I made my cham a cowboy hat.

I guess if it just for a photo op, it MIGHT not be the end of the world and it would totally depend on the cham. I can't imagine them liking it too much though. My Chams would bite for sure. The only one that would tolerate it would be the little veiled girl I got from Jann. I never would have ever believed it in a million years, but that little girl would much rather be riding around on somebody's head than be in her cage.
It’s all the way they are raised . I could put a hat in phoebe , or Septiseye , They would care less . Frances would be pissed and rip it up . I’m also part of the click that handles chameleon’s , and would put a hat on them . I’m happy to be unconventional . Maybe that makes me a s*** owner Ok fine !!!!.

Last edited:
So before this gets out of hand, I would caution those who do not have a lot of experience to know what stress looks like in chameleons NOT to do this. Chameleons do hide stress very well for the most part and we as humans often "humanize" their actions and justify their behavior to what we want to see. I am not attacking anyone here, just pointing out something we are all guilty of to some degree. As for putting a hat on a chameleon for a photo shoot, it will likely not have any ill effects on the animal if it isn't done in a limited fashion. Some chameleons are definitely used to more socialization due to the way they are kept and may not have any stress at all from this, but I couldn't say for sure.

For those who are keeping these amazing animals in the most natural environments possible, I have no issue with your view. For those who keep them as members of the family (I'm kinda guilty of this) I would just caution you to be careful of the signs of stress. Keep an open mind and make sure to do what is best for your chameleon. Everyone loves a great picture, but we don't want to suggest that all chameleons are willing participants in the photo op ;).

And yes, my Zaphod would have chewed your arm off before you got a hat on him, but he had such a big casque that it wouldn't have fit anyway :LOL::ROFLMAO:!

So before this gets out of hand, I would caution those who do not have a lot of experience to know what stress looks like in chameleons NOT to do this. Chameleons do hide stress very well for the most part and we as humans often "humanize" their actions and justify their behavior to what we want to see. I am not attacking anyone here, just pointing out something we are all guilty of to some degree. As for putting a hat on a chameleon for a photo shoot, it will likely not have any ill effects on the animal if it isn't done in a limited fashion. Some chameleons are definitely used to more socialization due to the way they are kept and may not have any stress at all from this, but I couldn't say for sure.

For those who are keeping these amazing animals in the most natural environments possible, I have no issue with your view. For those who keep them as members of the family (I'm kinda guilty of this) I would just caution you to be careful of the signs of stress. Keep an open mind and make sure to do what is best for your chameleon. Everyone loves a great picture, but we don't want to suggest that all chameleons are willing participants in the photo op ;).

And yes, my Zaphod would have chewed your arm off before you got a hat on him, but he had such a big casque that it wouldn't have fit anyway :LOL::ROFLMAO:!
I really would hope @Decadancin that you are not referring to me not knowing what a stressed chameleon looks like . I may not have 20 years of experience , I most certainly know a stressed Chameleon or sick . Theirs other keepers on this thread That may be unconventional but are amazing Keepers and know a stressed chameleon. It’s sad how if one does not fallow suit they are attacked . Happens much too often on this site . Good reason not to be on here .

I really would hope @Decadancin that you are not referring to me not knowing what a stressed chameleon looks like . I may not have 20 years of experience , I most certainly know a stressed Chameleon or sick . Theirs other keepers on this thread That may be unconventional but are amazing Keepers and know a stressed chameleon. It’s sad how if one does not fallow suit they are attacked . Happens much too often on this site . Good reason not to be on here .

People that do notice may set a bad example for people that don't of think they do but don't... In any case it's better to avoid stress than provoke it and wait until you will or will not notice the signs, but that's just my 2cents.

It's also no matter of being a bad owner or being bad at your husbandry, it's a matter of what people find acceptable.

I wouldn't want to encourage people to dress up their chameleon even if mine would put on the hat himself, but again that's my opinion.

People that do notice may set a bad example for people that don't of think they do but don't... In any case it's better to avoid stress than provoke it and wait until you will or will not notice the signs, but that's just my 2cents.

It's also no matter of being a bad owner or being bad at your husbandry, it's a matter of what people find acceptable.

I wouldn't want to encourage people to dress up their chameleon even if mine would put on the hat himself, but again that's my opinion.
:love: I’m not going to respond to this because I like you . I will pm you later . I got babies to take care of now .

You don't have to honor it with a reply or a pm, it won't change my opinion and I'm not out to change yours.
Better agree to disagree imo.
Rem when would I ever try and change your mind :D . I know where you stand and you know where I do . Anyhow I don’t want to get this thread off track.

