she lost 2 of her stalks and now the last one is dying off. So apparently I killed her and wasted $28 on a fancy ceramic pot and $15 on stupid fancy dirt with supposedly lower risk of gnats. I feel like I got played a bit on the dirt. Cause I got the gnats anyways.
Yeaaaaah, that being said i would propagate the wandering Jew clippings first so they have roots incase you forget to water, they root so easy and mine is next to all the other plants I have to water so hopefully i don’t forget 😂 but I’ve definitely killed more then I’ve kept alive, I honestly think I started doing better once I got Jeb I think the humidity in the room from his enclosure helps and honestly I’ve been trying a lot harder because I’ve waisted a ton of money as well… I think the best soil I’ve found for most of my plants is a mix of the fox farms with some orchid bark and more perlite …. Again no clue just picking up tips and tricks from people that seem to know what they’re doing.

Yeaaaaah, that being said i would propagate the wandering Jew clippings first so they have roots incase you forget to water, they root so easy and mine is next to all the other plants I have to water so hopefully i don’t forget 😂 but I’ve definitely killed more then I’ve kept alive, I honestly think I started doing better once I got Jeb I think the humidity in the room from his enclosure helps and honestly I’ve been trying a lot harder because I’ve waisted a ton of money as well… I think the best soil I’ve found for most of my plants is a mix of the fox farms with some orchid bark and more perlite …. Again no clue just picking up tips and tricks from people that seem to know what they’re doing.
Yeah I actually mixed 3 different types. Dirt stuff with stuff, orchid bark, and some sort of volcanic rock stuff. I dunno. Apparently it is good to have other junk in there so they breathe or something. I dunno. I do much better with chams then plants. :hilarious: Maybe never ask me for plant help just cham help :LOL:

Ok @Clementine you obviously know plants... I need advice.. @MissSkittles sent me Wandering Jew cuttings. They were tiny when I got them. This is what they look like now. How do I get this thing to be fuller. Should I cut them and start more cuttings?

View attachment 352854
A quick head's up that the plant community is trying to shift the name of these to inch plant/wandering dude. The original name is connected to a very anti-Semitic myth! https://bloomboxclub.com/blogs/news/why-were-no-longer-using-the-name-wandering-jew

These guys propagate super easily! You'll want to make your cuttings a few inches long. I usually cut below the third or fourth leaf, then I'll pull the bottom leaf off and stick that part of the cutting in water or back into the soil. The remaining leaves at the top will allow it to still photosynthesize.

I'll do a bunch of the cuttings in a cup and stick it in a sunny window, and they grow roots within a week. Then just make a hole in the top of the soil and pop them in when the roots are an inch or two long. Make sure the soil doesn't completely dry out when you've put new props in, as the roots will need moisture to take hold.

Oh - and more props in a cup = more rooting hormone released, so they'll actually grow a bit faster. A plant lady trick is to pop some easy to grow props like these or pothos in with a cutting that's harder to grow - they'll release rooting hormone and help the slower cutting along! I usually switch out water every week or two. You can also buy powdered rooting hormone in the garden section of hardware stores that you dip cuttings in.

Back
Top Bottom