I hope I am just overreacting.

i have had panthers that do that alot in one case it was because she had a respiratory infection though but it was taken care of quick with no problems. Is he gasping?

i have had panthers that do that alot in one case it was because she had a respiratory infection though but it was taken care of quick with no problems. Is he gasping?
Yes my Frances to she has had a few and that was one of the first signs along with a cough . She also does it if it's to hot but she is a female so her temp are lower but she also requires low 80s .

Is there any change your thermometer could be wrong ? Is it battery operated ? Did echo have suporworms today ?
Thermometer is rather new, and most of the time, it's turned off so the battery doesn't die. It's digital. Yes, he did, but they were considerably smaller today.

Thermometer is rather new, and most of the time, it's turned off so the battery doesn't die. It's digital. Yes, he did, but they were considerably smaller today.
I only ask bc I had a Thermometer do wacky readings . I'm sorry there's not an answer for you . They sure worry us at time . It's maybe nothing at all . Just odd if echo has not done this and now 2 nights he has . Maybe your right it's some odd puberty thing .

Here is a link to a video of him. You can see, he does it when being left alone, but he closes it, in reaction to me/us. So it's not defensive. He isn't struggling for breath, and has no discharge or bubbles. He isn't acting like he is cold or hot. And if I dangle a worm, he will walk right up my arm and out of the cage to get it. So he isn't acting like he is stressed out or threatened either. This one really has me confused. And he has never done this before, except for the last 3 days in a row.He is getting close to 1 year old. Do they go through a phase of weirdness at this age? Or am I missing something here?
www.facebook.com/michelle.vincent.585?ref=bookmarks
Sorry the video is so long and shakey, and you probably want to mute the sound. My house really isn't that loud! But watch it to the end, please.

It's the first post on my profile page. It's the only way I could get a link for it. You Tube sucks.

That's what my guys are doing, it's definitely not a cham cough because he's not exhaling at all during the gape. The do it a lot more when it's cold outside even though my ambient thermostat never leaves 75. I am convinced it's the gas heat with my two, but there's probably several reasons for it. When my guys stretch before a facial shed, it looks like a yawn more than just a small gape.

As far as temp is concerned, I agree Kristin. Each chameleon is different. My chameleon seems happy with ~85. I would just go by the general rule of not going below 80 and above 95.

That's what my guys are doing, it's definitely not a cham cough because he's not exhaling at all during the gape. The do it a lot more when it's cold outside even though my ambient thermostat never leaves 75. I am convinced it's the gas heat with my two, but there's probably several reasons for it. When my guys stretch before a facial shed, it looks like a yawn more than just a small gape.
Yes Frances to looks like she unhinging her jaws when she stretching . Where if she's hot it looks like echo . Echo does not look like he's close to his basking though . It almost looks like a warning . Frances will do that over my hand if she's not in the mood for her feeder I'm offering or if she's being cranky . She will just hover over my hand just like that and if I move closer she will bit me . It's funny how they have all there's behaviors and if you really watch then and payattens you can read what they mean . For echo I have no idea . Maybe @jajeanpierre or @Nursemaia might have an idea they really know chameleon behavior .

Well, I am glad you all are just as confused as I am! If anything, his temps are too low rigbt now. And no, his breathing isn't labored. And it's not a defensive posture, b/c no one is near him when he does it. And as soon as you get near him, he closes it! o_O

Well, I am glad you all are just as confused as I am! If anything, his temps are too low rigbt now. And no, his breathing isn't labored. And it's not a defensive posture, b/c no one is near him when he does it. And as soon as you get near him, he closes it! o_O
So odd this will be a great learning tool for all us when u figure this out and I'm sure you will .

Back
Top Bottom