I hope to god i did not learn the hard way!

ataraxia

Avid Member
i notice pantha chews on leaves when he needs extra water and or vitamins. i dont know when he needs this until shows me the signs. **i should mark it on a calender and see if there is any timing. i come home today and a leaf is gone from a (non reptile brand) silk vine. i have previously tugged on these to see if they would come off and none did. possibly i could have missed this leaf. maybe over time with heat, water, age and factory defect the glue possibly becomes weak. anything is possible. (1)has anyone delt with this? he just had a movement yesterday and looked normal. (2)how long can a chameleon go without a bowel movement? approx 10-11 months old.

anyone from indiana here taken there chameleon to a specialized vet here in indiana. many vets claim to see them but actually they (i cant really put it how i want).

If you're sure he ate it, I would give him some mineral oil and hope he can pass it. Not sure a vet would be able to do much.

I used the guy off Michigan road in the past for snakes but no chameleons. I know the DR at VCA here in Noblesville off south 10th street is susposed to be ok and Josh's Frog's thinks he knows his stuff but once again I have only talked with him and not had him do any work. I hope he push's it out for you with no probs.

silk versus live plants

hi,i too once had silk plants purchased from a dollar store,to me the housing once i had them all hung everywhere looked fabulous but i was worried they may hold some kind of toxic chemical within the leaves and my chams would injest this substance and get sick or worse die,so i removed them and printed a long list of live plants they could eat if they so chose to and off i went to walmart list in hand..i found that my lrg cham loves his boston fern,he nibbles when he needs extra moisture and whatever else he gets fr it,its a soft place for him to perch on and he can hide amongst the frilly leaves...i have umbrella plants in my other two cham homes and they love them as well..i had removed the fern for a time but noticed now that my cham seems dehydrated,called vet and they said to soak him in luke warm baths often to help and i have today and already he seems to be comming around...and he is back on his fern and loving it like no tomorrow,he even nibbled a misted leaf..they hold alot of moisture and are easily digested...go real i say...they look better and most of all you never have to worry about toxins in fake plants..just be sure to repot in organic soil and wash the leaves well to remove any insecticides fr leaves before placing new plant in with your cham..good luck for your baby...wishing you both well:)

Tandra Lee: im going to look into the fern. thanks for the info.

Cain: i noticed him chewing at about 6 months of age (urates white). naturally.. i thought he is looking for a)food b)water c)vitamins/minerals. i havent took the time to narrow it down. i immediately went with b and c because he had ate earlier. got the syringe, bottled water and herptivite and off i went. 1.0 ml of water mixed with a small pinch of herptivite. he then will stop for a period of time (guessing 2-3 weeks) and then do it again. whether or not that is true reason i dont really know but that is what i do and he stops for a period of time. i am about to lose my job so i will probably have some time to make this a project. hopefully i can purchase another panther preferably a female to see if this happens to both sexes and if it has the same results.

Atraxia, time to get a dripper happening ,mate, much easier to have water avail all day than try to remember to hand water. Chewing leaves at 6 months would say to me 'I need more water', its usually the result of frustration trying to scrape water off leaves. (pers obs)
Your on the right track.
:)

Tandra, glad you worked out how to post. :)

Tandra Lee: im going to look into the fern. thanks for the info.

Cain: i noticed him chewing at about 6 months of age (urates white). naturally.. i thought he is looking for a)food b)water c)vitamins/minerals. i havent took the time to narrow it down. i immediately went with b and c because he had ate earlier. got the syringe, bottled water and herptivite and off i went. 1.0 ml of water mixed with a small pinch of herptivite. he then will stop for a period of time (guessing 2-3 weeks) and then do it again. whether or not that is true reason i dont really know but that is what i do and he stops for a period of time. i am about to lose my job so i will probably have some time to make this a project. hopefully i can purchase another panther preferably a female to see if this happens to both sexes and if it has the same results.

Cool. I wondered if there was something behind it;)

Back
Top Bottom