I have too many animals

Will the hive have a pollen collector on it?
I learn so much here.
Didn't even know what a pollen collector was.
Thank you Kinyonga and google. Always a deeper aspect to the hobbies. (y)

Attachments

• bee pollen collector.jpg
    bee pollen collector.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 54
Will the hive have a pollen collector on it?
no the bees collect pollen, spread it from flower to flower and use some to make honey and wax that they store the honey in. If you are more interested I recommend going to the flow hive channel on YouTube.. Here is the layout of one style hive called flow hive. it is a very basic layout but their videos great to inform you. if you are interested in collecting pollen you can add a pollen collector to a different style hive.
flow-hive-2-plus-6frame-features-map.png

I already know quite a bit about hives and bees and all...I have friends who keep bees and sell the honey they make...but I might check the website out anyhow. I would have a hive on my property but there are too many people here who use pesticides. My daughter might do it though since she lives in the country.
If you're unlucky you might even get waxworms from the hives. I had asked my friends to give them to me if they ever got any rather than destroying them.

I already know quite a bit about hives and bees and all...I have friends who keep bees and sell the honey they make...but I might check the website out anyhow. I would have a hive on my property but there are too many people here who use pesticides. My daughter might do it though since she lives in the country.
If you're unlucky you might even get waxworms from the hives.i had asked my friends to give them to me if they ever got any rather than destroying them.
super cool having similar issues because of pesticides. I had a feeling you would know about this though.

I learn so much here.
Didn't even know what a pollen collector was.
I'm gonna take a SWAG/stab in the dark and guess it's a thing that collects pollen.
How'm I doing? :p

Here is the layout of one style hive called flow hive.
Looks like the laser-cut Swiss chalet of beehives! 😁

1621533893360.png
1621533859686.png

Ah, if I were 30 years younger and weren't deathly allergic to bee stings... (heavy sigh)

After they are all eating for about a month or so, I give them away. I make up little contracts with educational stuff and give a bag of food.
I am getting ready to contact Vet. to see if male turtle can be fixed. I wanted to stop a few years ago but son was moving and took in his turtle. YEP! male.. It had short nails so tricked me...

But, maybe it happened for this moment in time and to share.. :) (y) :unsure:

After they are all eating for about a month or so, I give them away. I make up little contracts with educational stuff and give a bag of food.
I am getting ready to contact Vet. to see if male turtle can be fixed. I wanted to stop a few years ago but son was moving and took in his turtle. YEP! male.. It had short nails so tricked me...

But, maybe it happened for this moment in time and to share.. :) (y) :unsure:
Neutering a male turtle will only stop her from producing fertile eggs...I think she will still produce eggs.

Yeah-- I did get rid of all the males for a few years (before son game me Lucky) and she just started laying infertile eggs which was awesome. It took almost 2 years before the eggs were infertile (2 clutches) which brings us to 3 total years.
Note: 30 plus year old children can and might leave you their turtle.. :ROFLMAO: (y)

I have checked into the neutering of turtles years ago-- back then it was uncommon and usually done if there was damage done or harmful for the female to lay. Mid week I will let everyone know what the vet said. Lucky is semi-family so will be kept either way and I will just have to figure things out. Since he hand feeds maybe there is another way-- turtle birth control pill or drops-- One never knows until it is thought of or asked.. If other already know, please advise. (y)

Last edited:
Yeah-- I did get rid of all the males for a few years (before son game me Lucky) and she just started laying infertile eggs which was awesome. It took almost 2 years before the eggs were infertile (2 clutches) which brings us to 3 total years.
Note: 30 plus year old children can and might leave you their turtle.. :ROFLMAO: (y)

I have checked into the neutering of turtles years ago-- back then it was uncommon and usually done if there was damage done or harmful for the female to lay. Mid week I will let everyone know what the vet said. Lucky is semi-family so will be kept either way and I will just have to figure things out. Since he hand feeds maybe there is another way-- turtle birth control pill or drops-- One never knows until it is thought of or asked.. If other already know, please advise. (y)
Well...once again in birds (sorry guys, I KNOW birds aren't chams but this is what I know)...we use a (injectable) human drug called Lupron which shuts down the reproductive cycle. I believe in humans it is used in fertility treatments with the idea of shut down all activity and then hit with a whammy of hormones to start it back up big time. Used very frequently in birds that lay too many eggs and shuts that down, or who have inoperable female reproductive cancers that are fed by female hormones. Problem is, it only last a couple of months. So for those who must have the activity shut down all the time there is an implantable form called Deslorelin that lasts 6 months to a year. Lots of backyard chicken lovers use this when it becomes risky or problematic for their hens to keep laying. Problem is it is about $1000 I think for a chicken as dosing goes by weight. Also interestingly I think it is used on male show dogs before a show so they don't try to mount all the females and referred to as "chemical neutering" obviously reversible.

If the vet does all exotics he/she should know about this or could certainly ask on VIN.

Who knows..if works on turtles maybe there is a way to use for female veileds, too! That could be a game changer. Off to send a text to my cham vet...

Back
Top Bottom