I handle my chameleon a lot but...

A lot of people say chameleons get stressed out a lot but when I try to handle my chameleon at any time it NEVER stresses out... So does mean he's a friendly chameleon or is it because he's still young?

Maybe I can explain it like this....you have to give a speech but you appear outwardly calm...nobody thinks its bothering you....while inside your stomach is full of butterflies. That's a silent stress.

Lol not too useful... my senegal is very calm and acts if he wants to be handled but really.. im no chameleon wisperer and he may not like it. Although no color change due to stress was noticed either.guess it just depends on the cham and mood rather. Remember to have as clean hands as possible bc some oils and chemicals will transfer. Maybe leading to illness. I use unsented baby wash. And wash after!

Agreed! But, if your doing the dishes... or let's say cleaning the countertops with bleach cleaner... even the most minuscule chemical, I personally wouldn't risk it. The coat of mucus on an Amphibians skin definitely will transfer anything much easier.

I'm no chameleon whisperer either but I think that my panther cham likes to be held. He climbs right onto my hand when it enters his cage. He really likes to perch on my shoulder, especially when I'm outside watering our plants.

How can you tell they are stressed? I do not want to stress our Chameleon out but how do you enjoy them as pets if you don't handle them? I don't even have ours yet as we are still trying to do research on ligit breeders to purchase from.

how do you enjoy them as pets if you don't handle them?

I always tell people to think of Chameleons as Tropical fish... More for looking at than handling

You can enjoy them without having to hold them and play with them all the time. They are interesting to watch... watch climb, watch eat, watch their eyes move about, watch their funny feet, watch them change color. even watch sleep!

let me give you my point of view...

many chameleons don't like or love us, but they may enjoy using us as a taxi.
with that said, I think that chameleon owners can sometimes be more stressed out then the animals.

as for knowing when they are stressed out, you will understand and know for the most part as you learn each and every chameleon that you may in time have. stress with them is normally not hidden and can be noticed by someone who is observent. arm movements, head, tail, eyes, will all show you just what is going on if your willing to learn.

this is not to say that keeping a chameleon is hard as long as you follow some basic rules and realise that you just gata get in it and hope your first is as magical as many of us have been lucky to own. if so, it can be a wild ride into something I never thought would be so amazing.
plus you get to talk with some crazy folks like me who understand that some of my chameleons can be quite friendly and even interested in strangers.

Harry

I always tell people to think of Chameleons as Tropical fish... More for looking at than handling

You can enjoy them without having to hold them and play with them all the time. They are interesting to watch... watch climb, watch eat, watch their eyes move about, watch their funny feet, watch them change color. even watch sleep!

they are soo cute..this is what i love to do..but i do have to say my chams have a weird thing about wanting to climb on to me wether im feeding them, watering them, cleaning them, or just watching them..they always climb towards me and if i put my hand ou they climb right on like no tomarrow...i never notice any color difference other than lightening up just a bit ..ive seen them mad, or discormforted, and happy and lightened up..they "look" happy to me from what i know, (color, behavior, and movement)..they seem calm and chill on me..eat and drink while being held, and while in the tree..seems like they like the attention, and take human interaction as a positive now, maybe because they are captive bred or just because i have always been there for them(food, water, comfort....)..but my chams seem to love me, and always await my arrival in the room(like a dog :) )

Omg that's so true! Aha but when you have a chance to carry it then it's even more interesting to look at them up close on your hand and it's fun when they walk on you :D

Back
Top Bottom