I have too many animals

No the toucan stays at our store. Although a previous toucan used to attack my cats!
I've seen people who let their cats and large birds co mingle. I just have a sweet little parakeet, and theres no way I would ever let my cat near him. Haha. Though the cat stalks him like I might let him get the birdy one day. 😂

oops! Forgot about this--- More opossum stuff.
I forget things until searching for other pictures.. Here is mama and 2nd picture was one of the 4 babies. He ate 4 superworms but was glad they wanted a free meal.
I did clean all the garbage out and replaced with rain water containers.

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 87
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 87
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 77
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 80
  • 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 89
  • 015.jpg
    015.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 95
Great questions! I use to work as a cable technician and would find babies in yard of customers. So figured I would try to save the little ones. I learned if they (babies) fall off the mother sometimes she just leaves them. They were all (only twice) still with their eyes partially open, so gave them a helping hand.
I called Collège Station - UoT and someone gave me the scoop on how to care for them.

They have no smell to them and "anoint" themselves so predators can't smell them. I use to raise hedgehogs and they did the same thing.
Eat, chew, and lick their fur.. Or roll in the garbage (or fecal matter from other animals), that is what the opossums would do.
They were litter trained after a while and would eventually use a tub with water to go. They were like having a cat that did not like to be held and moved a lot at night. Their eye sight is almost non-existent but could smell and hear everything. Not recommended as a pet---

Once they were adults, the school helped me teach them to find food in the wild and were released. That was the norm back them.

Now every time I see a dead opossum I have to check for babies.. Horrible habit ---The one I found a few months ago (dead in the road) had 9 babies that were alive. I tried to amazon some food and supplies but it was going to take to long, so took them to Animal Control and they knew of someone that could take care of them.. Darn! Amazon--- But have all the supplies now..
how often do you find ones that have been hit that have babies??
now i feel bad for all the opossums on the side of the road, what if they have babies!🥺

I have only found 2 in the last 8 years, but did see about 5 with bigger babies that tried to crawl out on their own. Even the little pink babies will eventually move out if there is no food (have seen that with the ones that have been dead for awhile.

They are capable of breeding twice a year with gestation about 2 weeks.

Youtube has some awesome videos on how to feed the pink ones. Seems odd but when baby birds are hand feed, food is forced into their bellies too (I had cockatiels many years ago, and found some baby wild birds over the years).

How much does a toucan costs if you dont mind me asking?
Well Zazu was a rescue, and my previous toucan, a large one called a Swainson's, was a rescue from NIcholas Cage (so, free!). The male was beating her up. Normally, a Swainson's is around $3000 and the small ones a bit less, but the fruit loop one (Toco) goes for $5K or more-it is really variable.

Because of this there are many unscrupulous people in the business or offering birds (just like with expensive, desirable chams)

Here's me with Saffron. Needless to say like a big puppy!

Attachments

• What can I say.jpg
    What can I say.jpg
    226.4 KB · Views: 84
Lol, only too many if you can't handle it. At one point had over 80 in care during an exceptionally good wall lizard breeding season. Recently lost my Podarcis siculus campestris colony I've had for 6+ years due to a power outage. Thank God everyone else was in a separate building were I was able to hook up a generator. Currently keeping
1.0 Anolis aeneus
1.2 Anolis allisoni
1.2 Anolis chlorocyanus
2.2 Anolis distichus floridiensis
2.0 Anolis sagrei
1.0 Gonatodes albogularis fuscus
1.0 Gongylophis colubrinus
0.0.1 Leiocephalus schreibersii
1.1 Lygodact williamsi
1.3 Phelsuma grandis
1.3 Podarcis siculus campestris
1.1 Podarcis siculus klemmeri
1.1 Podarcis siculus siculus (Naples)
1.1 Trioceros deremensis
1.1.1 Trioceros hoehnelii (Narobi)
1.0 Uromastyx greyi
Hey! Any chance you would be interested in selling you anolis allisoni or be able to point me in the direction of a breeder? I’m looking for a male and female. They are SO hard to track down! I would be willing to pay a finders fee too.

Hey! Any chance you would be interested in selling you anolis allisoni or be able to point me in the direction of a breeder? I’m looking for a male and female. They are SO hard to track down! I would be willing to pay a finders fee too.
I'm actually looking to breed them. They been on bucket list for a while. I know someone else with the same Cuba locale I have & someone with the Honduran ones. PM me and I can pass on your info. Hoping to breed this summer

Well!!!!!!!!!! My Yellow Spotted Climbing Toad journey.
So in 2017 I started looking for YSCTs and contacted the only breeder listed as having CB ones. Josh's Frogs. So for a few years I kept asking about their breeding program and one year the females did not produce eggs, so they found or used different ones. (breeding is done only during their season which is once per year- what I have been told).
So the wait went until last year 2020 with the first ones for sale in Feb. The price went up to 99.00 from 69.99 in the years past (maybe it was a sale). Anyways, my stubborn personality closed the door for the toads do to the price change ( figured I should have been grandfathered into the old price since I was going to wait so many years). I know it was dumb.
New frog place had 9 for sale so I purchased 4 (they were from Josh's Frogs) --- I only wanted 1 female since they have such a pretty Aqua blue with yellow spots as adults. I bought 4 so I would get at lease 1 female(1st pic 3/4" in size) . My luck after 6 months turned out 2 pair and they have been fun to watch and males make their quacking croak sound. Last picture was taken this morning 3-15-2021 Female is about 4" and male 2".

Attachments

• IMG_20200806_132801.jpg
    IMG_20200806_132801.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_20200809_195606.jpg
    IMG_20200809_195606.jpg
    244.1 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_20200830_214015.jpg
    IMG_20200830_214015.jpg
    227.1 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_20200923_064132.jpg
    IMG_20200923_064132.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 65
  • PXL_20201220_014221222.jpg
    PXL_20201220_014221222.jpg
    279.3 KB · Views: 68
  • PXL_20210315_142322264 (1).jpg
    PXL_20210315_142322264 (1).jpg
    204.4 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
Yes you must never hesitate with rare reptiles. That is why I bought 20 monkey frogs at one time. Most of the time they are completely unavailable and there are always losses :(
Hopefully these are not too hard to breed? That blue is really gorgeous.
The phyllomedusa are nearly impossible and yes you only get one shot per year. The time is coming up soon so I am going to try....Have to time a rain chamber with presence ofnuptial pads and actual rain (quite a crapshoot in SoCal). anyway they are in a cooling period now to prepare.

I have watched your species pop up over the last few years and you must have gotten a great deal. Very rare!
The toads, if they lay eggs I will see if Josh or the Frog place wants to have them. To much work.. I did white's tree frogs for a few years (just getting tadpoles and raising to adults) Fun but done!

Back
Top Bottom