I hope I am just overreacting.

Angelwolf

Chameleon Enthusiast
My cham, Echo, is just shy of 1 year old. His cage setup, etc. are all within the recommended specs. (Not my first rodeo!) He is in good health, and even came over to the door today, to watch me getting his bugs for breakfast. That was quite the surprise, when I looked up and there was a cham face 3 inches from mine! He is happy, comfortable, and healthy. BUT, now this afternoon, he is sitting in his usual spot, under his heat lamp, ~84° F, holding his mouth open. If he is too hot, why doesn't he move? If he is cranky, why is he doing it when being left alone, but when I go over to his cage he closes it. I walk away, he opens it again. Could he just be being territorial? He ate well this am, and drinks every day. So I can't really figure out why he is doing this. And I am certain that he does not have a URI. No signs of illness, whatsoever. No noisy breathing, no bubbles, no crud, or discharge. He's just chilling there as if to say, I am grumpy. Come any closer and get bit. And I am not even near the cage! Any ideas?

Sometime there stretching if they have had a bigger feeder like hornworms . Frances has done it with hornworms also if her basking spot gets too warm She will do it as well anything above 82 she will be up there gaping .

Well, the temp of his basking spot was 82.4, yesterday, and it was quite warm in the house, but he did it all afternoon long. And why wouldn't he just move to a different area of the cage, to cool off? I'm kind of anxious for "lights on" today, to see if he does it today.

Well, the temp of his basking spot was 82.4, yesterday, and it was quite warm in the house, but he did it all afternoon long. And why wouldn't he just move to a different area of the cage, to cool off? I'm kind of anxious for "lights on" today, to see if he does it today.
Try like 80 or 81 see if that's better . What did echo have for feeders ?

A couple of crickets and about 10 superworms. He ran around all over the place hunting, in the am. I do know a couple of the superworms were pretty darn big, even for a superworm! Maybe that's all it was. But why he would do it all afternoon. I'm kind of leaning towards the temperature, though.

Angelwolf. I know it stress you out, your doing great for care (y) Gas heat is dry ,i've been putting a Corning ware pot with water on our gas stove.
Also maybe bring up more time duration on the misting possibly. Warm showers help aslo.

This post is about an adult male veiled. Basking should be in the 90s. You are correct if you are talking about a female. Which we are not.
Yes you are correct I just reread the care sheet 90 to 95 for adult males . So maybe there's something to the dryness . There's been quite a few threads with this issues over the past few day . Thank you for the correction with male temps ;).

Hmm. His basking spot was 85 today. I had a 100w bulb on him, but decreased it to a 75. So it's about 80ish right now. Unfortunately, I can't do warm showers right now. No gas utility. :( we have been resorting to using space heaters, and radiator units. But they have been off, because we have been having outside temps in the 50s which is very unusual for the end of January in NW PA. Even after lowering the temp today, he is still gaping. Maybe some hormonal thing, or puberty? Like he has lizard PMS? I cant figure it out. He is otherwise fine, and acts normally. o_O

Hmm. His basking spot was 85 today. I had a 100w bulb on him, but decreased it to a 75. So it's about 80ish right now. Unfortunately, I can't do warm showers right now. No gas utility. :( we have been resorting to using space heaters, and radiator units. But they have been off, because we have been having outside temps in the 50s which is very unusual for the end of January in NW PA. Even after lowering the temp today, he is still gaping. Maybe some hormonal thing, or puberty? Like he has lizard PMS? I cant figure it out. He is otherwise fine, and acts normally. o_O
So not temp that's getting low . Maybe @Nursemaia , @jajeanpierre , or @jannb might have an idea ?

The only other thing I can think of would be that he is very annoyed with the fruit flies, which we seem to have an infestation of. They swarm in his cage, and he doesn't even try to eat them.

Back
Top Bottom