I don’t believe that most chameleons will be stress to have a hat on for a photo shoot. If the chameleon doesn’t mind putting the hat on then I believe it’s fine to take a few pictures. If he’s running away or angry and hissing then by all means don’t continue to put a hat or anything else on him. There’s many of us that treat our chameleons as family members, with much love and respect. Others treat them as animals or even worse. I wouldn’t dare put my chameleons in a cage because they do not like being caged animals and it stresses them out and they would become angry and hissy. I am open minded enough though not to critique keepers that believe they should be cages because I understand that some keepers have other pets and kids and it’s not safe to keep a chameleon free range. Personally, I wouldn’t have a chameleon if I had to cage it all the time. Chameleons that are truly loved and respected are very social and they are members of the family.

I don’t believe that most chameleons will be stress to have a hat on for a photo shoot. If the chameleon doesn’t mind putting the hat on then I believe it’s fine to take a few pictures. If he’s running away or angry and hissing then by all means don’t continue to put a hat or anything else on him. There’s many of us that treat our chameleons as family members, with much love and respect. Others treat them as animals or even worse. I wouldn’t dare put my chameleons in a cage because they do not like being caged animals and it stresses them out and they would become angry and hissy. I am open minded enough though not to critique keepers that believe they should be cages because I understand that some keepers have other pets and kids and it’s not safe to keep a chameleon free range. Personally, I wouldn’t have a chameleon if I had to cage it all the time. Chameleons that are truly loved and respected are very social and they are members of the family.
aww! that sounds so sweet! i treat Leon as a member of the family too, i love to read these types of things and hearing about chams being treated so sweetly!

Nope, not directed at you at all. There is no actual experience level to necessarily know what is stressing out a chameleon. I'm not claiming to know myself. I can say I have experience, but that doesn't mean I do everything correctly. I am always learning. This was truly a generic response to this discussion. Please do not take this as directed at any one person here.

Also, there are similar "attacks" on most sites I have seen. It is how they are managed that makes for a good arena. I hope I help minimize those situations, and hope not to add to them. I do my best and unfortunately the written word can often be misunderstood. Sorry if you thought this was directed at you, but I never truly know when to add the disclaimer "...this isn't directed at anyone imparticular..."

It is unethical and most groups would frown on this as improper husbandry.

I’ve been keeping veileds for a long time and most don’t seem to mind wearing a hat.

Aww so cute !

I got the idea from one of Jann’s posts where she put a birthday hat on her cham for its birthday. I don’t really see the problem.

Omg:love::LOL::ROFLMAO:this is what I live to see!!

only for human amusement.

chameleons are not “pets”, they’re display animals.

All I can say is lighten up everybody. It does no harm for a photo shot....lets try to stay calm. Petty arguments don't look good on the forum either

So, I wonder if these quotes would have a similar reaction on any other serious sites for the care and understanding of chameleons. The worry I have is that some who spend a ton of time watching cute Cat videos on YouTube will want to get the next viral video about chameleons like the Valspar commercial. Consider all audiences. I think all sides of this debate have valid views, but there is a definite danger present.

@Kristen Wilkins , I just re-read my post, and I'm sorry, but I don't see how you thought I meant you, but I apologize for this, because I had no intention to do so.
" I am not attacking anyone here, just pointing out something we are all guilty of to some degree."
" For those who keep them as members of the family (I'm kinda guilty of this) I would just caution you to be careful of the signs of stress."

@Kristen Wilkins , I just re-read my post, and I'm sorry, but I don't see how you thought I meant you, but I apologize for this, because I had no intention to do so.
" I am not attacking anyone here, just pointing out something we are all guilty of to some degree."
" For those who keep them as members of the family (I'm kinda guilty of this) I would just caution you to be careful of the signs of stress."
Thank you for clarifying . This is not about me nore do I want to make it about me . Also it’s Hard to judge threw word or text what someone’s intention is without seeing emotion . I also get a new keeper may not know/understand stress . We can’t read their minds . We are not all conventional Keepers we all have lots to learn from each other .

I think threads like these can get blown out of proportion sometimes because of like what you said @Kristen Wilkins about not seeing emotion. That is just something we have to deal with since we can't all talk to each other in person (which would be pretty cool). It may seem as if some of the posts are pointed and rude, but just remember that if the person was actually talking to you it would probably sound a lot different. I am not going to add my opinion to this, since I don't really have one, and I think the thread is dying down anyway. No matter what my opinion is, I think the pictures are nice and I agree with the fact that chameleons are definitely loved family members :)

I guess if it just for a photo op, it MIGHT not be the end of the world and it would totally depend on the cham. I can't imagine them liking it too much though. My Chams would bite for sure. The only one that would tolerate it would be the little veiled girl I got from Jann. I never would have ever believed it in a million years, but that little girl would much rather be riding around on somebody's head than be in her cage.
Sounds like my little guy. He loves my head.

Back
Top Bottom