I havent been here in awhile, but sure could use some help

frantzann1

izzy 1.jpg
izzy 1.jpg
izzy.jpg
Hello everyone,

I have a Chameleon name Izzy and he will be 1 at the end of November and he is so nasty and mean. You can open his cage and put water in his fountain and he is fine, but if you start to put your hand any where near him he starts hissing and lunging at you. If I'm standing there in front of his cage and talk to him he does look at me with both eyes and he doesn't move away, if I open his cage and talk to him you can tell he watches closely. So I don't know what to do he isn't even his pretty green anymore so I'm not sure if he is unhappy with his cage. He eats 8 medium crickets a day with calcium or multi vitamin and mist him with water.

Many veileds are territorial in their cages, and he's reacting to you the intruder. He is feeling his hormones at this age which is pretty normal. His coloration is also affected by hormones and many veileds go through a less colorful phase from 7 months to a year old.

There are ways you can "remind" him that you are not a threat, and ways to coax him out of his cage. Often, once they are removed from their territories, they mellow out, especially once they learn that there are nice places to be carried to in your house (a nice sunny window or some exercise in a fake tree for example).

Have you offered him favorite feeders as treats by hand? It can teach him that your approach is the time for good things to happen. Chams are individuals, so they vary in how much they'll welcome. Can't change their basic nature, but you can teach him not to resent you as much.

You can coax him onto your hand or a hand held perch by nudging his hind feet and tail with another stick. As he moves toward you, keep nudging. Then take him out of the cage on that perch. Take him to a free range area, a big potted plant or window sill. Once he realizes there are other places to sit in the room he'll be more interested in getting out of his cage.

When I try to nudge him a little he whips his head and hisses and lunges. He does like sitting in the window it takes awhile to get him out. I have also opened his cage and let him come out on his own and he will do that sometimes. I'm going to start coaxing him with treats. The picture of his cage does it look ok for him? thank you for your help

I think he needs a bit more coverage through out the middle of his cage which will help with his security. How large is his cage? Do you have a uvb light, I don't see one... The water fountain should be taken out and be replaced with a misting system. Has he ever actually bitten you? Or is what he doing mostly bluffing and displaying?

Back
Top Bottom